Thread: Make Your Own Protein Drink

Make Your Own Protein Drink

Greetings,

This is in response to Oso's thread "Rate This Drink."

There was a time when athletes made their own drinks, oftentimes safeguarding the ingredients. We need to really get back to taking an active role in our nutrition and in doing so get back in touch with our wild creative side.

Here is one pre-workout formula: (you will need a juicer for step one)

Step 1:

Carrots
    Apples

Create enough juice for 8 ounces

Step 2

Protein Powder 1 scoop
    Lecithin 1 teaspoon
    8 ounces of water

Step 3:

Combine the two together and drink 1/2 hour to 1 hour before practice. One should take this with a vitamin.

This is a simple base that can be varied according to your needs.

Additional recipes are most welcome. Let's bring back that creative element to our self maintenance.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-20-2005 at 04:18 PM.

I posted a bunch of juice recipes a couple of months ago. I mixed them up in lots of different threads, though. They were all just fruit and vegetable juices - not protein supplemented. FWIW, anything I throw in my juicer tastes good.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Hi Toby,

Sometimes it is good to reemphasize an old point. I am in complete agreement with you.

mickey

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I just read this booklet on supplements given to me by a friend.

I left it at the school but will post tomorrow with his name to see if you guys know him. He is basically advocating not buying the major manufacturers supplements and using bulk products to make your own shakes and pills.

sounds basically ok on the first read but his approach is a little salesmanish so I'm a bit skeptical.

while that Sobe drink may not be optimum and the sugar content is VERY high, it does offer, I think, more than anything else on the market besides $4-$5 Twinlab/EAS/whatever drinks.

plus...it mixes well with gin....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Hi Oso,

The only change that I made in that recipe to make it safe was the use of protein powder. The original ingredient was raw egg; so, in times past there was no real dependance on protein powders and what the fitness industry dictates that you need.

In those days, a post workout anti-oxidant flush was a quart of orange juice. I think some athletes still do this.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-21-2005 at 07:50 AM.