Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Hollywood the "Kiss of Death" for Marvel Comics?

Who's going to see ANT-MAN

I find myself a little nostalgic for some of those visuals. Ants are now cool.

Name:  AntMan54b5cd0c53e97.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  39.8 KB

Greetings,

I was shocked to see I started this thread.

Thank you Jimbo and MarathonTmatt for your discussion on ComiCon. It was not until today that I realized that ComicCon was short for Comic Book Convention. I went to those back in the mid/late seventies (I think). The attendance was such that you could walk around blindfolded and not bump into anybody. It was a serious buy/sell event. Was was noted in my memory from those times was that the adults still had a youthful enthusiasm. It was like they were adult children.

I got out of the comic books because of the change in intensity of the colors during that time. They were not as intense as before. Though not aware of it at the time, comics were like color therapy for me.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-18-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Marvel Studios' Ant-Man and the Wasp - Official Trailer

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our newest exclusive web article

The Monkey King & Ant-Man? READ ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: Size Matters by Patrick Lugo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$68M in PRC

China Box Office: 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' Buzzes Away With $68 Million
    9:13 PM PDT 8/26/2018 by Patrick Brzeski

Marvel
    'Ant-Man and the Wasp'

The Paul Rudd superhero pic scored Marvel's fourth-biggest China opening ever, while Warner Bros' 'The Meg' climbed toward $150 million.
    Finally opening seven weeks after its U.S. debut, Disney and Marvel's Ant-Man and the Wasp racked up a strong $68 million start at the Chinese box office over the weekend.

Only two Hollywood titles — Avengers: Infinity War ($201 million) and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ($134 million) — have scored bigger openings in the massive China market this year.

The Paul Rudd superhero sequel is pacing well ahead of the first Ant-Man film, which opened in China to $43 million in 2015. The big China bow also lifted the sequel past its predecessor at the worldwide box office: Ant-Man 2's global haul now sits at $544 million compared with the first film's $519 million final total.

The outsized start also is the fourth-biggest debut ever for a Marvel film in the Middle Kingdom, trailing only Avengers: Age of Ultron, Avengers: Infinity War and Captain America: Civil War.

Ant-Man 2's China tally included $7.2 million from Imax, which is the giant screen operator's biggest August opening weekend to date.

The big numbers were buttressed by positive word of mouth: the film scored 8.9/10 on Chinese ticketing app Maoyan and 7.5/10 from local reviews aggregator Douban.

Ant-Man 2 won't have too long to rack up the RMB, however. Paramount's Mission: Impossible — Fallout, with strong marketing support from local Internet giant Alibaba, is set to unfurl Friday.

Debuting in second place over the weekend, Hong Kong action comedy Big Brother, starring Donnie Yen (Rogue One, Ip Man) as a former special forces soldier turned high school teacher, earned $13 million.

Warner Bros.' giant shark hit The Meg, meanwhile, added $7 million in its third frame, taking its total to $144.2 million. The film is a co-production with China's Gravity Pictures and co-stars Chinese actress Li Bingbing opposite Jason Statham.

Other upcoming U.S. releases in China include STX Entertainment's I Feel Pretty, which will test Chinese appetite for contemporary U.S. comedy when it bows Wednesday, and Studio 8's prehistoric adventure pic Alpha, opening Sept. 7 and looking to make up ground after a soft start stateside.
    I forgot Li Bingbing was in The Meg. Not really worthy of me starting a thread on that though, unless someone else want to do so.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips