Thread: From theory to testing ground.

Knifefighter Guest

From theory to testing ground.

Here’s an excellent article by Burton Richardson on the benefits of "reality-based" training.

http://dogbrothers.com/articles/rules.htm

A few quotes:

"Through practice and play, stickfighters have discovered so many ways of defending against an opponent that it would literally
    take many lifetimes to get through most of the possibilities. These techniques have been developed just as the scientist
    develops a possible solution to an aeronautical problem. Unfortunately, there is one major difference that separates the
    scientist from most martial artists. The researcher must take each theory into the lab and test it to determine its validity. Most
    stickfighters or martial artists in general don't try out their new ideas under combat conditions before passing them on to
    students. The theory is often just presented as fact. This is not a scientific approach.

Imagine that you were boarding a brand new jet that is sitting on a runway under stormy skies. You click on your brand new seat
    belt and ready yourself for the safety announcement. The captain's voice comes on the intercom, and he tells you of the great
    features of this new plane: "Every new innovation to save fuel is on this airship. Lighter material for the wings, a new wing and
    body shape to minimize drag and maximize lift, along with a new type of landing gear which uses less wheels. The engines are
    a radical new design, and the fuel is a different mixture. Oh, and by the way, this will be the first time this type of plane has ever
    actually flown." Does your heart go up in your throat? Is it fear that is making you start to sweat? The thought of going into a
    life-threatening situation without any prior testing is a little unnerving, but this is exactly what occurs in most martial arts. The
    willingness to test is what makes the merry band of happy-go-lucky martial artists known as "The Dog Brothers" unique. They
    have taken theoretical stickfighting and thrown it right into the laboratory using themselves as guinea pigs.

… it's an all-out free for all. Full power strikes to any part of the body are allowed. Those strikes can be with the
    stick, fist, elbow, knee, or foot. Sweeps, trips, throws, trapping, and grappling are all allowed as well. This is a rough
    environment that closely simulates street conditions. The experience is invaluable in understanding real stickfighting. Guess
    what happens when a person who is trained with the stick gets into the lab for the first time? Well, usually it results in that
    person going home and working on the basics harder than ever. They have jumped into the fire and experience just how hot it
    really is. No amount of description can explain what it is like to stickfight at this level. People watching for the first time are
    amazed to see men taking full-power shots to the legs, arms, and ribs with seemingly little effect. Why the amazement?
    Because theories that are taken as fact are often disproved in the Dog Brothers' laboratory.

Grappling does occur in stickfights. Inexperienced stickfighters often assume that the fight will never make it to the ground
    because it will be finished before the opponent can close the distance. In the lab we found another story. Although the entries
    are different from the unarmed variety, grappling does happen."
    t

shaolinboxer Guest
    One of our kung fu brother should enter a dog brother's match with a long pole, or a 3 section staff. Any takers?

It would also be intersting to see a kendo player take one of these guys on.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
    - Cat

Water Dragon Guest

The two most beautiful words in Kung Fu

1. Experiment
    2. Laboratory

The article get a thumbs up from H2O

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Watchman Guest

I liked this quote:

There are many misconceptions in the world of stickfighting that have been waylaid by Eric Knauss, Marc Denny, Arlan Sanford, and other first-tier fighters in the group. The first assumption put to rest is that the stick has some kind of magical power, and that anyone being touched on the body with a stick will be instantly incapacitated.

I think that this idea (The first assumption put to rest is that the stick has some kind of magical power) could be applied to any weapon.

Thanks for the article, Knifefighter.

Braden Guest
    (nt)

rogue Guest
    Good stuff KF. There's a big difference between theory and knowing.

From now on, enemies who are associated with terrorist activity will not cohabit the globe with the United States of America. William F. Buckley

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban soon to be getting his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” [I]Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his open mobile line right before rushi

BaekHoKwan Guest
    Good article. If you're not pressure testing your skills, you're not training them for combat. You might as well take a dance class.

C. Martin
    "Pain is Neccessary!"

halfling Guest
    And whats wrong with taking a dance class? :-)

jimmy23 Guest
    excellent article!

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
    Spinning Backfist

bamboo_ leaf Guest
    Knifefighter,

Nice article.

There seems to be only certain forums that this testing is considered valid.
    Is this true?

The assumption seems to be that those who do not test/compete in these forums have no skills, instead of don’t care for these forums.

Just wondering.

I keep seeing many CMA people ask others to do what they cannot or don’t want to.
    I say this as a CMA. Your art and skill and what people think are directly related to:
    How well you know your art.
    How hard do you train?
    How real is your training, tested by any means that satisfies your needs at your level.

If it doesn’t work, train until it dose or do something else.

Young Americans get ready,
    time to pay that e-ticket

return to the wheel of life, not ready yet

bamboo leaf

SevenStar Guest
    good stuff

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
    like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Grappling-Insanity Guest
    Very, very good!