Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What have been your best and worst purchases from Martialartsmart (Tigerclaw)?

C: That's actually red trim - bad pic. I have a policy against pink stuff around here and I'm amazed at how many times I must invoke it.
    There's a dirty joke ****ed, locked and ready to rock in there, but I wouldn't go there.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Re: Great comments everyone! Thanks!

Originally posted by GeneChing
    BMB: I understand that we're abandoning TC2000 and upgrading to a new line. After all, it's 2005. But I'm not sure about this tho, it's not my department exactly.
    Didn't mean to come off so negative, I really do love my cotton shin guards.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

best and worst

BMB: No worries - I'd rather you make honest criticisms than guard your comments. It's not like I'm going to ban anyone for not liking MartialArtsMart.com products. We like to hear your negative feedback too - it's the only way we can improve service.

R: They tease me with pink around here, ESPECIALLY DESIGN SIFU. They do things in pink just to taunt me. Superman has kryptonite; I have pink trim.

P: Try 510-656-5100 X105
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Originally posted by themeecer
    What's more I don't have access to many of the forms taught out in our system. (Not saying I am adding this ... just studying it)

And if you want to go down that road start another thread so this one doesn't go off topic. I think this one will be a good way for us to make wise purchases in the future.
    OT- sorry.

Meecer, PM me what forms you would like and I might be able to help.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

best: kungfu magazine 10th anniv cover masters demonstrations. A whole bunch of the sifus everyone hears about on these forums in there, even though the stage was a little small and ceiling a little low (at least for 3 section staff). The slow mo replays faded into real time were cool.

worst: I havent bought anything else yet.

Talking

They tease me with pink around here, ESPECIALLY DESIGN SIFU. They do things in pink just to taunt me. Superman has kryptonite; I have pink trim.

There! You see?

You see what I have to freakin' deal with?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene said, he has pink trim. Huh huh huh huh. Gene is so cool. Huh huh huh huh. Bet he has a Winger t-shirt. Huh huh huh huh.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

wow rogue

That even made you sig. I'm honored....I think

And I don't have a Winger T-shirt. I have a New Kids on the Block T-shirt, but no Winger T-shirts...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I haven't been disappointed with anything from MAM so far

I've ordered some Shi Guolin vids, feiyues, KFTC mag subscription to Uk - no problems, prompt UPS delivery.

However, I can't believe some of the rubbish that you guys order....hansen nunchaku vids? eh? My anti BS forcefields prevented me from clicking on that one...

PE
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Thumbs down Shaolinlube

Hey the ninjettes will never go to you and you know who is the true inheriter of the tong bei form from Hangzhou, me.

Re: Shaolinlube

Originally posted by ShaolinJOJO
    Hey the ninjettes will never go to you and you know who is the true inheriter of the tong bei form from Hangzhou, me.
    learn to spell my name right my younger pupil. oh yeah i got some more pics they sent me form china. and if your the inheriter... watch out for those low cielings
    plus gene can verify this, I have tons of nacho covered injettes in my basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Best: the Got Qi? shirt that I am wearing right now (we should start a Got Qi? thread).

Good: Pretty much everything I've bought. I spent $300 (which is, to date, the most I've ever spent at one time. Hell, that's more than my monthly car payment!) on new sparring gear and my students haven't ripped through it (and it's still solid). The soft stick; while I prefer the rougher outside of the old one bought from my old school, the inside dowell is very strong and is great for beating senior students like an angry old chinese man.

Bad: The turtle with the Om symbol will not stay on its ring no matter how many times I've busted out the needle nose plyers. So instead of a keychain, it sits on my windowsil. I think I forget I own it 1/2 the time

the Ugly: I lost the left focus mit in a matter of about... oooh.. 24 - 48 hours? Dead serious. It has to be in my basement, but I d@mn near looked through that place with a fine toothed comb. But they costed, what, $17? No big loss for me!

Hey Gene - tell the Dudes over at TC that if they can produce a high quality focus mitt like the ones that Starpak makes, I'll promote it! My Sifu custom designed a pair that starpak sells and it's the best mitt I've ever used. I'll send pics if they can reverse engineer it and sell it for less than $60
    But keep those $17 ones! I tell all my students to buy them if they can't afford the ones that starpak issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I disavow any knowledge of what lies in Shaolinlueb's basement

We had two Got Qi threads - one here on the main forum (which I don't feel like digging up right at this moment) and another here on the TC Media forum .

There's a funny story with the Hansen videos. We occassionally get criticized for not promoting as many non-Asian masters, so when we were working on doing a new nunchaku video series, when Hansen came to us with the bid, everyone was happy. Little did we realize that white boys don't sell. OK, that's a joke, don't get all racially offended here now...

As for high end gear, we're slowly moving that direction. There are some other companies that have that market well cornered, so our progress there is not that aggressive, but we are researching it. Keep in mind, it's a huge investment to develop a new product. It's not like we have a product development lab here. And if it doesn't sell, we lose a lot.

Are we going to have to separate Lueb and Jojo?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: I disavow any knowledge of what lies in Shaolinlueb's basement

Originally posted by GeneChing
    There's a funny story with the Hansen videos. We occassionally get criticized for not promoting as many non-Asian masters, so when we were working on doing a new nunchaku video series, when Hansen came to us with the bid, everyone was happy. Little did we realize that white boys don't sell. OK, that's a joke, don't get all racially offended here now...
    Hey now ... I'm racially offended. That is exactly why I bought the video ... it has a fellow honky in it ... I just knew it had to be good. I was trying to support my fellow white man in an asian dominated market ... but the man keeps holding us back.

Honestly it was the description of the nunchakus that drew me in. I figured while I was getting those I might as well pick up a DVD or two of his. Like I said earlier ... the chucks are very well made .. but are very very light. Also one of the DVDs has a good demo on how to restring your chucks when they wear out or if you don't like the original string length. May contact Hansen through his site and see if they make chucks out of anything more heavy weight. Since he can do it in red white and blue mettalic or any other combo you could ask for, maybe he can make it out of different materials.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)