Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: White Ape sets

Well I'm far from being an authority on this but:

18elders said: "the tightness of the stance is used to check, trap or attack your opponents front leg and also protect your groin. the extended stance doesn't offer this."

You may be correct in that the extended stance doesn't offer this but I believe in the context of the form you are using the extended version of the stance to trip your opponent (your lead leg behind his) with a waist chop motion or punch.

shang wu said: "the stance I think we are talking about is used in waist chopping so in the right place it is not vulnerable to a sweep"

See? It's all about using the right tools for the job.

flem said: "the Pong Lai version seems as though it could easily be "over run" with a lunge or charge forward"

I was thinking the opposite. Since their momentum is moving forward what braces them from a pulling action?

HLL

the close stance does the same in the waist chop as your thinking.

Flem , yes we question and then we are shown the difference to understand why we are doing it that way.
    That is one of the great things about master shr, you can ask anything and he will show you.

As for changing the stance, i think you defeat the purpose of its use.

Wish more people would have come to train with master Shr when he was here.

This master sher guy sounds like a great guy to train with. It is nice to ask a question and get a reply. That is the way it should work.

sayloc

Yes it is nice to be able to ask questions and get answers.

Don't get me wrong, my stance is closer to what you guys do and I have a little trouble getting the extended version right. But I do see more balance and more tripping area available with the longer stance.

There seems to be more of a forward motion with your version rather than the twisting takedown motion needed for the app.

All in all neither one is right or wrong, just personal preference.

Hua Lin,

I'm confused! Perhaps we're thinking of dfferent things.

18 Elders,

I agree with the purpose of an in-fighting stance is to remain tight-un exposed, but what about it's use from a distance, before the distance is bridged? Are you saying that another "ready posture is used, or are you using this same tight, in fighting posture before the range is closed?

Hua Lin,

I just re-read your post and I think I understand. You are assuming (I think), that the tight stancer has the ability to apply whatever skill they will use effectively, I'm assuming they are not. I feel like if two people are squared off to fight, that the tight stance would inhibit motion, well, I should say, a more open stance would allow a quicker change of position( if necessary).
    Last edited by flem; 02-01-2005 at 08:05 PM.

flem

yes, i wouldn't be in the jade ring stance until i was applying my technique. That is why i don't feel it is an uncomfortable stance, sure if your trying to hold it for 5 minutes to train your legs but if your in it for a split second there is no discomfort.

flem, my posts are directly related to the stance used in the waist chop as found in WASP. The tight stance (knee over toe) as seen in the picture of Master Shi that Tainan posted provides only the length of the thigh for tripping while the extended version (knee not over the toe) provides more area for trapping the legs for the takedown.

The extended version is, IMHO, a stronger brace for any pulling motion by your opponent (think tug-of-war).

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing. I get confused when too many names are thrown around.

I'm totally confused.....what do the White Anglo-Saxon Protestants have to do with Mantis???????? J/K!

"Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com