Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Question

Simple Question

I'm very new to martial arts, so plz be easy on me... I've been reading the forum for about a year, and I love it

I'm just starting Kung Fu rather hard-core and doing Tae Kwon Do on the side to keep flexible and in shape. TKD isn't really my kind of thing but I'm giving it a try and hey it's not BAD for me.

One thing I've noticed in TKD is how often my classmates use really high kicks, and kicks where they turn their back to the enemy during sparring. I know in the rules we use (WTF rules) don't allow hitting in the back or below the belt, but in a real fight... Aren't high kicks and spinning kicks just a bad idea?

They expose your back/genitals, take a lot of time.... I know IF they connect they're rather powerful, but low kicks to the joints seem to be a much better idea... More like in Wing Chun.

What's the point of these high kicks? They seem to be a very bad idea in the practical sense.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by XiaoJieFu; 01-25-2005 at 03:48 PM.

They're used to kick Warriors off their horses in battle.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I mean in modern single unarmed combat, both people standing onthe ground... Like sparring with someone who trains Kung Fu or Karate for example.

Oh! Ok. In that case they're used to avoid BJJ guys takedowns.

He's right those high kicks were used to kick warriors off horses in battle.
    What style of kung fu are you training? careful not to get your body mechanics messed up. TKD is a different animal to Kung Fu

as for practical uses of that kick nowadays...not much unless you use it against someone that is airbourne...or really tall...

If you can get a proper opening, a fast & strong kick to the head can end a fight real fast.

Originally posted by Brad
    If you can get a proper opening, a fast & strong kick to the head can end a fight real fast.
    Too much work. Throw 'em down and then kick 'em in the head.

or on the flipside it's liable to get you sweeped and tasting concrete.
    if fighting against an opponent of the same style i suppose it may or may not work...
    I'm not sure how it might work against someone who's waiting for you to trow that leg up there so they can snip it and snap it and make you wish you hadnt put it there.

You have to remember that TKD comes from TSD which was initially intended for actual warfare. Which includes weapons, mainly large swords. This is why there is so much kicking. Those high kicks enable you to attack men from horseback when your sword is somewhere else. But yes, in a real fight this can be dangerous. Then more you study CMA the more you will see that there are alot of ways of ending a fight if someone tries to kick you in the head. Not that you cant do it, its just a matter of knowing when to kick high.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

That's why I say look for an opening You have to get them when they're not expecting it. How many times are you going come up against someone who's going to be expecting tae kwon do kicks? If someone's trained to fight against high kickers and is expecting you to try that, then your odds of pulling it off aren't going to be that great.

Too much work. Throw 'em down and then kick 'em in the head.
    Or you could launch a preemptive strike... just sneak up on potential threats when they're not looking and kick them in the head

Personally I would throw a low kick or two a body shot or so with my fists then crush the larynx with my knuckles. But hey, Im no TKD expert, I just know a little Gongfu.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

i read a long time that the preference for kicks was a cultural thing in Korea. feet were considered unclean, so they were perfect for the unclean act of fighting. hands were for more noble ventures like art or calligraphy or literature etc etc... thats what i remember atleast.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

That could be true, Im told though that Tae Kwon Do literally translates into "The Way of the Hand and Foot" Im not sure about all that TKD stuff though, being a misunderstood gong fu guy. You know none of us can fight, we just look good.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

What style of kung fu are you training? careful not to get your body mechanics messed up. TKD is a different animal to Kung Fu
    My style is called Chung Wah... www.chungwahkungfu.com
    It's focused heavily on the basics of kung fu, and I love it so far.

I'm well aware of the differences between kung fu and TKD. How would you suggest I go about not messing up my muscle memory?

As for the answers to my first question... It's basically what I had suspected, that they're no too practical in cross-style sparring or a real fight.