Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offense vs. Defence, Where do you stand?

Offense vs. Defence, Where do you stand?

In regards to sparring, I personally like to take a strong Offensive Defence. I find it easy to defend against attacks, especially the first few in a string, and the openings your opponents create on themselves are great. I find that (personally) it is easier to do more damage when I am on the defence. Counters make for great openings and leads, and I find take downs are pretty easy when your oppenent makes themselves fall over your foot or hip.

Now in fighting, (although i dont go out and pick fights with strangers) I seem to feel that I would lead with a strong defensive offense. I am not sure why I feel this way, it may be the kill or die mentallity at work, and of course it would depend on my on the spot determination of my opponents skill level and fighting capability. (always expect a good fighter for one)

How bout you?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

where do I stand?

in your spot.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Thumbs up

In every defense, there is an offense.

In every offense, there is a defense.

You move. I move.

You move to my right. I move to your right.

You move forward. I move to your side or back half a step.

You move back. I move forward.

You go high. I go low.

You go low. I go high.

You go to my right. I go to your right.

In Ba Ji;

You get close to me. I get even closer to you.

The opponent's offense is neutralized by confining, silk reeling, or moving away an inch.

You move in with your own attack at the same time.

In Tong Bei;

The attacking hand may turn into defending hand.

The defending hand may turn into attacking hand.

The opponent does not know you are advancing or retreating.

The opponent does not know it is raining or cloudy.

He does not know if it is a noise or the real attack.

In Tai Ji;

You are neutralizing the opponent's Jing and releasing your own Jing at the same time.

Hua Fa.

In short, there is offense in the defense. There is defense in your offense.

Dayum, ever'thin' SPJ said is in my karate.

So, I'll just say "look at SPJ and MonkeySlap Too for teh correct."
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I'm not fast enough to have a good defense. It's mediocre in my opinion so I work more on offense and trying to dish out more damage then my opponent can. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
    where do I stand?

in your spot.
    bingo.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Vash
    Dayum, ever'thin' SPJ said is in my karate.

So, I'll just say "look at SPJ and MonkeySlap Too for teh correct."
    sounds like thai boxing also.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I like to hear what others think on things like this, in my experience different styles have alot in common but at the same time there are different techniques and methods that are stressed, it is always fun to hear about those differences, since there is no right way but only one way to do everything. Its cool, some like to get defensive, some get offensive in there posts some like to give what they feel, that in itself, i feel, is a good mental extension of ones methods. Thanks for the feed back you all. SPJ i like your method. its slick, informative, non confrontational, and upright. Keep it up.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I prefer defence and counter-attack. Sometimes you have to become more offensive, depending on your opponent. Defence is safer and in a lot of ways easier.

Having said all that, this is only really applicable in a sparring situation. In a fight situation you have to be aggressive, and that usually means attack.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by SevenStar
    sounds like thai boxing also.
    Basically, it sounds like fighting. Therefore, every art that practices actual fighting should share the same principles. All roads lead to Rome - you just choose a journey and route that appeals to you. And if you end up in hospital in Naples, you know your teacher was bunk.
    Train Smart, Train Hard & Enjoy Every Minute Of It.

Kung Fu & Personal Training: ABActive.com

really depends on what I'm working on, or what style I'm using, as far as sparring goes. Currently I'm focusing on counters, and timing, so I'm a bit defensive.

In a real fight, I always play defensive, and I let the agressor swing first. This way, when the cops show up, THEY go to jail/drunk tank, not me
    Steel sharpens on rock. Man sharpens on man.

In sparring, I'm working on actually applying karate mechanics, principles of movement. I'm taking more shots, but I'm slowly relearning how to "throw down." I'm sure I'll be more after I get more sparring in.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.