Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHAT A GOOD AGE to START TRAINING?

I guess the real question is; do you want to give your kid a full blown martial education or is it going to be on the side of a full blown scholastic education. You can really only specialize in one. which ever you choose you can get good at the other, but will never be a true expert unless you specialize. Ask yourself this question, if the answer is that you want your kid to be homeschooled on what he needs to survive but specialize in MA, then I would go find a master that you are willing to let shape your childs future for martial success. If not start a high interest bearing certificate of deposit for college purposes, and train the kid when ever you feel he is ready. At this point its all day dreaming, planning the future, setting goals, laying seeds and watching the fruits of your labor.

Have fun with your little bundle of joy, what ever choice you make will be the right one.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

congratulations Shen! cigars all around... whatcha gonna name him/her?

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

No names yet

But thank all of you for your advice. I like the idea of building a strong foundation with stances, footwork, and streching at an early age and then as time go on move on to forms and fighting. My Sifu will still be alive and kicking so we both will have a hand in the martial upbringing which i think is a very good concept. Kinda old fashion but the idea of my seed having the same teaher as me appeals to me and if anything was to ever happen i could complete their training if need be. But thank you all for your answers. OH i Do have one name picked out PHAROAH if its a boy........

Shen Zhou
    "Learn to see a persons weak spots; even if a ready or on position is used."
    Lai Sifu

Shen Zhou..

First of all congratulations on being a father!

About your question, it sounds like everyone is giving good advice.

I agree with MK on the 8-10 age, but to have them start and try it. If it's not their thing see how it goes later but never force the issue. This is how I do it with my daughter and she seems to feel fine with it, she knows a bit but she's not going all the time. She enjoys other things as well (swimming, soccer, dance, etc...).

Starchaser is also giving good advice on keeping the child active so they will have a better chance of a healthy body later on in life. Flexibility and active muscle exercises in childhood are proven to be beneficial later in life.

WaterDragon is also giving you good advice on the fact that a child needs to learn and enjoy being a child while they can and "serious" training at an early age may not be the greatest answer (this is from personal experience as my father had me study Judo 4x a week from age 5 to 10).

Now one thing I'll have to say from personal experience is:

Don't teach your child, let someone else do it for you.

In Brazil there's a saying "Santo de casa nao faz milagre" (Household saints don't make miracles). You can be there as support for the child and guidance but let the frustrating portion of the training (teaching basics) go to someone who's not attached to him/her.

Best of luck!

USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

Originally posted by PangQuan
    I guess the real question is; do you want to give your kid a full blown martial education or is it going to be on the side of a full blown scholastic education. You can really only specialize in one.
    I disagree 100%. The two compliment each other. That is like saying a person cannot be a star basketball player and make good grades at the same time. Not true a t all.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

I would say that stretching exercises as young as many have said will lead to developmental problems in the long run and more than liekly an early onset of arthritis.

But then I'm not a doctor!

I'm a strong believer in 'when he wants to' but there's no harm in showing him how cool it is at every opportunity!!!

Congrats Shen!

Smile A good age

a good age to start kids training is when they are mature enough to be disciplined, and able to take comands from the instructor thats why they should start a trial class first, i noticed this after becoming an assistant instructor.