Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klingon Martial arts! (Gene will love it)

Klingon Martial arts! (Gene will love it)

I've known this book has existed for a while, and while I was at Half Price Books today I found a copy. I saw it said something about street fighting on the side, and I glanced and realized while looking on the side what it was. I got it for $7.98+tax, and sure enough I opened the cover flap and it had Gene's name printed on the front page. Check it out.

BTW Gene, do you own a copy of it still? I have no idea what I am going to do with it. I simply bought it cause I knew it was out of print (and for good reason) and dunno what to do with it now.
    I have a signature.

Sell it on eBay

Some trekkie might pay big bucks for that. Well, maybe not.

That book was by a classmate of mine, Chet Braun. The funny thing was that he wasn't even that into Star Trek; I doubt he could've named the original crew when he wrote it. I'm not even sure why he wrote it. I designed the cover. That was back in my graphic design days. Although he supplied all the images, including a disc of stock patterns with which I did the swirly cover. It took me about half an hour - and I never took a class in graphic design (I barely read the photoshop manuel). I was paid handsomely for the job, which made up for all the graphic arts jobs I did when I wasn't paid. Anyways, he printed up a lot of those and then was immediately shut down by Paramount, and for good reason. To this day, he insists he was in the legal right, to which I reply, then why isn't the book legal to sell? So it's a bit of a collector's item, and yes, I do have a copy in my martial arts library.

It gets better - check this out!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Philbert, that is possibly the crappiest photo anybody ever took.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Thank you. I couldn't find the digicam so I had to settle with the webcam.
    I have a signature.

Funny thing, that book is the reason i started martial arts Was just a Star Trek nerd that never trained anything, and was very interested in Klingons so i bought this book. Read the book, got interested in it, and also got a big catalog with lots of martial arts stuff in it. Consequently started training Kung Fu, then kickboxing, then tae kwon do, and now the past 2.5 years i've been training MMA/BJJ and think i finally found my spot in MA

So here i am 6 years, 4 arts and 2 MMA fights later And it can all be tracked back to that book to begin with. Of course i may have started anyway But who knows.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Qeysus-

now THAT's a weird story! lol

excellent!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Indeed, how cool would it be if i ever became a big name fighter and i could answer in interviews when asked "How did you get started?"

"KLINGONS!"
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Sometimes you get shone the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

That's a great story, qeySuS. I'm sure that I can speak for everyone involved in that book project and say that we are very gratified to hear it inspired you so. That was the underlying intention of the author (beleive it or not) so I'm happy to hear that he actually succeeded.

Now if only we can recruit all those Star Wars geeks too...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Sometimes you get shone the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Now if only we can recruit all those Star Wars geeks too...
    We get a lot of new kids who say they want to be Darth Maul when they sign up. They used to say they wanted to be ninjas/power rangers. So, I would say it's already underway...

Darth Maul

Of course, you direct those Sith Lord wannabees to our Ray Parks article...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Imposters!!

Those books are not autentic Klingon books! They can't trace their lineage back beyond the dog-faced Klingon. They're fakes, plain and simple.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Klingon Kung Fu?

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    http://dojopress.com/catalog.books12.html
    If those books really exist, I wonder why Lucas doesn't shut the thing down?
    I have a signature.

Well, Ashida Kim is really into the Church of the Jedi. He's got a link to their message board from his website, too. I wouldn't be suprised if he self-published the books like he does those crazy ninja manuals.

Self published or not, he is making a profit off of Lucas, and I know from (personal) experience that Georgy don't play that game.
    I have a signature.