Thread: Training Multiple Arts

Training Multiple Arts

Hello everyone. My problem is that I live in Mississauga, ON during my 4 month summers, where my Kwoon is located. However I go to university in London, ON for the other 8 months of the year where there isn't really an abundance of Kung Fu schools. I only know of one, and it's really far away. So basically I'm looking to train SOMEHTING up here for my 8 months away from kung fu.

I'm starting to train TKD, however I've noticed that it lacks some practicality in sparring and i don't want it to mess me up too much. I figured it at least will keep me quick and flexible, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea anymore. So this leads me to 2 questions i have for everyone:

1. Are there any MAs out there that "complement" kung fu generally well? ie. they won't mess around too much with muscle memory (im assuming the answer is no.... but keep in mind I practice my Kung Fu in London a lot)

2. Does anybody know of any good Kung Fu/Muay Thai/MA schools in London, Ontario?

I miss my school so much I WANT TO TRAIN KUNG FU!
    Last edited by XiaoJieFu; 01-25-2005 at 05:56 PM.

Finding a school to go to - even when you're desperate - can be quite hard. If there were no decent schools in my area - I'd have to look up every karate school in the local area and drop by and see how much of it I could take without laughing (and pray that I may find a gem and they teach traditionally).

TKD is good for flexibility and simply getting used to throwing lots of high kicks (although I find that almost fully impractical in an actual fight). It really shouldn't mess you up all that much so long as you keep practicing your kung fu as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Ask your teacher to give you a program of stuff to study on your own while you're away. You'll progress more slowly, but just think how good you'll get!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching