Thread: English names for Lanjie

English names for Lanjie

I am writing an article for MQ and need to write lanjie in English, 7* version.

For you folks who have an English name of this set would you mind posting it?

Thanks.

chaotically connected?

I'll vote for "Intercept", which is what it means in Chinese.

Cheers,

Lan(fence, to build a fence) Jie(block)

lanjie in Mandarin means "to intercept" so Qi Xing Tang Lang Lan Jie would be Seven Star Praying Mantis Interception Form. I believe others might also translate lanjie as "obstruct"

We also call it intercepting boxing as that is how it has been passed down in our lineage .
    more sweat in training , less blood in combat

8 step/ Ba Bu calls it as many others have said "intercept" or "interception"
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Thanks all for your replies.
    I am needing a standard name for the 7* school for my article.

After reading here I think I ill just mention the litaral meaning next to the words lanjie.

BTW, the article is about the version Yushan mentioned caled chaotically connected.

> BTW, the article is about the version Yushan mentioned caled
    > chaotically connected.

Just to add some back ground of our PM I know and the PM stories I have heard.

As stories was told, Lan Jie form's original name was called Ruan Jie. Ruan as mess or chaotical, Jie as connect or combination. In the past some PM teachers simply combine some PM moves together and call it a form. It's like improvisation. Depends on the forms, some good, some ... . Some of the forms were passed down later. But, the name of the forms was not good. So, people use the similar pronounciation of Ruan Jie and called it Lan Jie, as intercept. Whether the storie was correct or not, nobody really know. But, it is a good story.

The same situation happens a lot on the PM forms like Praying Matis Hand, as Tan Lan Sou. My teacher does that. PM, at least from our 7* PM, is quite unorthodox. One trait is that many our PM forms did not stop at where it started. It's quite free spirits. I kind of like our PM forms were designed, very refreshing comparing to our Long Fist forms.

On the other hand, forms are the repository of our ancesters' knowledge and experience. Whether they were designed on the fly or by systematical consideration, it does not really matter. If the forms were good, they were passed down. If not, they would have been ignored and disappeared.

Cheers,