Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mantis Training Vids?

Mantis Training Vids?

Hi All,

Can someone recommend any good 7* Training videos for the beginning sets? I studied PM about 3 years ago, but have since had to move onto a new style after moving. The area I now live in doesn't have a praying mantis school near me, but I would like to have refreshen my memory on the forms that I have previously learned. In particular, I was looking for Tsahp Tchoy, Bung Bo, Sup Baht Sao, and Bahk Yuen Tchut Dhong. I appreciate any suggestions and/or advice. Thanks!

Ive seen some adds for Sifu J Funk . He has a set of videos out Ck out a KUng fu mag and you will find it. Or go to his web site.

Ive seen some adds for Sifu J Funk . He has a set of videos out Ck out a KUng fu mag and you will find it. Or go to his web site.

Smile videos

hello,
    the jon funk videos are very good for learning from .
    and so is the videos from master paul drummond .
    as for books i like the master paul eng books as for breakdowns of each move . there are lotsof books and videos out there all you have to do is look

"Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Are jon funks vids the actual form or does he alter the forms on the vids to sell to the public?

thanks

holymantis, can you tell me a little more about P. Drummond`s videos? Is there a web-site I can go to? Thanks

:)

sayloc

They are the actual forms.

The jon funk vids are pretty in depth. He'll run through the set once or twice (depending on the set) once fast then slow. Then he breaks down each movement with a partner to show the ap. Pretty well done and easy to follow if you're a novice or just wanting to pick up the sets. You just have to speak canajian though to understand him. bad joke.
    To some I have little character value. My friends know the truth. Guess which of the two I give two shiats about.

DISCLAIMER: Everything said by me in my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. All of my comments are mostly written in a sarcastic, juvenile manor. Any attempt at actually taking offense to what is said by me in my posts will be the sole responsibility of said reader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...tofthejunk.jpg

Cool Ba Bu Lian Huan Video

I am partial to Tainan Mantis' Ba Bu Lian Huan Video. It is not a Mantis form per se but there are techniques and drills that are mantis based. I think you will get a better picture of training and applying mantis from it.

So contact Tainan Mantis. I think it was going for $40 USD. Shipping included?

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I do not play HK Seven Star, but I have heard he has altered some of the forms (Funk, not Brazier)! Not sure if this is true, but just a nasty rumor. I have many of the vids and they are some of the best out there. I use them soleely for reference or to see some one elses applications ideas. I think they are good in that sense, but one should never try to learn a form from a vid.

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Mantis 108

Absolutely 100% agree with you on Shifu Braziers Ba Bu Lian Huan video! Simple form, but LOTS of material on this effort. A real steal for the cost.

videos

the master paul drummond videos that i have seen are from a martail arts shop called GWANGUNG you can find it on the net.
    there are only 3 videos that i know of there may be more?.
    they show the form and the applications which look very good .
    i think they are "dai fu yan" "fei ngaan dzerng" and i think "bo sim"

also

also,
    the jon funk videos the weapon sets are very good as a training tool and the hand sets as well .
    there is a video out as well from my last master .
    master lee kok seng it's called 14 routes . which i have seen on e-bay a lot

Holymantis
    I could not find any Mantis vids on www.gwangung.com ? ANy other suggestions?

Thanks
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Just to clarify, John Funk does alter his forms for the videos. Al Cheng did this too. Usually they just left acouple of motions out, but some were changed. Still good vids though. If you have the WHF books , the omitted motions can be found..