Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jet Li gets "Unleashed"

Thumbs up

I read the article on this website
    It's kind of insightful as to where jet li's head is at, and
    I feel less disenchanted with the state of things.
    I'm going to watch this movie, because of jet li, and
    because of morgan freeman.I hope jet is successful in his evolution as a martial arts film star in the future as well.
    Last edited by Starchaser107; 05-08-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Unleashed is sweet. Sweet is good.

We just did our first Tiger Claw Foundation screening of Unleashed last night. I think Unleashed is Jet's finest Western-made movie to date. Very Euro. Some fine fights. Loved the fight in the nekkid lady's toilet particularly. Hope that doesn't spoil it for anyone.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sounds cool, I'm looking forward to seeing it
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

tonight

I'm just about to head over and see it again for our last sneak preview - I've been in a Massive Attack groove all day since they did the the soundtrack. I love Massive Attack - No Protection is one of my favorite dub albums. RZA's contribution is the second song of the credits and almost unnoticible.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I saw this a few days ago and though it was a pretty good film. Deffinately his best acting goes as far as breaking the type cast rolls.

The action was decent but it was no fist of legend.

I thought the funniest part of the whole movie is that he was gettin the mack on with an 18 year old chick. Dudes character is gonna be the happiest 60 year old around when he gets there.

Overall I give it a 8 based on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best Jet Li movies ever made and 1 being Steven Segal and VanDam movies.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    We just did our first Tiger Claw Foundation screening of Unleashed last night. I think Unleashed is Jet's finest Western-made movie to date. Very Euro. Some fine fights. Loved the fight in the nekkid lady's toilet particularly. Hope that doesn't spoil it for anyone.

that was most deffinately the best fight, and I do think this is his best Hollypic yet.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I saw it again last night

We did our second preview last night for the Tiger Claw Foundation benefit for Jet's ONE Foundation. I actually liked it better the second time. Fist of Legend was nearly a decade ago, when Jet was in his thirties. Now he's in his forties, so of course the action will change. Take a look at Jackie in his latest, New Police Story, in his fifties. I think a lot of people were spoiled with Bruce Lee - since he died young, we never saw how his movies would have looked when he crossed the big four-oh or five-oh. You'll always be disappointed if you compare martial artists' work to their earlier stuff simply on face value because everyone's skills are destined to decline with age, and the most prominent decline is seen in showboating moves, like what you see in the movies. But I'd say both Jackie and Jet are getting more refined at what they do - they have to - and in some ways, I'm more impressed with their later work knowing that they are still turning out this kind of action past their physical prime. That being said, do you know what Jet Li's next project is? Tentatively, he's taking on the role of Hou Yunjia (Fook Yun Gar). Y'all know who that is, right? It's like the prequel to Fist of Legend...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just saw UNLEASHED at last night's screening. Overall, a very entertaining movie. The acting was solid, the fight scenes were good, alot of hardcore, hand-to-hand, bone crushing combats.

Definitely, Jet's best american made movie yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin
    Definitely, Jet's best american made movie yet.
    The director, writer and producer are French. It's a joint production with Canal + and an English company. The cast contains 2 Americans and a host of Europeans. How is this an 'american made' movie exactly?

I just saw the movie.

I like the fighting set in the bathroom. Sort of reminding you of WC. Biting is also used.

The story line is ok. The music and a blind piano man awaken the human side of his mind. That was the only link to sanity and love away from all the animalistic life style. Or being obedient to his adopted ulcle and fight for him.

The uncle is a small time debt collector or money loaning shark. It is a dysfuntional "family". He "presumed" that Danny is only a killing machine and not capable of "human" affection, respect for life and love. In fact, Danny is who and not what he is. He is also a human and not a "it" but a "he".

The uncle wanted Danny back to their previous "dysfunctional" tie and made him rich with death pit fights. It is Sooooo NOOOOT goona happen. The human side once awakened is here to stay in any sane mind. The uncle was not able to pull the trigger. The blind musician shut him up with a pot of flower.

Danny is finally free of the uncle's voices or commands.

Danny is able to pick up all the human things after animalistic life for so long.

The collar was really a mental block than any physical thing. The music, affection and trust of a young girl and the new family replaced the collar and "unleashed".

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    do you know what Jet Li's next project is? Tentatively, he's taking on the role of Hou Yunjia (Fook Yun Gar). Y'all know who that is, right? It's like the prequel to Fist of Legend...
    Actually it's not tentative, it is in the middle of production right now

Jet Li begins production on Huo Yuanjia biopic

This week [in early april], martial arts star Jet Li began shooting his latest movie, a biopic of legendary martial arts master and Chinese patriot Huo Yuanjia (1869-1910) that is being directed by Ronny Yu (Freddy vs. Jason, The Bride with White Hair).

In a recent Q&A session on his official site, Jet Li explained his intent. "I hope to use this film and character to let people understand what is really important and dear to my heart. I also want to explain once and for all the meaning of wushu and kungfu."

Li joined a Hollywood production crew in Shanghai on Sunday to begin the shoot. Columbia Pictures has invested about US$19 million into the officially unnamed project.

Li is playing Huo Yuanjia (Fok Yuanjia), son of a martial arts champion who dreams of following in his father's footsteps. After becoming the most famous fighter in China, he disappears for years when personal tragedy strikes. Ultimately, he must come out of hiding to defend the honor of his country in an international tournament.

Chinese actress Sun Li is playing a blind woman who falls in love with Huo Yuanjia.

Martial arts movie master Yuen Wo-ping, whose recent action choreography can be seen in Kung Fu Hustle and House of Fury, joined the production as action director. Bill Kong (House of Flying Daggers, Hero) is producing.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2005/040601.htm
    the map is not the territory

Cool link;

Huo is a household name and legend in China. Mi Zhong Quan, Huo Jia Quan and Jin Wu Men in Shanghai.

This movie surely will be a big hit in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Cool.

Monster Screaming

Well, the weekend went to Monster-in-Law at 24 million, which surprised me although that shouldn't have. I was putting my money on Kicking and Screaming, which also finished ahead at $21 mill, and Unleashed came in at 10.6 mill, which is higher than Kung Fu Hustle (7 mill, was it?) Worthy of note is that the box office has been in a 12 week slump, but the industry is expecting that to end with Star Wars.

Ronny Yu, eh? Oh man. I loved Bride with White Hair, and even have a soft spot for Warriors of Virtue, but Bride of Chucky? Freddy vs. Jason? We'll see. What's up with Jet movies and being blind? Morgan Freemen, the blind-folded fight in Fist of Legend, now Sun Li? It'll be an interesting adjunct to the Hou Yunjia myth since the actual story is not that interesting. He's significant as the founding inspiration of Chin Woo, an organization still strong 'til today, but the actual fight he was hired for never happened. I did an article on this a long time ago, back when I was writing for Hong Kong Film Magazine (Fists of Legend: The Story of the Ching Mo School Issue #4, 1995? HKFM didn't date their issues...) I'm sure ol' Ronny will give the tale extreme fant-asia elements.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I give it a B+...

pretty good acting, great choreography...

I liked the fact he didn't always finish with the flash...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

On a personal note;

If I was asked to be involved in the movie;

I would add long hairs, long beards and dirty face on Jet Li. As if Jet Li in crasy three times a day or Zhang San Feng in Tai Chi master. After he changed, he would wear a pony tail and shaved beard.

The clothes or fashion he wear sucks before and after.

Oh well, it is the Hollywood.

I am just one of the million's fans worldwide.

By the way, people treat their dogs or pets a lot better and even in the circus. There are laws and rules against inhumane treatments of animals let alone people.

It is only a movie.

And I was only just saying---

I am guilty of seeing Monster in laws and LOL, too.

Last edited by SPJ; 05-16-2005 at 10:18 AM.