Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming New Year Celebrations

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Just a quick note on this weekends Open House.

Jim's Lion Dance and Drumming really started things off and drew the people in off the street. I think we had somewhere around 30 people watching the opening dance and demo. Doesn't sound like a lot but the front of my tiny school was full.

It was a loooong day with 4 dance/demo sets over 4 hours.

Jim's students not only performed great Lion but demonstrated forms as well after my students did there thing. It was real inspiration for my beginning students to see some new forms.

Asheville Pong Lai wants to give a huge thanks to Nasheville Pong Lai for making our weekend something special. We could not have done it w/o them.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Congrats on your grand opening and open house, I'm sure the show was great!

SaMantis, nice story about Boston. Pretty sure I`m well versed in LD etiquette. Here in Nashville we are the only troupe in town. So I don`t think I have to worry about crossing paths with another lion. However, this gig in North Carolina is going to yield lions from a few KF schools. Of course we will show respect, we are just out to have a good time.
    Hey, no prob -- the info was mostly for folks who haven't seen/done lion dancing yet.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Glad we could help make it a success. It was good practice for the lion dance team/kungfu demo. Everyone there seemed happy and full of appreciation. Even the local Shao-lin Do teacher caught one of the demos. He left very quickly though. One of Oso`s senior students "Ming Yu" posted some pics of her bruised arms on the training and health board. Her and I went at it hard and heavy doing the hand drills. She is a real trooper.

Good luck and Happy New Year to Oso and his students.

Xin Nian Kuai Le! (Happy New Year)

It was a great experience making it over to Asheville this weekend to meet other PongLai brothers and sisters, and for me to take part in my first demonstration. Albeit tiring, it was a good time and I hope I'll have the chance to learn from more trips and seminars! I would advise in the meantime, though, that everyone brush up on their Mandarin and form names!

Regards,

~annibelle~

Thanks Oso

Just wanted to thank Oso for the hospitality and comments. I must say you have a great group of people in your school. I felt a lot of positive energy there and excitement about what they are learning. I always enjoy visiting other schools to see what is up.. Especially those in la familia.... Keep up the good work bro and take care of that shoulder... Peace... Thanx again.......

It was tiring...Lesson #1 of the day was: No more 4 hour open houses!

Thanks for all the help and next year I'm gonna have the after demo food and drinks catered.

Metal: thanks for that last dance, I know you guys were beat. btw, B has talked about almost nothing else but her experience working with you. Thanks for jumping in to fill a hole in the ranks.

someone taking pics that day already has a disc for me so hopefully I'll have some to show in a day or two.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Congratulations and Thanks

Congratulations on the official grand opening, Oso. I am glad to see that you have a very positive group of students, and a good place for all of you to train.

Also, thanks for having us over to assist you with the grand opening of your school. I was honored to do so, and look forward to visiting and training with the rest of my gongfu brothers and sisters in the future. Hopefully, you will be able to come to Nashville soon, and train with us. We would be happy to have you over.

Take Care!

Congratulation on your open house success, Best of luck.

Happy New to everyone,great time to be getting things started.

Well. We're going to have a dinner together tonight. After that we'll propably go to a bar and get drunk

Hopefully I won't be too hung over because we're starting a 4 day seminar tomorrow. Shi-xiong Marcin Karaś from polish praying mantis kungfu society is coming to teach us. Talking about a kick start for the new year!

Oso, Thanks for the words Bro, just took a little reflexion of Tainan to keep up the ability.... Tell B to keep it up and I shall see her in the future, ciao.......

Just wanted to (on the day) wish everyone a Happy New Year.... The year of the Wood Rooster.... A new cycle begins for us Monkeys.... Best wishes to all, Peace.........
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent oppostion from mediocre minds" AE....

oso

Congrats on your opening and good luck with your new school.

Metal Mantis

Is Tainan your instructor? It sounds like you have alot of respect for him. It is not often you hear a student mention thier instructor as inspiration. He seems like he is very knowledgable from his posts on this forum.

I noticed on your profile that you are in Nashville. I did not realize that tainan was located there. I may be planning a trip there in the furture. Do you think it would be possible to stop in and get some info on MA history? It seems he is vell versed in this area

thanks

sayloc

Yu shan is metal's shrfu., tainan is our kung fu uncle. Yes tainan is very knowledgable and he lives in taiwan. Shrfu Jim is in Nashville so you can look him up.
    Would probably be respectful to mention your shrfu also but you know the younger generation.

Thanks 18.

I got confused by the posts. I wasnt sure who was teaching where.

I understand. I have had cases of kung fu uncle worship in my school. Usually leaves me feeling like crap.

Its seems he is just as fortunate to have yushan as a teacher. From his posts it sounds like he knows his stuff. I will try to hook up with yushan on my travels if possibe. You guys do pong lai, right? Guess I should bring my forearm pads

Geez Louis......

Sayloc, I had the fortune of spending some time in Tainan the city over the summer. It was kinda a double meaning. As in my time spent there with both Master Shr and my Uncle Tainan.... Feel free to contact my Shrfu Yu Shan. We are always open to people and would love to get to meet you.....

18 elders, my inspiration from and respect for Yu Shan I believe is understood by him. He has done more for me in the world of MA than I could have ever asked. He is my Shrfu. I was there for him, to support him, to show my thanks with effort and reverence, to help the grand opening of a school that he is the mentor to....
    ................................Peace............. ..............
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent oppostion from mediocre minds" AE....

first pic of the open house