Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "If a CMAist would train with the same intensity as a boxer..."

"If a CMAist would train with the same intensity as a boxer..."

The quote in the subject is something I've read often on message boards when a CMAist is defending his or her respective art when faced against other combat arts.

The usual argument is the CMAist didn't have the experience or physical conditioning necessary when beaten by another style. Now, this makes sense, but something in the aforementioned quote always leaves something little to be desired... how, exactly, can we as CMAists train with the same intensity as a boxer by using our own style?

Thank you.

yes we can. since there is so much to tcma, you have to practice many things, not just do the drills of the set hands. boxing had a broad range of techniques and such, but tcma has a little more to it, and there fore there is less time to train things. and a lot of schools dont train fighters per say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Out our school, we do a lot of conditioning training. Its a big thing for us...our instructors motto is "Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning."

Then again...we are a fighting school. I guess a lot of other tcma schools dont spar. I hear that a lot. =/

you would get something like...............................me.

I don't think training like a boxer can make people gay.

Originally posted by Christopher M
    LMAO that was some nice ownage of sifu abel
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Talking

I'm seriously sorry. I tried to resist, I really did.

Re: "If a CMAist would train with the same intensity as a boxer..."

Originally posted by HearWa
    The quote in the subject is something I've read often on message boards when a CMAist is defending his or her respective art when faced against other combat arts.

The usual argument is the CMAist didn't have the experience or physical conditioning necessary when beaten by another style. Now, this makes sense, but something in the aforementioned quote always leaves something little to be desired... how, exactly, can we as CMAists train with the same intensity as a boxer by using our own style?

Thank you.
    Well it's easy...cut your training of forms down to a minimum and increase your conditioning, contact drilling and sparring, pad, bag, and footwork training to be the main focus of your training. You know...training like you're going to actually fight

Gay or not , I still rock.

Re: Re: "If a CMAist would train with the same intensity as a boxer..."

Originally posted by SiuHung
    Well it's easy...cut your training of forms down to a minimum and increase your conditioning, contact drilling and sparring, pad, bag, and footwork training to be the main focus of your training. You know...training like you're going to actually fight
    If you can't count your form training in AS conditioning; then please, by all means, stop doing them. Weak forms don't help.

I'm seriously sorry. I tried to resist, I really did.

There are medications for poor impulse control.

Weak forms don't help.
    Weak form doesn't help in boxing either.

Out of the thousands of people who train in boxing, how many get broken wrists from bag work? How many do it for recreation and how many do it as a competitive pursuit.

to think that one categorical form of training is sweepingly better than another categorical form of training will only impede the person who thinks that in their own training.

It will either fail to prepare them for the unexpected or help them to realize exactly what it takes to be in "top" form.

I would say that on any side of the dodecahedron of martial arts training, it is probaly the majority of practitioners who really aren't "top".

all things really are relative.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If a CMAist would train with the same intensity as a boxer...

...he would look a lot like a boxer or kickboxer when he fought.

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    Gay or not , I still rock.
    http://www.beautifulboxer.com
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    If a CMAist would train with the same intensity as a boxer...

...he would look a lot like a boxer or kickboxer when he fought.
    Bull. If you train your kung fu with the same intensity and intent as a boxer trains his boxing then you would look like a **** good kung fu fighter when you fought. If you expect that to look like a Jet Li movie, then get over it. Sounds like you have an issue there, bud.
    Train Smart, Train Hard & Enjoy Every Minute Of It.

Kung Fu & Personal Training: ABActive.com