Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "If a CMAist would train with the same intensity as a boxer..."

Originally posted by Strangler
    than why in all articles onm internal styles and their training methods, and discussions on their forums besides maybe hitting a heavy bag or something of the sott, they never mention conditioning? And generally they always talk about standing and the five fists (xingyi).
    Alot of people, both internal and external try to train for the ideal situation - that situation being that the fight will be very quick - as in over in 5 seconds or less. The problem is, some fights last longer. When they do, you see the value of conditioning. the accounts you've posted attest to that.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

this is a quote from a page that listed one of evander holyfield's training programs. I won't post the link, because I'm getting ready to start another thread about it:

Extreme conditioning is required to fight effectively for ten intense, 3-minute rounds and anaerobic endurance is a key aspect that cannot be overlooked. Short of an early round knockout, boxers cannot afford to win only the early rounds of a fight. They must maintain an intense, but measured pace throughout a long and competitive bout. So conditioning counts almost as much as skill for boxing success.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    I wasn't commenting on what they use, only that he was correct in saying that technique is developed through sparring.
    Everyone knows sparring is important though, what we disagree on is valuable class time being spent on drills and techniques as well as sparring and most of conditioning being done at home. Another thing we disagree on is traditional training. I don't think it should be neglected and replaced by modern kickboxing type training, if you want that you can just take a boxing class or so. Traditional training has its use and will achieve results in different muscle groups and in different ways. Take internal styles for examples, there are no other styles in the world with similar standing meditation regiments, and that teach you to generate power ijn this unique way. Alot of people that have alot of free time can train in both modern and traditional methods. Even if you don't have alto of free time you can still spend a few minutes with each method rather than just hitting the bag all the time. Like people in various ima message boards always say, external styles like mt and boxing will only take you so far, after you reach this point of advansement there isn't much more room for you, you will have days when you are a bit better and a bit worse but you will generally stick at this point. That is why some guys are natural boxers and athletes like Tyson and demolishe evryone (early in his career) and others no matter how hard they train they can't make it. That is where styles like tai chi come in. They can take your current level of skill to the next level. That is why they take longer to learn unless you already reached your peak in the external systems and can fight before you train in these styles. Hence why Dong Haichuan only taught students that were already experienced martial artists.

this is a quote from a page that listed one of evander holyfield's training programs. I won't post the link, because I'm getting ready to start another thread about it:

Extreme conditioning is required to fight effectively for ten intense, 3-minute rounds and anaerobic endurance is a key aspect that cannot be overlooked. Short of an early round knockout, boxers cannot afford to win only the early rounds of a fight. They must maintain an intense, but measured pace throughout a long and competitive bout. So conditioning counts almost as much as skill for boxing success.
    Yes conditioning is important for a boxing fight, but on the street if you don't kock the guy out in the first 15 seconds or so the fight will either go to the ground, somebody will be badly hurt like their ehad abshed in or thrown through a window, the cops egtting involved, the guy's friends you are fighting getting involved, you getting a weapon used against you. A sport fight is different as there are rest rounds in between and many hits are illegal like punches below the waiste. ALso two boxers are often of equal or close to equal skill, when you look at a fight where one bhoxer outclassed another the fight generally ended quick. Mike Tyson ko'd a hell of a lot of dudes in his early years.

There is also a quote I have to look up again by some internal guy I think his anme was Wang something, and he said he only trains his students for a few second fight, because if it lasts longer they already lost. The guy has a reputation as a badass that fought or let some famous boxer hit him with no effect (forgot which).
    Last edited by Strangler; 02-03-2005 at 10:33 PM.

Doing an 'internal' is not going to stop you getting hit, but conditioning is what will stop you going down.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Yes conditioning is important for a boxing fight, but on the street if you don't kock the guy out in the first 15 seconds or so the fight will either go to the ground, somebody will be badly hurt like their ehad abshed in or thrown through a window, the cops egtting involved, the guy's friends you are fighting getting involved, you getting a weapon used against you.

So how many 'street fights' have you been in? I'd also imagine that if the fight ended in the first 15 seconds somebody is probably badly hurt also.

And conditioning would help here with several things:
    *If the fight goes to the ground.
    *If the guy's friends decide to get involved--and if he has friends there, do you think that they are going to wait 15 seconds to jump in? If somehow, you KO the guy in the first 15 seconds, they will all say, "well, we can't jump in now, the fight ended in the magical 15 seconds."
    *I'd imagine conditioning would especially help if a weapon is getting used on you, because you will be in that much better shape to run like Hell. Also, is there a timer that goes off to let you know that 15 seconds have passed so you can now use weapons?

Yes conditioning is important for a boxing fight, but on the street if you don't kock the guy out in the first 15 seconds or so the fight will either go to the ground, somebody will be badly hurt like their ehad abshed in or thrown through a window, the cops egtting involved, the guy's friends you are fighting getting involved, you getting a weapon used against you.
    ah, my favorite thing on KFM, gross overstatements about situations that are completely dynamic trying to back up a basis that is completely wrong.

Conditioning is important - period. If you're a martial artists and you don't understand that you need to start over.

On the street? Check out this webpage: http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/multimedia.htm

All videos of streetfights, and if you'll notice, not all of them go to the ground, most of them last over 15 seconds and very few of them involve weapons. you'll also notice that atleast for the length of most of these videos, usually well over 15 seconds, no cops get involved.

You'll notice I used the words "most" and the phrase "not all". some of these videso fall into your very narrow concept of how street fights go, atleast partially.

It's time for Strangler to go back to the school of street fighting...

Everyone knows sparring is important though

Not really. There are plenty of schools that don't spar.

what we disagree on is valuable class time being spent on drills and techniques as well as sparring and most of conditioning being done at home.

I don't have a problem with conditioning being done at home. It should be, but in addition to adding it to class time. What do you think this "valuable class time" should be spent on, if not drills, sparring and techniques? conditioning is a byproduct of those three, if you do them right. Here's an experiment, enforcer - post what your ideal class session would be like.

Another thing we disagree on is traditional training. I don't think it should be neglected and replaced by modern kickboxing type training, if you want that you can just take a boxing class or so. Traditional training has its use and will achieve results in different muscle groups and in different ways.

We don't necessarily disagree there. I have no problem with stance training, per se (for example). But, people that think stance training is making their legs alot stronger are deluded. I also think that people who hold stances for 10, 20, 30, etc. mins at a time are wasting their time. Moving stance training though, and static stance training for shorter intervals are great.

Take internal styles for examples, there are no other styles in the world with similar standing meditation regiments, and that teach you to generate power ijn this unique way. Alot of people that have alot of free time can train in both modern and traditional methods. Even if you don't have alto of free time you can still spend a few minutes with each method rather than just hitting the bag all the time.

I don't have a problem with meditation either - I take yoga classes. I do however, think that doing it in class can be a waste of "valuable class time". I can do that on my own. What benefit are you getting by doing standing meditation in class?

Like people in various ima message boards always say, external styles like mt and boxing will only take you so far, after you reach this point of advansement there isn't much more room for you, you will have days when you are a bit better and a bit worse but you will generally stick at this point.

IMA is the same. take ANY ima "master" and put him in a boxing ring. he'll get killed. he may be able to hold his own with untrained or lesser trained guys, but the attitude in the ring is completely different. I have a judo coach that is pushing 80. In his day, he was a three time national champ. He still teaches and is VERY good, but he no longer competes. Why? because he at his age could not hande competition.

It's not an issue of taking it so far, but an issue of competing. You can train until you die and still progress, as the judo coach I mentioned above. however, you will be progreessing in knowledge, not in physical attributes. It is those attributes that allow one to compete. Tyson is getting to the point where he can't keep up with the younger guys. But I can assure you, he would maul ANYONE on this forum, budoseek, emptyflower, cyberkwoon or jarek's, despite his age and current state in pro boxing.

That is why some guys are natural boxers and athletes like Tyson and demolishe evryone (early in his career) and others no matter how hard they train they can't make it.

they may not be able to make it as a PROFESSIONAL CALIBER FIGHTER, but anyone can be made into a decent fighter.

That is where styles like tai chi come in. They can take your current level of skill to the next level.

When they start having pro taiji bouts, I'll listen to that.

That is why they take longer to learn unless you already reached your peak in the external systems and can fight before you train in these styles.

No it's not. It takes longer because the body mechanics are so different. that, and the fact that CMA is typically designed to take longer to learn anyway. That applies to both external and internal.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

When they start having pro taiji bouts, I'll listen to that.
    Watch you mouf. Talk about Tai Cheee
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I bet your wack ass wanna be thug trailer park buddy told you that, enforcer. What is he up to, anyway?

adrenaline will sap you FAST. after 15 - 30 seconds, you will wish you had better conditioning, especially if you are fighting more than one person. Also, where did you get those stats from? Did he tell you that to, or did you pull it out of the same place you pull everything else?

A sport fight is different as there are rest rounds in between and many hits are illegal like punches below the waiste.

So? you can kick below the waist.

ALso two boxers are often of equal or close to equal skill, when you look at a fight where one bhoxer outclassed another the fight generally ended quick. Mike Tyson ko'd a hell of a lot of dudes in his early years.

right. and when the fight lasted longer than 4 rounds, he was in trouble. To expect that you will outclass anyone you meet in the street is a dangerous assumption.

There is also a quote I have to look up again by some internal guy I think his anme was Wang something, and he said he only trains his students for a few second fight, because if it lasts longer they already lost. The guy has a reputation as a badass that fought or let some famous boxer hit him with no effect (forgot which).

see above.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

We don't necessarily disagree there. I have no problem with stance training, per se (for example). But, people that think stance training is making their legs alot stronger are deluded. I also think that people who hold stances for 10, 20, 30, etc. mins at a time are wasting their time. Moving stance training though, and static stance training for shorter intervals are great.
    The founder of yi quan Wang Xiang Zhai was a great fighter defeating a fith dan Judo guy and making him become his student and find his own branch of the system (taikkkiken) as well as a famous western boxers, and many others. And the founder of yi quan says standing meditation, and stance training is the most important aspect of martial arts. That's what yi quan was created behind, the core of the system. Here is an article about it:
    http://www.yiquan.org.uk/art-pom1.html
    Last edited by Strangler; 02-04-2005 at 02:17 PM.

Here is the famous tai chi guy I was talking about:
    http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiqua...angshujin.html
    http://tools.search.yahoo.com/langua...r=FP-tab-web-t

In sparring class, Wang would scold students if sparring was not ended with three strikes/techniques. Anything beyond was considered poor skill and would result in brute force, rather than skilled technique, and internal power. Wang was a no-nonsense teacher who emphasized the practical aspects of his art. Wang's students spent much of their time practicing the basics, standing in zhanzhuang postures, sparring and repeating the basics again. Wang was a living example of the success of his methods.
    But I agree with msot of your other points, its weird how some people on other forums excuse their lack of effort in cross training due to their styles being superior in old age.
    Last edited by Strangler; 02-04-2005 at 02:22 PM.