Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so scared of the ground?

chisauking,

Apparently you didn't read my post -- I told you the basis of my opinion: experience. I've seen firsthand what skilled groundfighters can do, what persons skilled in takedowns can do. I've seen this, as well as experienced it myself, while fighting. By "real fights" do you mean streetfights? Assaults? What?

I find it interesting that you used the phrase "club sparring with rules or actual street fighting experience" -- that demonstrates one of the major fallacies associated with "streetfighting": the negative effect of "rules", or limitations on what you can do.

First of all, there are always limitations, or rules, even in streetfights -- unless one wants to go to prison. For example, one can't use deadly force unless one's assailant does (typically we're limited to the same level of force our opponent uses). So if he swings at you and you crush his windpipe or gouge an eye, you're going to prison. For me, that's not much of a "self-defense"; I'd rather get hit than go to prison! Some of those rules as imposed by society and some by ourselves (what we believe is ethical or moral).

And while rules or limitations can restrict us from actually using our method (for example, a wrestler trying to fight in a kickboxing tournament), "no rules" or NHB fights typically allow any and all methods but just limit the "dirt" or "foul tactics" (like eye gouges, etc.). They refllect, if you bother to look at most "streetfights", how fights typically "look" (fwiw, I've been in a few streetfights and never been eye-gouged or fish-hooked.). Some may believe that those restrictions prohibit them from really using their "deadly" fighting skills. But the reality is just the opposite is true -- these restrictions actually help us develop our fighting skills since we can practice nondirt realistically.

No one really "practices" that dirt realistically, i.e., really puts them into their fighting practice (you can't without harming your training partner). So they never really develop them. At best they do them as sort of a mock-defense. On the other hand, by removing the "dirt", one can practice (fight) full-out as one really would do it, and thus they develop better skill doing those things. Removing the dirt actually permits us to practice realistically and develop greater skill; it's a strength rather than a weakness. This has been proven over and over again by experience.

What that means is that the dirt is theory -- it is never really done as it is meant to be done: one practices mock eye jabs and pretends it will land, that it will have the proscribed effect, etc. But what dirt does is provide theoreticians excuses for not fighitng ("I would, but I'd have to kill you"). What they will find if they ever give themselves a chance, is that good fighters easily deal wtih the dirt (in fact, I love it when folks give me the "I will only mix it up if I can use my deadly techniques" routine; I know that means they have no fighting skill. Typically, I'll tell them to by all means use them since I know that means they'll be trying to fight with things they've never developed! It just makes it easier for me.).

Tactics are context/situation specific; our fighting skills are not. If I can deal with a punch in the ring, I can deal wtih it in the street. The venue doesn't matter. The difference is the tactics -- in the ring I may continue to fight whereas in the street I may hit and then run. Different tactics for different situations; the skills remain the same.

For those that cling to the notion of dirt, let me ask you this: do you rely on it? Would removing it really change how you express your WCK? Can you deal with a punch without it? And that's what I mean by the skills being unrelated to the venue. Can anyone say, "I can deal with a punch in the street but not in the gym?"

Certainly there are aspects/elements on the street that make it potentially more dangerous than the gym. But our core fighting skills work in both. And, how can anyone believe that they need less skill in a more potentially dangerous situation. Swimming in the ocean is more dangerous than swimming in a pool; but if you can't swim well in a pool, you're not going to fare well in the ocean.

Experience may differ

Merry, T-niehoff, KF:

EXPERIENCE. But that's what I'm trying to ask: what experience? What were your wing chun or fighting proficiency at that stage of experince?

We ALL have experience, but how and where that experience came from is the most telling.

"Before this forum turns into the official BJJ forum, may I ask all the people who's constantly repeating that WC don't have all the answers and it's weak on the ground, how did you arrive at this conclusion? And, why are you so scared of the ground that you feel the need to focus so much time on this element of fighting?"

Do you do anything more than a right handed vertical thrust punch?

Do you always drink only the same beverage, same brand, same amount day in, day out?

Have you always owned exactly the same make, model, and color of car year after year, and never driven anything else?

Some people may be hyper-focused on only one technique.

Some only want one form.

Some only stick to one system, many forms.

Some only do martial arts, many systems.

Some only fight, whether its MA or back yard brawls.

Personally, if I'd only ever done one MA, I'd never have encountered WCK. It was my 4th art.

If I'd never done anything else, I'd be bored.

If I'd never done anything else, I'd have missed a lot of other experiences, good and bad.

Originally posted by reneritchie
    "Before this forum turns into the official BJJ forum, may I ask all the people who's constantly repeating that WC don't have all the answers and it's weak on the ground, how did you arrive at this conclusion? And, why are you so scared of the ground that you feel the need to focus so much time on this element of fighting?"

Do you do anything more than a right handed vertical thrust punch?

Do you always drink only the same beverage, same brand, same amount day in, day out?

Have you always owned exactly the same make, model, and color of car year after year, and never driven anything else?

Some only want one form.

Personally, if I'd only ever done one MA, I'd never have encountered WCK. It was my 4th art.

If I'd never done anything else, I'd have missed a lot of other experiences, good and bad.
    What Rene said is HUGE. I don't know how many people here have trained previously in some other MA and then joined up in WC. I know I have and everyone in my kwoon, including my Sifu has a background of some kind.

I would have missed a lot of good and bad experiences too. Other martial arts have opened my eyes to what else is out there. And given me the ultimate appreciation for WC.

Sincerely,
    Couch
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

chisaoking,

My POV is that we need to find these things out for ourselves -- from our own experience by doing it -- instead of relying on the chronicles of my experience (which only makes it theory to you). Go out and mix it up with a *good* groundfighter (being able to do it against your WCK traiing partners doesn't mean it will be effective against a good groundfighter). See what you can do. It's notable that everyone that I know in WCK who has done this comes away with similar views. What I've yet to see is anyone in WCK who says WCK training provides significant ground skills *and* is willing to step up and prove/demonstrate it (like by going to the local BJJ club and showing how they manhandle those guys -- which if they can do it, doesn't seem to be asking much). This is my whole point,: so many opinions are based on conjecture, hearsay, etc. (theory) and so few on personal experience (evidence).

CSK,

Put your ego on hold and go and roll at a bjj school. Dollars to donuts you will get owned by even the blue belts. Granted you you would be 'playing their game' but it is a very good game - limitations of the street (syringes, hot coals, bottomless pits, wild animals) notwithstanding.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Re: Experience may differ

Originally posted by chisauking
    EXPERIENCE. But that's what I'm trying to ask: what experience? What were your wing chun or fighting proficiency at that stage of experince?
    I was a freestyle/folkstyle wrestler before I began learning the striking aspects of fighting. My expereince was that I could take down almost any striker (assuming he didn't also have a background in wrestling), take him out of his game, and usually dominate him on the ground- both in real fights and in training. An this was just from having a sport wrestlng background. Back then, I knew nothing of submsissions or how to set up good postions for ground striking.

I didn't actually understand the power of grappling until I had after I had trained for quite a while with people who trained only in striking.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-31-2005 at 11:27 AM.

CSK

there is only fear and speculation of the unknown
    once you do it you see it's not a big deal

i am not a ground guy at all
    but have spent time with guys that are , at first i was scared , and didn't know what tapping out was , this bfire wing chun
    i got my neck pinned against some guys chest and he cranked on me until i passed out , hurt like hell for a few days , i was a bit of a body builder at the time and it was a little dude that messed me up

next time i went back [ it was my firnds school across the street from my gym ] i got my shoulder cranked i hated it all things that had to do with BJJ

later after i started to train in WC and other things

i played with a friend that does those tap out cage matches
    he could not take me down and when we started from a ground position i held my own and could get up

now we were not fighting just working out

but i felt he this ground stuff is nothing no big deal

a few years later i messed around with my friend rob who is not ranked but is very good on the ground and he was real slow and heavy just shut me down like a boa

i thought hmmm what a min. since i knew rob was even better standing this mix of skills make me think

messed with some collage wrestlers and got shot on with amazing speed and power

the game got more interesting

then i sparred vale tudo guys and again did very good standing and on the ground
    they even complimented my sensitivity and elusivness

the more time i worked out with guys like this the more relaxed and i got and the more skills i gained from standing came through in some basic way on the ground
    or more so on the way to the ground [ the tumble alot of fun stuff can happen there ]

so do i fear the ground no am i training on the ground no
    do i have respect for the bad things that can happen there
    yes

just gain experience and do your best to learn from every thing life hands you ,

you are still *you* standing ,sitting , or on the ground
    the more control over *you* that you have based on experience the better you will become

so the real question is not about this or that art
    but why are people afraid of getting to know themselves
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

not a bad post ernie

I kind of agree

I've heard it said a bunch of times

"the guy who loses is the one who runs out of time."

the grappler might not take you down in time before he gets knocked out.

or the Bi-pedalist fighter might get taken down before he can attack.

we have all had bad days
    we have all had good days

you just gotta figure out one thing

what end of the a$$ kicking are you on today?
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

Thanks for the grammar lesson MOUTH BOXER. Typical Anerlich behavior, with the spelling and grammar checks but nothing meant personally right? As usual.
    You accused me of being in a click [sic] with Terence and Victor. Nothing personal, right?

You accuse me of being a mouth boxer - nothing personal, right?

Your problems with spelling and grammar may relate to your inability to accept in yourself the faults you seem keen to decry in others.

But, nothing personal.
    Last edited by anerlich; 02-01-2005 at 02:46 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Put your head in the Lion's jaw

Why so scared of the ground?

I was so intrigued by so many 'skillful' wing chun practitioners that understood fully its principles state
    that wing chun was weak on the ground, I wanted to know the source of your fighting expereicnes that warranted
    you to form such a statement. As we all know, experiences may differ depending on how that expereince was
    aquired. In other words, different test yeilds different results. But, more importantly, the way and environment
    of how you conducted the test would determine the 'truth' of your expereince. For example, fighting in a
    club environment, wearing proctective equipment from head to toe, would yield expereince of real fighting
    close to a lie. That's the reason why I'd asked about people's expereince -- so that I may understand your
    opinion on the need for ground grappling and to help me ascertain your true fighting experience.

As to my own personal expereince, ground grappling has never been an issue with me for the simple fact that
    I have only been taken to the ground maybe a few times -- but I'd no problems getting back up. Due to my
    upbringing and my present occupation (running 2 pubs) I have had more than my fair share of fights, to the
    point that I'm now well versed in the international language of PAIN! Ah, but I have never fought any one
    skillful, and they were all useless scubs -- as Terence would say. Fair enough, I'm a nobody so my
    expereince doesn't count. But to all the others that claim wing chun is weak on the ground from personal
    experience -- but not real combat experience -- consider the following...

Debt collectors: I know 2 associates that do debt collecting for Birmingham's Chinese loan sharks. Their
    names are Twan and Kwan Lee. 1 practice Muay Thai, and the other Tong-long. Due to the nature of the type
    of people that borrows money from loan sharks(very desperate people), Kwan and Twan knows fisrt hand how
    difficult it's to try a take things from people that have nothing. I have sparred with both of them
    without breaking sweat, but they both stated that in all the fights they have had, very few go on the
    ground.

Military: Because of my pub's proximity to the S.A.S H.Q. in Herefordshire, and also where I train my
    helicopter flying is sometimes used by the S.A.S, I get to talk to some of the most expereinced fighters
    in the world. In fact, arguably, they are the best train soldiers in the world. Just to give you an
    idea how tough they are, they have to complete a 40miles run with a full backpack weighing 60lbs+ for
    their test. They have had more real combat experience then anybody on this forum. However, when I got to
    know some of them, they stated that most unarmed fights don't go to the ground.

Wing Chun Clan: Not one single 9th generation wing chun practitioner has observed or stated that wing chun
    was weak on the ground. Maybe they ALL coundn't fight or too proud to admit wing chun was weak on the
    ground.

Wing Chun fighter:The late Derek Jones was probably the most active wing chun fighter in his time, from
    the UK. He used to come in the kwoon with cuts and brusies all over from fighting in gipsy bare knuckle fights. He never
    backed down from any challenges, and when he accepted a challenge, he would go on his own(unlike so many
    other so-called fighters that need to take all their crew). Strange, such an effective fighter never ever
    taken a single class in ground fighting?

Professional Martial artist from differnt styles:Steven Benitez from Silat has said ground grappling isn't
    as important as some people from NHB make out. Sken and Toddy -- 2 of the most succesful MT trainers ever,
    producing world champoin after world champion -- has never needed to suppliment their training with
    ground grappling. Mo Teague -- ex military, ex guardain angle, Sambo instructor, BJJ practitioner, bouncer
    with 100's of street fight expereince, representing Richard Bustillo, Rick Faye, etc., has openly
    stated that very FEW fights actaully go to the ground. When asked why he practised BJJ, he said it was FUN.

I could go on and on, but do you see a pattern or a common denominator here? People who do fighting for real,
    for their living, are saying that most fights don't go on the ground. Why do their experience differ from
    yours? Could it be that they are ALL lying?

So who is actually saying that 90 -- or is that 95% -- of all fights go on the ground? Is it just some wing chun practitioners and the Gracies?

And that's the whole point of my post -- if most fights don't end on the ground (besides the loser, that is)
    why spend so much time on ground grappling?

For my part, I personally beleive that wing chun is extremely strong on the ground, in that it prevents it
    happening in the first place. In the same way, if you want safer flying, you don't give all the passengers
    parachutes. You make the plane more reliable to begin with. If you want to drive safer, you don't practice
    advasive action. You would instill good driving practice to begin with. In other words, prevention is better
    than cure. Some people would still say: what happens IF it goes to the ground? I would ask: what happens if
    you got poked in the eye, finger locked, hair pulled, neck locked, knee stomped?

Rene Sez: Do you do anything more than a right handed vertical thrust punch?

Some only want one form.

Rene: I think you have missed my point again. It could be my poor English, so you have to excuse me for that.
    I didn't say don't practice BJJ. I didn't say it was rubbish. The point of my post is to get people to
    question the honesty of their experience, and I for one don't beleive ground graplling is as nearly as
    important as some people on this forum make out.

In a real fight, far more things are more likely to effect you than being taken to the ground, yet why so
    much time is focused disportionally to its threat? If you enjoy BJJ, then say so. Don't deride another system just to justify
    your particpation in it. This is not targeted at you, but in general.

I have never ever gone against learning from all sources because I don't beleive in limiting my fighting
    knowledge. However, even you can't deny that there are things in life that just don't go together. For
    example, dim sum and custard; or hot dog and salt and vinegar. Wing Chun is a very specailised style, and for the people
    that really understands its concept and principles, it' not a style that can be choped and changed and mixed
    and match as easily as other styles. For wing chun to be at its most effective, you must try to adhere to its
    basic princples. No matter how you try to justify it, it's next to impossible to integrate wing chun with
    BJJ and keep its core princples.

As the old saying goes: sometimes more is less

Tell me something I don't know

Nick Sez: Put your ego on hold and go and roll at a bjj school. Dollars to donuts you will get owned by even the blue belts. Granted you you would be 'playing their game' but it is a very good game - limitations of the street (syringes, hot coals, bottomless pits, wild animals) notwithstanding.

Nick, go to any Chinese restaurant and the chef would be able to cook Chinese food better than you. Go to any French teacher and they be able to speak French better than you. If you let someone put you in a finger lock, you are going to have broken fingers. Let someone kick you in the knee with full power, and you are going to have damaged knee. What's your point? That I should fight in a manner that my opponent knows best? Why don't I just bombared him with my powerful kicks when he reaches for my leg?

Re: Tell me something I don't know

Originally posted by chisauking
    Nick Sez: Put your ego on hold and go and roll at a bjj school. Dollars to donuts you will get owned by even the blue belts. Granted you you would be 'playing their game' but it is a very good game - limitations of the street (syringes, hot coals, bottomless pits, wild animals) notwithstanding.

Nick, go to any Chinese restaurant and the chef would be able to cook Chinese food better than you. Go to any French teacher and they be able to speak French better than you. If you let someone put you in a finger lock, you are going to have broken fingers. Let someone kick you in the knee with full power, and you are going to have damaged knee. What's your point? That I should fight in a manner that my opponent knows best? Why don't I just bombared him with my powerful kicks when he reaches for my leg?
    Total agreement here chisauking, why play their game and fight their fight. It's always the same on this forum "Yeah but when this or that happens and he sets up his mount with the single leg Blah blah blah", in the meantime he has nothing to deal with from me right? Lol. For every "What if" that comes out of people's keyboards on this forum, it can be reversed. Any good fighter should take his opponent down quickly, just due to the fact that neither fighter will know what the others skills are. And since WC is a "fast" system, meaning it was develop to be fast, not the individual being fast, there's a difference, the idea is always to overwhelm your opponent with severe pressure that is hard to handle and make them very reactive, and not proactive. I remember someone on here saying that the chain punches of WC don't work, then a few days later I find a clip of Vitor Belfort using that very same technique (not exactly the same since he uses horizontal fists and boxing technique but very similar) to knock out Vanderlia Silva to which most consider one of the best stand up middleweight NHB fighters around in 45 seconds, very quick.

James

How did I arrive at these conclusions? Experience.

Who's scared of the ground? You are, chisauking.