Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Red's BLOG!!!!!!!

I have a plan from here on out. I'm kicking in the second Phase of Project Uber-Red.
    Last spring I did the same thing, started working out really hard, I wanted to drop a few pounds, and make some goals with pullups and some other various things. I met most of my goals so this year I'm going to shoot for the rest and add a few more.
    I'd like to get down to about 175 but I'm not sure my muscle mass will allow it.
    I'd like to be able to pump out 3 different sets of pullups in about 4 minutes time.
    Planche pushups by the end of summer, say Oct. 1st.

To begin with, and get me back into the mode of things, I'll be doing more endurance based body weight workouts. Scrappers workout a couple of times a week. Running/nordic track a couple of times a week. Class 2-3 times a week. I'll toss in about 2-3 days of weights but since I'm limited there, it will be mostly for arms and probably back.

Best class ever last night!

why you might ask? Well....I'll tell you!

First, I managed to not gass out too much over the entire class and it was a tough one.

Second, I wasn't the new guy in class anymore, we have a couple of new students and I spent alot of my time helping them out. Nice to know my instructors trust me enough for that.

Figured out the trick to a basic kick that I haven't felt comfortable with.

Won 10$ pumping out 98 pushups consecutively!

The instructor mentioned I had obviously got a lot more flexible.

I was told by a guy I feel is better then me, that he thinks I'm better thenhim LOL!

I even stayed after class and worked on a particularly tricky combination of things that I had had some difficulty figuring out in the past.

The overall energy of class was awesome. We had a bunch of spectators, a couple of college kids doing some research on capoeira, one of them spoke fluent brazillian which prompted us to suck those guys and another couple who came to check things out into our Roda to sing with us.

98 pushups! NICE
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

I was hoping for 100

Seriously though I've always been a pushup fiend, not sure why. Even when I"m not exercising regularly, I still do pushups, I think there are two reasons, the first is that pushups are easy and you can do them just about anywhere. Second, other then my eyes, the girls always complement my chest so I gotta maintain
    Last spring I did the 100 pushup program and got to it pretty quick.

now they're trying to talk me into going and doing that contest, but I know some smaller lighter guys who can do 100 easy so I'm not going to bother. If I knew about 3 months in advance I'd do it but it's in alike two weeks.

Had class last night. It was small, me, my wife and 2 new kids so we worked a lot on the basics, which is fine with me. I did the normal sets of pushups and situp type thingies to warm up and after the workout.

One training note I'd like to make is that I'm starting to learn to control the roda somewhat.
    Last week we had a discussion after class on controlling the space in the roda. Trying to squeeze your opponents into the corner. Last night since besides our instructor I was the most senior student there I decided to work on doing that with the new students, my wife and even a little with my instructor. IT was crude for the most part but I got the hang of it.

Another awesome class last night. Tougher then normal! Our instructor had us on this rotation that was sort of fun. Basically there were 3 beginners, and 4 experienced students. 2 of the experienced student shave been training for 2 or more years so what he did was split us into three groups.
    Essentially the new guys went out on their own and did 20 basic kicks, ten each side while the 4 of us sat out. then they came out and four of us went out to do kick dodge combos, 20 - 10 on each side. Then myself and another student who have been studying for less then a year got out and did pushups and wall sits whle the more experienced 2 did fancier combinations. When they finished they came out and thenew guys went back and we started all over again. We did about 8 rotations or so.
    We did played in the roda and worked on some music the last few minutes of class then I stuck around to work on handstand pushups and about 100 pushups using raised grips and varying widths in sets of ten, alternating with another student.

From here until atleast sunday I'll be packing and or moving so won't get much time to workout officially. I'm going to try to make the moving and packing thing a workout in itself.

if you do capo, have you ever thought about training your rythm(i know i spelled it wrong) get on a friends drumset maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by spiraler
    if you do capo, have you ever thought about training your rythm(i know i spelled it wrong) get on a friends drumset maybe?

depends on what you mean. Rhythm is part of the training at pretty much all levels. It determines how you move in capoeria, for the most part. On top of jus the physical training you also have to learn the music, which includes clapping, playing the instruments and singing.

Haven't been keeping up very well on my training or my blogging since the move this past weekend. Haven't had much time for training at all, however I have to admit that spending 3 days moving - especially when you own as many books as the wife and I do, is one hell of a work out!

Last night class! I was tired all day, right up until about 5 minutes before class started. I've been sort of dragging since I had to move this weekend, legs felt burnt out, forearms are really fried, lower back hurt slightly, so I figured it was going to be a crappy night.

Worked on a couple of combination/strings. I was having a hard time with one of the transitions but figured it out after putting in some hard work. It's still really sloppy but I can do it.

After class did 100 pushups on the bars and 80 hindu squats along with about 40 total handstand pushups.

On a personal note, I managed to go from a head stand to a handstand and back a couple of times before class. I was too burnt after wards but still pretty cool.

The real question is how many cartwheels can you do in a row? (This is somewhat of a serious question)
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I've never bothered to see how many I can do in a row. I can do atleast 15-20 meiulua before I get too dizzy, it's a circular kick. To see what it looks like go to:

http://www.carfweb.net/capoeira/

enter the site, click on "movements" and then "grading system". Under Amerelo check out Meia Lua De Compasso.

Saturday morning I went running. I started by walking the 5 blocks or so to the lake. Once I got to the lake I jogged for about 3/4 of a mile or so then did 10 second sprint intervals. I'd sprint 10 seconds, then jog 10 seconds. I do this in sets of 5, then walk/run for 1 minute, then do it again. I got about 5 or 6 sets done, jogged the last mile then stretched and did pushups.

Had class last night, it was a good one, but I rarely have bad ones! Worked a lot on my handstand pushups and several different sets of pushups. Figured out my hanstand pushups work better when my arms are wide enough for my forearms to stay at fialry right angles to the ground.

Well I've reached a milestone. While I've been able to do the move called "Macacao" for a while, it's been rough and I haven't been satisfied with it. The last couple of weeks I've been doing bridging everyday to strengthen my back and gains some core flexibility. Turns out it's also what I needed to be able to pull off macacao successfully! Now it actualy looks right!

The other technique I've learned this week that's rough but getting better is a sort of head spin designed to allow you to change directions after performing certain low moves. It looks really cool and isn't quite a spin but you go down on your head and swing your legs from one side to the other.