Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Red's BLOG!!!!!!!

Jade, it's possible to do a little taichi I suppose, I know a form or two but capoeira has no forms to speak of.

Chief - Last winter my worout routine was consistant and I stayed pretty healthy. On top of that it didn't seem like there was a whole lot going around.
    This year, in December I sort of slacked off for a couple of weeks and I think that really through me for a loop. January I found it hard to get back on track. I get hit with SAD about January every year and it's important for me to stay focused, this year I just couldn't. Combine that with the fact that atleast around here, there is a ton of crap going around and I was doomed from the get go! Ah well.

I feel for you Red with the SAD. Both myself and wife suffer from it over here, it is hard to focus. Anytime I feel down in the evenings I try to do a little light training maybe a couple of miles run or some forms just to get the blood pumping round and some extra Oxygen in the body. To keep the colds down my Sifu advocates Chi Kung and Tai Chi, this gives your internals a good workout and increases I think the white blood cells so these help combat any infection.

Get Well Soon Red

JM

Ok, feeling much better today so plan on starting my training again tonight. I'll be easing into it this week and keeping the workout slow impact for the next 5 or 6 days. Plan is to di pilates and some basic body weight stuff tonight, probably just some pushups and handstand pushups.
    Tomorrow night I will go to class, wednesday I'll do some more body weight work in the evening and pilates.
    Thursday, class again, and friday I may even go running.
    Each day I'm going to be working on the planche stuff as well.

Easing back into it starting last night.

20 minutes of Pilates

150 pushups

10 minutes of stretching.

It wore me out and this morning I feel like crap but I don't fee like I'm getting sick, just like I haven't worked out in a couple of weeks.

Well, I'm back on! Went to class tonight and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
    Did some hindu pushups and about 30 or so hindu squats before class to warm up.
    Class went well, we did about 20 minutes throwing various kick/dodge combinations. We'd do 10 kicks on each side then drop down for 10 pushups and 10 situps (our choice on situps so I did alot of leg lifts and atomic situps).
    Played in the Roda for a while, thought I was going to gas out pretty quick but I actually managed to do alright.
    Didn't stay after class very long, didn't want to push my luck, decided getting home and getting a normal amount of sleep would do me good. I feel good today, not as sore as I thought I woudl be.

3/9/05 - Took it easy last night. Decided not to rush things and I worked out pretty hard tuesday night so deicded to just to take it easy. I spent about 20 minutes stretching but that's about it.

Tonight is class.

Taking it easy to get back into things is smart. You'll be back in the rodah (spelling?) with that cute blonde in no time!
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

lol! So wil my wife

Roda, close! I got into the Roda on tuesday actually and it felt great.

On a side note it also sounds like our instructor is finally going to be pushing to get more students in. He's been sort of a recluse for a while, not really pushing his school or Capoeira classes. He sat and talked to us about getting out in public more once it warms up (roughly July in this state ) and doing a weekly roda in some public location to attract attention.

The local CAPOEIRA school here in Colorado Springs has been doing a huge push lately for new students. They have some agreement with the school district because they gave a series of free classes at my daughter's school and then sent home sign up papers when the class was over. They've also had a few articles written about them in the paper. Just some ideas, maybe your instructor could use.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I actually recommended that before, doing demos or seminars at schools and things like that.

3/11/05 - Class

I decided to turn it up a notch over tuesdays class. I was determined to work harder in this one. I warmed up before class:

50 Hindu Squats
    50 pushups
    20 Dive Bombers
    20 Scorpions

I threw a series of kicks until I broke a sweat.

Class was good we worked several drills involving a lot of inverted work. My shoulders feel pretty good. My legs are a little sore, we worked on an escape from what is called "Rasteira" a classic capoeira move. It's like a foot sweep except you don't really sweep so much as hook their foot/ankle and pull it out from under them with your foot. Anyway the escapes were essentially this funny little hop type moves. Typically you use Rasteira to take someone down when they are kicking and on one leg. Because of that you have to learn to hop out of the way, or atleast hop a little with a successful rastiera so you don't fall on your ass.
    Stayed after class for about 20 minutes and worked on a kick I have trouble with.

tonights plan is to do some pushups and Planche work along with some Pilates and then hopefully about an hour of capoeira with my wife.

This past weekend was a wash. On top of packing to move at the end of the month we had a party to prepare for on saturday night, then I was drunk and up until about 6am. That's right, Training like a real champ is what I am!

3-14-05 AM

Got up for an AM workout for the first time in over a month. It felt great! I need to build up my strength from all the slacking so I stated out light.

150 pushups - diamond, wide and regular

20 minutes of pilates

3 sets of 15 body weight deadlift type thingies for my lower back
    3x20sec superman for my back.

10 minutes of stretching including a bridging exercise that feels awesome.

Had an awesome class last night! I managed to pull of a move I've been wanting to learn since the beginning! The physical workout was almost all workout and core because of the nature of the drills we did, and the workout was only about 45 minutes compared to about 2 hours usually but it was pretty tough.

3/21 - AM

I ran this morning whooohooo!!! It wasn't a good run, I'm horribly out of shape, but I decided to make myself work a little harder by running a mile, then doing tabata at 10 second intervals. If I keep up with the tabata, I should be back up to running 3 miles comfortably in no time. Of course the weather needs to warm up a little mroe for me to really make the most of it, but it's a start.

Also did 100 pushups and some situps plus stretching afterwards.