Thread: post choke-hold Tx (or, how can we get away from the urine thread?!?)

post choke-hold Tx (or, how can we get away from the urine thread?!?)

So there I was... a showdown with a Danzan Ryu Jiujitsu exponent practicing for his blackbelt... he said he wanted to try my Bak Sil Lum, since we're hitters more than grapplers (at least so he thought ) and he thought it'd be interesting to spar with someone outside his style, with someone who is trying to hit and kick him rather than grab him. Long story short of it, we went at it for several rounds - I certainly gave him a run for his money... but, alas, he finally got a choke hold on me and, struggle as I tried, it was over for me... luckily he's a bro and quickly released as soon as I tapped. But for a few moments there, my trachea was forcefully deviated from it's normal anatomical position. While everything seemed return to normal position (although I did feel my hyoid bone reposition with a bit of a 'pop'), I was left so sore, speaking and swallowing were quite painful. The locus of pain was about halfway down the left side of my neck right between the adam's apple and where the trachea and neck muscle (sternocleidomastoid) meet.

I have an excellent dit da plaster that I use for percussive / impact injuries, but this feels a little different. Regardess, as I write this long-@$$ post, I am wearing a rediculous looking gauze patch plaster on the left side of my windpipe, over which I've wrapped a flannel scarf (not tightly, of course!) to keep the rest of my quickly-stiffening neck warm. Jook is on the stove and I'll probably hit some tylenol... Ms Red Bean even massaged the area with some special oil, but it still just doesn't feel much better.

So, here's the question: Does anyone out there have any experiences with this type of injury and how they treated it?

(apologies for the long winded post - can't talk right now!)
    Last edited by herb ox; 02-01-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Hello herb ox,

Do you experience any pain when you turn your head left and right, up and down, or in circles?

If I had the injury:

I would use warm to hot compresses for the area and then I would use something like Tiger Balm (strongest one) after the compress and then follow with the plaster. (While using the hot compresses do the head movements described above; mentally feel for inconsistency. Your trachea may have a partial collapse-- in that case, screw all this sh!t and see a doctor STAT)

Do you have any internal jow? If you don't take a shot or two of Johnnie Walker Black Label or something powerful like Kao Liang Jiu to help move any stagnant energy from the area. After taking the liquor I would relax and let the combination of medicine take its full effect.

That is what I would do.

If that does not help ease things within 24 hours see a doctor.

Heal up well,

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 02-02-2005 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks for the well-wishes, Mickey!

As for the pain, I had all of the above - had to call in late to work since it really hurt to speak. Luckily, the herbal remedies started to kick in around 3pm the next day, and today I'm at about 98% of normal (if I ever was 100% normal to begin with). It still hurts a bit to swallow, but nothing major at this point. I did, however, follow your suggestion of the warm compress - it really seemed to help with the overall neck stiffness. So, thanks - it helped!

Next time I won't be so eager to take it to the ground

peace out,

herb ox

Hi herb ox,

I am happy to hear that your condition has got better. If you have trouble swallowing for a protracted period, see a doctor. In the mean, time eat softer foods. Soups are good-- applesauce, jello, etc.

Glad to be of help,

mickey