Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rooted vs. mobile

rooted vs. mobile

My gong fu teacher is really big on rooting and i can see its benefits and where it can be useful, however i've found for myself that i prefer fast movement that may not be as rooted. anyone else ever have to ponder this? what did you do?
    Bless you

These are not mutualy exclusive, you aren't stationary when you are rooted and striking, and it you need to be fairly set with your feet to generate power.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I make sure to develop my root yet at the same time i make sure and train my light fast footwork. Having a good root is very important, yet at the same time being able to dance your opponent into the ground is just as usefull. I say do what your teacher says, and do what you feel is best for you in the long term. You will not forever be with your instructor.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

It is something along the lines of practicing deep rooted stances when training, yet in a fight one naturally moves faster. Moving faster leads to having shorter horses, while still maining the proper balance and root for power generation. In otherwords one overexaggerates in training to be able to quickly feel and improvise naturally in real combat situations. Those shorter horses lead to lighter feet.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

thank you all for the imput. i definately agree that powerful stiking can better occur when rooted.
    Bless you

Originally posted by bodhitree
    thank you all for the imput. i definately agree that powerful stiking can better occur when rooted.
    sticking with that, look at a boxer. they have powerful strikes and are mobile...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I only do the rooted thing when I want to resist takedowns...and even then...I don't always do it. Sometimes I sprawl or do something else that requires more mobility.

But within standup striking and kicking - mobility is the name of the game.

I think I had a thread like this in the wing forum basically talking about if the wing chun footwork was mobile enough for the totality of fighting.

Basically...people kept saying that wing chun has footwork for everything. To be honest, I feel the footwork is very good, and can be used as a basis with which to expand upon for the varying degrees that one might need at any given time. Basically, using the wing chun footwork to come up with a longer range-more mobile, version of it, and of course using the rooted stance when in the clinch or very close range.

What I've always told my students and classmates was that stances (in the sense of the classical stances that you would see in any given "classical" ma) are only there to facilitate a movement, nothing more. You don't actually "stand" in a stance, but you are there momentarily to move energy; press, pull, assist with weight transfers when striking/kicking, or countering the like.

Other then that one should be in a natural fighting stance, the typical 45 degree stance with the weight 50/50 for easy change of direction. Now for us wing chun folks, sometimes we can have the lower body in this position while having the upper body squared to facilitate our in fighting techniques, but when in the outside range, I keep to my 45 degree position. As far as heels vs balls of the feet, I see it as using whatever is appropriate at the time...if I need more of a "biu" or shooting energy in my footwork, I will tend to press with my calf as well - weight on the k1 point, and if I need to be a bit more rooted I will place weight on the entire foot with heels down (usually ONLY when applying in fighting techniques). Whatever is called for at the time.

How do you know what to use when? Experience.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Originally posted by SevenStar
    sticking with that, look at a boxer. they have powerful strikes and are mobile...
    I'd concider them rooted as well though, being rooted and being mobile can happen...

look at someone who does taiji and actually fights.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

yeah, that's what I was getting at. I guess my reply was actually more geared toward PQ, not bhodi, as PQ said that he thinks it's important to be able to both root and dance.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

yeah, that's what I was getting at.
    cool, I thought so, but I like to come out and say it...
    practice wu de

Thumbs up

Can't beat a free swinging heavy bag for training mobility while rooted. Wish I had access to one more often. Makes srtikes and kicks faster, too. My favorite drill is to get it swinging erratically then try to dodge around in while holding a loose horse stance. S'a ***** to keep it from fitting you, setting up combos and still keep rooted enough it don't knock you over if you miss or hit off center.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I do that normally too...just make sure you keep the hands up...and go with the flow while unloading on the bag...it's not so bad once you get used to it...just go with it.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

rooted =/= immobile

deep stance =/= rooted

Much more subtle than that.

Semi-OT: Fun with heavy bags

Quote Originally Posted by Becca
    Makes srtikes and kicks faster, too. My favorite drill is to get it swinging erratically then try to dodge around in while holding a loose horse stance. .
    My brother and I made heavy bags by lining burlap sacks with old phone books and papers and then filling the center with stones and discarded shoes. One of our favorite body conditioning drills is to get the bag swinging nice and fast and then stand in a nice sturdy rooted horse stance and take the bag straight in the chest. Right now the bags (which hang off of a tree in the back yard) have frozen hard as rocks so we are waiting for a good long thaw before we try that again.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.