Thread: What PM stance do you use as your 'neutral' fighting stance?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

What PM stance do you use as your 'neutral' fighting stance?

I know that the Ba Shi are slightly different from family to family but I was wondering which posture you consider your 'fighting' posture and why.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I like the Jade Ring posture that Tianan posted the pics of Shrye Shi. For me it's largely due to the fact that it's similar, if not the same, as what I've used for years before exclusively training PM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

My fighting stance is fairly high, not too wide, toe pointed in, more weight on the back leg than the lead leg. Probably a million things wrong with it but I don't give a crap. Basically it's what feels natural and comfortable for me. Most likely a throwback to my Kenpo training. Sorry, like everything else I do I don't have a name for it.

As for a fighting stance, I don’t think of fighting from a stance as much as I think of movement skips, steps, shuffles that move you in and out of stances. Stance just seem to be such a static connotation for something so movement oriented

I stand there and square up. Boxing stance I guess if one must label it.

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Smile Taking a stance...

Well, I believe in 3 phases of combat - free movement, clinch or trapping, and Ground. So in the free movement phase, I would more or less bounce. This is coasting or active recess for me keeping the juice flowing so to speak. I am sub fly weight; it is more advantagous for me to keep some momentum. I would sort of pose a bit if my opponent take the time to coast as well. I won't strike a pose (mantis stance) but I would use a "natural stance" or I would use the ready stance that Tainan showed me (kinda Xingyi esque).

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

By all means strike a pose....but not until your opponent is puking up blood with his arm turned inside out!

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    what I meant is more of what Mantis108 is saying...Jake, too.

shang wu, I screwed up and used 'stance' in the title instead of 'posture'. I agree that stance has a more rigid/static connotation.

your basic fighting posture should certainly be free flowing but I don't go from horse to hill climb to void to crane w/o needing to go to one of those postures.

so....something that is neutral in weight distribution...allows for quick transitions to all other postures...is a 'light' posture vs. a heavy posture...for me the Jade Ring posture, slightly higher than forms usage, fits the bill.

FWIW, I'd say that a western boxer's basic posture is a very high version of the jade ring. The front foot is flat but weighted towards the ball of the foot and the back foot has the heel at least slightly off the ground. Both knees are slightly bent but the back one usually slightly more so.

Mantis108: If I'm reading you right, you are talking about a back weighted posture similar to a 'cat' stance leaving the front leg emptier for quicker kicking?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso,

What you describe is precisely what Bruce Lee described in Tao of Jeet kune do. I really think this part of his philosophy was inspired by the above mentioned mantis stance oops, posture. That is what i was getting at in the other thread when I stated that a posture beween Pong lais and the mainland version seems best over all. But I do think that each has it's place when you consider range.

Smile Hi Oso,

Yeah, very close. It's 40 lead 60 rear and right side forward.

The way the guys in HK do it is almost like Bagua circle walking but they would use the "cat/empty/Gua Hu/Hanji" stance and the twist stance. If it's apporiate they would use Nao Hao Sheng Feng (wind blows the back of the head) either for evasive action or closing the gap. They don't pose. It's GM Chiu's teaching that once you are in action, the action never stops. You may take active recess but no pause and pose. I think Tainan has a clip of similar approach when sparring with his student.

Since I rather bounce, I would have somewhat of a zigzag pattern in closing the gap. I like going into the Xingyi esque (4/6) stance because it gets me ready to clinch or just to trap. It is somewhat like holding a spear and allows long power (Chang jing). You will need that Chang Jing from the roots to throw or takedown (more like knockdown) in Mantis IMHO. I know my approach is not consistant and somewhat confusing. But there's the plan.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thumbs up

Fighting stance / posture, I think in general the boxing posture is balanced and can move and change quickly. I remember reading that it is not a good idea to face your opponent in a horse stance as you will be kick in the nuts and the fight is over. I just thought it was funny that someone had to even say it. To me it’s a no brainier. I would have to say that feet evenly weighed slightly wider then a boxing stance with a narrow angle to my opponent, suits me. I may not have the technique figured out but it seems the jade ring stance is weighed toward the front. I am sure that 108 is way to fast for me but I do remember sparing a guy a long time ago and he would bounce. I just timed his rhythm and would attack just as he began the bounce. With no rooting I knock him back a few times, of course that was back in the Kempo days. I would say for my size and build 5-10 195lbs I like to be stationary or at least rooted both feet on the ground. Since we’re on the subject… in a fight situation what kind of leg work would you employ to suit your stance. I like to kick high in practice but in a fighting situation I think low and to the point is best. Against an unskilled fighter like a friend of mine who just started TKD (poor fool) the low kick as it is a nice surprise. I have a lot of fun with this guy coming in with a low kick and any kind of hand strike, as he is not able to deal with two things at once. Most times he does not even see the kick. Good times.

fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M