Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SNT w/weights?

Question SNT w/weights?

I'm sure this isn't an original idea. For all I know it is common practice in WC. I am only a beginner.

What is the advisibility of using weights while doing SNT? Wrist weights that would'nt interfere with hand movements. What would be the benefits vs. the negative consequences, if any?

Thank You.

The only thing I can say is, IMHO, the 'pressure' the weights create is different than the 'pressure' that is experienced in chi sau, so I don't believe you are really gaining anything. General fitness and that kind of weight training is the best in that regard. In relation to technique, the lop-sau, poon-sau and other chi sau related drills (or, to say just chi sau) should prove more than enough to develop technique specific endurance.
    Also, IMO, the forms are not nessisarily meant for strength development, rather they are more for learning basic positions, coordination, and technical development. Having weights could ingrain a bad habit of being tense when you want to be *relaxed* or *soft*.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

I think you would want to use wrist weights, or the old-style Kung fu rings around the forearms. That would make some movements difficult (most notably the "wipe-off's" at the end of the form), but less so I think than holding little dumbells or similar.

You don't want to go too hard and fast due to the possibility of hyperextension injuries. I don't think you'd want to do it exclusively, either.

Personally, I doubt that this would do much to improve you technique, and IMO there are better ways to improve muscular strength and endurance.

When I was heavily into the WC weapons, I tried to work out how to do all the empty hand forms with butterfly swords, sticks and the pole - an interesting exercise for its own sake but also developing attributes more directly attributable to WC.

Some people scoff at punching with weights, others swear by it. Why not try it out for a month or so and see if it helps or not? Not much of a downside with that approach.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Yip Man is known to have used the Kung Fu rings at times when practicing SNT. Wrist weights sound like a great idea. Try going through the form once with them on and then once without and feel how light and quick your hands feel with out them.

personally i wouldnt even go there.

you wanna train with weights, train with weights, you wanna train forms, train forms.

if something presses down on your arm you huen round it, training with a weight would give you this impulse continually.

probably screw with your balance too.

theres so much to work on within the forms anyway i dont see why you would want to add another thing.

suppliment your forms practice with some compound exercises, ie deadlifts and squats.

imo

peace

In my view, the sets (like SNT) are generally not for training but are for learning and for teaching.

Draggin dragon- Curious- do you havea wing chun teacher?

Whay does he say? I think that the use of weights in slt defeats the purposes of the slt.

Using weights separately- is another matter because
    the purpose would likely be different--- strength, therapy etc.

I really think that it has to do with what your kwoon's SNT is trying to develop.

As Vajramusti said, talk to your Sifu.

I know that in my kwoon, my Sifu likes us to perform the SNT without any tension whatsoever. Like an isotonic movement.

But another kwoon's WC that I practised wanted constant forward pressure.

See what the goal of your SNT is and go from there. I also agree with AmanuJRY in that in Chi Sao and sparring, energies may feel a bit messed up after having those weights on.

Good luck in your search,
    Couch
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Yes, I have a Sifu & I will be sure to seek his guidance before attempting anything like this. I was just curious to get opinions & you all have supplied a lot of good ones.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by t_niehoff
    In my view, the sets (like SNT) are generally not for training but are for learning and for teaching.
    Again,that explains a lot!

Originally posted by t_niehoff
    That's an interesting viewpoint. Am I correct to assume that after you have learned from the sets, you "discard the useless" and just skip to the "pressure testing" as your main training methodology?
    Do you mind elaborating on what it is you learn from the sets and what you teach with them?

Originally posted by RedJunkRebel
    Yip Man is known to have used the Kung Fu rings at times when practicing SNT.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Matrix-

as discussed before someone- possibly Bruce Lee had given him those rings and he just posed with them.

No one that I know who knew him well have suggested to date that he used them for slt.

One cam use many things as supplements or demonstrating something. Hung Gar, a much harder style, uses those rings for some drills.

Joy,

Sorry, I didn't see that post.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Someone with photo shop skills had piled on even more rings on his hands!!
    Cant believe everything that one sees or hears!