Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need Help/ meditation techniques for Anxiety

I need Help/ meditation techniques for Anxiety

I sometimes suffer anxiety attacks,,why i get these i will not say(so as not to reveal too much about my person life here) sometimes it is physical and other times it has to deal with certain issues in my life.

what i would like to learn or to be taught is if anyone here has any suggestions on how to deal with Anxiety through meditation techniques.

please if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. i do not normally post things like this,,i am not perfect nor do i claim to be an expert or master of anything. i do know things,,but sometimes knowing isnt enough.

PEACE,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Greetings..

As the situation unfolds, focus on your breath and take longer inhalations combined with shorter exhalations ("sleep breathing").. it signals the body and its systems to relax and slow down.. it works..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

shorter exhalations

so the "shorter" exhalation would be something like a relaxed exhale moving faster than a controlled and long inhale?

i want to be clear on that. Thankyou Bob

PEACE,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Greetings..

Yes, like the breathing when you sleep.. it is a primal signal that the body is winding down.. not unlike a "heavy sigh" where we use that pattern to dispel worry or tension..

Be well..

Thank you for clarifying that.

Peace,,TWS

If you are really serious about meditation, one of the best techniques is vipassana, or "mindfulness". This technique involves watching your thoughts, sensations, and emotions as they arise. It is very effective but takes consistent practice over a period of time. It is also very thorough. It is not for everyone as it involves directly confronting experiences rather than escaping or trying to change them.

For a beginner, one of the best books I have come across for this is "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Bhante G. It is free on-line at realization.org here:
    http://www.realization.org/page/name...ipe/mipe_0.htm
    Eventually, one would have to seek a teacher or group at some point, but this book can be very good for a long time.

Greeting..

attention: As a brief description, your post leaves out some important points.. as a "watcher", one must take care not to attach themselves to the arising thoughts.. one of my mentors suggests "noticing your blossoming thoughts in an off-hand way", as if they had no value.. careful attention is necessary here not to engage the tendency for "mind chatter" as you discuss your thoughts with yourself.. an odd concept in itself, i mean we already know what we're going to say.. In noticing your thoughts in an off-hand way, it allows you to disipate them or ignore them without attachment..

Although this may, in the long run, assist TWS with an anxiety situation.. i sense that the need is more immediate.. as i don't know the trigger for such reactions i feel unqualified to suggest a specific course for root-cause adjustment.. there are other very effective meditation techniques that may be more suitable for TWS's situation...

Be well..

i understand the technique of confronting the thoughts or the anxiety,,,however i feel that at this stage i need to be able to quell the feelings of anxiety,,which yes are a result of my thoughts or it could be physical,,low blood sugar,,,,too yin or something to that effect.

right now what i am seeking is more along the lines of what Bob is suggesting,,but i am not discounting what "attention" is putting forth and iw ill certainly look at the link provided.

and thanks again for the advice and input.

Peace,,TWS

Hello Willow Sword,

There is a meditative technique called "Hang Mo Gang Xin" which can be translated as "defeating the demon and re-settle the heart". Sorry it is a bit hard to describe in a message, but it is worth doing some research on. From what I know, some of the inner Cheng Man Ching Tai Chi circle know the technique, and that may be a starting point for you.

Also, you can massage the Shen Men acupuncture point at the wrist on the Heart channel with a metallic object (eg a pen, silver ideally), which tends to calm the heart, and the Yin Tang (between the eyebrows) to help calm the spirit. It is almost as good as using a needle but MUCH safer (don't ever use a needle on these points unless you have adequate training!!!). Again, check with an acupuncture chart for the exact location.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Thumbs up

Originally posted by TaiChiBob
    Greetings..

Yes, like the breathing when you sleep.. it is a primal signal that the body is winding down.. not unlike a "heavy sigh" where we use that pattern to dispel worry or tension..

Be well..
    I second TCBob on this one. Once you get good at it, it will become instinctual. Your subconsois (sp?) mind will do this automatically any time your adrenilin starts to rise. You still get the bennifits of the added energy, but you mind will be clear enough to use it productively, and not let the primative mind take over, as it usually would in this situation.

One thing I did notice that was left out is the pause at the bottom of the breathing patern. When you let out your breath, let it come out naturally. this will leave you with a small amount still in your lungs. Don not try to force this out in any way. Just let it sit there untill you are naturally compelled to inhale again. I have a wonderful book on this at home. I'll look up the name and auther today and post it for you tomarrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Breathing Exercises

I've been taught that the body is a very complicated, finely balanced organism, and that to alter the intake of the breath can be quite dangerous unless done in a very specific way under the appropriate supervision of some one who knows the organism quite well.

Personally, I've found that relaxation follows attentiveness, and with relaxation the breath changes quite naturally, without any attempt to intentionally control it.

Question

You don't take a deep breath of fresh air in the morning, or try to stifle a yaun now and then? This is also deliberatly changing your natural breathing. The technique being discribed is nothing more than re-setting your mind and calming your emotional reaction to stress by assumming the sleep pattern naturally found durring sleep. Nothing dangerous about that...
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I have a wonderful book on this at home. I'll look up the name and auther today and post it for you tomarrow.

Thanks Becca. will look for your post.

PEACE,,,TWS

Reconnection.

We may have worries and stresses from daily life. Overtime, they accumulated. We may also start to have fears about things we have no control, unpredictable or just unknown.

Anxiety is from setting expectations and worrying about the expectations not met.

Meditation all starts from calming the mind and quieting the heart.

Mind is reasoning, rationalizing and analysis.

Heart is emotions and feelings.

Before going into any of reasonings or feelings about anything.

Just first start over. Clear your mind first by sensing the breathing, heartbeat, the wind or sounds around you. You connect your mind to your body (Ren) and the environments aroud you (Tian and Di).

No memories. Try to merge your mind into the wind, the water, the air, the earth. We are from them. We are made out of them. The energy from the Sun. All lives based on that.

What was the problem?

What was the worry?

What was the expectation?

What was the stress?

Not able to solve a problem, or is it really a problem?

Everything will come all in due time. We may not rush the time or 4 seasons of the year. We may not hurry day into nite.

Everything will come all in due course or right conditions. A ingredient is missing, we may not make the soup or cake right.

What is the rush in time?

What is missing in the conditions or factors?

What is the expectation in time and conditions?

When things happen, things will happen.

What is the worry?

What is the stress?

What is the anxiety?
    Last edited by SPJ; 02-05-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    Thanks Becca. will look for your post.

PEACE,,,TWS
    It's Six Seconds to True Calm by Robert Simon Siegel.

Exerpt: "Six Seconds to True calm's simple enlightened technique enables anyone to transform stress into dynamic wellness. Learn hoe to quickly:

> Relax your body without drugs, by employing your muscle release levers.

>Clear your mind of distressing thoughts and experience expanded awareness, by using sensory perseption.

> Calm your emotions and become more objective by turning on your parasympathetic calming mechanism.

>Access and stimulate your life energy, by discovering your "little sun", the source of your personal life force."

Over all, a very nice little book. It doesn't take much effort to see the strong TCM influences that went into it's making. It is very easy to follow, and unlike many self-help books, it does not bog you down or drag on for 300 more pages than it needs to.