Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you condition without going against Tai Chi principles?

Also, try mixing your protein drinks with water or juice in place of milk - it may taste like sun-dried ass, but'll get some of the calories out.

Good luck. Let us know your decision, progress.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Thanks Vash. Chances are I'm not going to join a gym, but I'll start doing the ole' "work out with your own body weight" thing. I have a number of those types of workouts in my head still (I had a personal trainer years ago - he was big on "no weights, but your body's weight").

I'll report back on my progress, later.

shawn
    Doctors: "Mr. Simpson, this procedure MAY increase your brain power ... OR it may KILL you!"

Homer: "Increase my killing power, eh? I'll do it!"

Hi Shawn, maybe you're just blessed with a slow metabolism. My only suggestion is to practice till your legs are shaking, then practice some more!

swim breast-stroke continuously for 45-50 minutes 3 days a week along with a good 1 hour heavy-bag routine 5 days a week
    Tai Chi is

Originally posted by Vash
    . . . Yes, the intent is to be relaxed, but if you're too relaxed, you're falling down so that I can more efficiently stomp on your crotch.
    Jeeez Vash, ... you wouldn't really "stomp on my crotch" would you?

By the way, I'm still laughing about "sun-dried ass"

Nice one.

Hey Cam - I'd rather be "cursed" with a hot body.

END TRANSMISSION
    Doctors: "Mr. Simpson, this procedure MAY increase your brain power ... OR it may KILL you!"

Lifting weights

Hey Shawn,

I was also told that lifting was bad for Taiji by a bunch of my friends but something about it never sounded right. I talked to a trainer about how to keep the muscles conditioned with out getting tight. Her first comment was to increase my stretching, the more I stretched the less likely I was to get stiff. Secondly, to increase my aerobic workouts such as jogging. And, lastly she suggested if I wanted to work with weights, to do more reps at a slower pace with a lighter weight.

Let me know what you think.

LLTDOW

Lifting weights is not bad for tai chi. It may be bad for you. (Don't panic Vash, it may be good for you) Clearly, exercise effects muscle bulk which may interfere with a certain range of motion. Clearly, muscle bulk is not an indication of fitness or conditioning either. Clearly, every body is different. A good teacher may tell you to avoid weight lifting and tell the guy next to you something else. Do you have a good teacher? Ask him.

Breast stroke fits right in with tai chi motion, but seems to me, the most relaxing stroke to do. Maybe if you push it hard you might get a conditioning workout. What do you think about butterfly stroke?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

try breast-stroking a mile in under 40 minutes.
    Tai Chi is

That's a curse I could live with. Maybe try something like Pilates, they talk about working with the core all the time and you'll meet lots of cuties!
    There are a lot of good suggestions out there Shawn, though I thought Tai Chi should be enough, at least you don't have to sacrifice your body,(knees) to get in shape

Yeah - my knees still bother me. Thanks Temple Kung Fu ... those jerks!

There's a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal sweetie at my school, though I've only seen her once.

Pilates babes ... yeah, you're right. Though I might get busted staring at clevage. Being a man is good. I don't appologize for that comment either.

shawn

Greetings...

Mmmm.. breast-stroking.. Mmmmm...... oops, sorry, got distracted..

Gymnastics, break-dancing, rock climbing, Taiji ball QiGong with varying sizes and weights... stance training, trance-dance for hours.. custom diet prepared by a knowledgable nutritionist.. swimming (i favor the back-stroke).. make every physical task a mindful training in principles..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Shawn,

Above all, I think that you should focus mostly on your health. If you're heavier than you want to be, so be it, as long as you're not overweight or unhealthy. I don't want to give you some cheesy philosophy that you should accept yourself and love yourself. Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd way (weigh -haha) way my image of myself against what it would take to change that i.e. I simply could not partake of a fitness/ diet regimen where I was forcing myself to eat things I didn't enjoy (not to be construed as a knock against vegetarianism at all). What I'm trying to say is that I eat well and if it means I carry a bit of weight, so be it. If I'm healthy with a bit of weight, screw it - that's fine with me.

Sorry, I rambled. I think I had a point in there...I do understand your pursuit of slimness, though.

Did you ever read Asterix and Obelix when you were young? Obelix was 'larger' but man could that dude fight!

In the end, if oprah and dr. phil have taught us anything, it's that if you're a big, fat lardo, it's not your fault!
    Doesn't matter - I'll probably get hit by a car anyway.

Agree with cam

There are a lot of cuties in Pilates classes as well as Yoga classes.

Both will increase your flexibility and core strength, two key assets in Taiji. Plus, you don't see to many fat yoga or pilates instructors.

LLTDOW

Greetings..

In the end, if oprah and dr. phil have taught us anything, it's that if you're a big, fat lardo, it's not your fault!
    "we are what we have chosen to be.. the beauty of it is that we are free to choose again and again".. If Oprah and Phil taught us anything it's how to avoid taking responsibility for our own existence.. choose who you want to be and do it, period. If you are comfortable with excess weight, fine.. just don't blame it anything other than your own choices.. unless, of course, you have a real medical condition.. genetics are tendencies and can largely be overcome with diligent effort, just another choice depending on what one chooses to be...

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Hi Shawn,

I find that practicing yoga gives me a lot of strength. I think some people have the wrong impression about it in that they think it's all about flexibility. Really you work all your muscle groups with vinyasa and standing poses while becoming very flexible. The idea is to do all this fluidly, with long breaths, effort without tension. You might find that it complements your tai chi well.

I too have a slow metabolism. In fact, at one point I gained twenty pounds while playing 3 soccer games per week and it wasn't muscle. I found that I really had to adjust my diet because it was all about the foods that I was eating.

I second or third the idea of getting your thyroid checked. If your doctor is mystified you might want to check in with an endocrinologist. These doctors really understand thyroid problems, blood sugar issues and metabolism.

Cheers,

Laugh