Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Lion Dance Training

Starting Lion Dance Training

This Sunday.

All I know for certain is that my Sifu learnt it whilst studying Jow Gar.

Can anybody give me any Hints, tips or a rough idea of what to expect?
    thankya
    Mike: I dressed up as an old Isralie woman once.

Tim: Did you?

Mike: I didn't HAVE too.
    Spaced

Practice & listen to your sifu...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Training? Heck, I thought they just throw you in the back and say "Keep up!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Naw... that was just you...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    Training? Heck, I thought they just throw you in the back and say "Keep up!"
    Kinda what i'm worried about.

Anyone who knew me during "Kwai:the clubbing years"can testify that I move around like i'm holding a power cable in my teeth.

Sean: That's a given.

Spaced

Originally posted by kwaichang kaned
    Anyone who knew me during "Kwai:the clubbing years"can testify that I move around like i'm holding a power cable in my teeth.
    I don't even know you and I find that mental image disturbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Spaced

work your stances and stepping from stance to stance.
    Your feet have to match that drum beat.

Make sure that when you are in the puppet, you don't like like a guy in a puppet (the guy in the back does this more often than not because he stands there...like an idiot while the front guy gets the choi chang.

Your stepping should match the front guy and your head shouldn't be a bump on the back of the lion.

always flap the sides of the lion when you are the tail. looks like the lion is breathing that way. moving faster, breath faster(flap more) moving slower, getting sleepy? bigger flaps, slower deeper breaths.

Lion dance can get complicated in the beginning, but once you get the basic idea of it, it is not hard.

It is pretty easy to do bad lion dance though. Especially if your kungfu is weak.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Northern or Southern Lion?

Who's your sifu?

Tail's supposed to be a more advanced student than the head, traditionally.

For head:

Train lifting, holding up high, and twisting up high with the head for strength and endurance. Train footwork to show the lion steps strong & on time. Turning, looking, and blinking all help to make the lion look alive. Need total body coordination.

For tail:

Bend at the hips more than the knees. Shoulders need to be lower than hips; this is key. Stepping at the EXACT moment the head steps isn't as important as making sure the stepping looks like a live animal: not too little stepping, not too much stepping. Make sure your angle behind the head isn't such that the lion looks "bent", unless you have good reason. You're the bootie and the rear legs: so sometimes you wag playfully and other times you stamp forcefully.

Man I miss liondancing....
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

why did you stop?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

No bs answer? hehe

One sihing was telling me to train sanshou and visit different gyms.
    Another sihing felt the need to tell sifu what I was doing.
    Sifu yelled at me for doing what I thought I was supposed to and told me that his school wasn't a place that produced fighters.

After that little situation, i tried to just "part time" it and just hang out to lion dance; but the dynamics of the situation kinda killed the thing for me and I reluctantly stopped going down there.

Can't say I miss the 1 hour drive to class everyday though. LOL
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

dang, that's pretty messed up. What does his school produce then? are they top notch in lion dancing? On the bright side, your gas bill should be alot less!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    dang, that's pretty messed up. What does his school produce then? are they top notch in lion dancing? On the bright side, your gas bill should be alot less!
    the school produces some of the best jow gar students around and some of the best traditional martial artists around, or so i've been told. and great lion dancers, which i have seen perform twice. and im sure with the skill those students possess I'm sure they could handle themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Lueb's right in his assessment of their skills; and I'm sure they'd appreciate such a high compliment coming from him.
    I ain't tryin to bag on the skills of the students.
    They just didn't want ring-fighters for whatever reason.
    Seems like I'm constantly caught in awkward positions. lol
    I don't wanna bash on those guys by any means; but I just don't see any reason anymore to be vague about why i left.

But if any of you guys with schools wake up one night to hear the door alarms going off; don't be surprised to find some tubby white guy gettin downright melodious on your drum or lion. lol