Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ONG BAK: The Thai Warrior (Tony Ja)

The stunts were pretty good for the most part. The stunts (and fighting) were the main reason to watch this movie; you certainly wouldn't watch it for the amazing cinematography. Blurry and overly-red describes many of the scenes in the movie and the taxi chase is one of the most innane and pointless chase scenes I have ever seen. The plot was full of holes and the guy with the electric voice box was so annoying that they gave up on having him use it for the last few scenes. It was also funny watching the audience reacting to some of the less-impressive stunts in the movie while failing to notice some of the cleanest fight work in the film at all. I hope that the main actor (Jaa?) gets some roles in better films because he is good.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I just saw it last night. It was indeed pretty cool. refreshing to see a movie like this I'm so sick of people flying all over the place and watching computer graphics dominate. not to say that stuff doesn't have it's place, and can't be appreciated. I hope this movie ong bak sets a new trend in a revival of the more realistic approach to fighting movies and less of the fantastical.

Yeah and if they can get the action director from this movie together with a cinematographer from hollywood (or China) you might just make a good fight movie.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Thumbs up

If we're going that far might as well throw in an excellent screenwriter for a better script and dialogue.

Yeah but I'd put up with corny dialogue and a poor script if the fighting and camera work are good.
    Simon McNeil

I think with this, and "Unleashed" we are actually seeing the new trends begining. No wires, all realistic style.

Definately a fresh raw movie. I thought the voice box was funny as hel!, especially when he laughed "bzzzzzzzz" LOL

The best fight I think was the last psycho in the fight club.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Oh also, Just to let you all know Tony Jaa studied kung fu in Hong Kong for a few years.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

I like his front thrust kick. Granted, it's glam'd up a bit, it's still cool to watch a movie make use on one in that manner.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

3 words:

Knives For Sale

LOL, that was hillarious.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

i downloaded and watched it, it was in thai w/japanese sub, so i didn't understand it at all but i would have to say that it was one of best fight scenes that i have watched in a long time. one scene i didn't like is that one fight scene with that big grunting guy that throws stuff.

here is the trailer for his new movie

whenz da next movie commin out? O.O it looks.. gangsterr

his fighting style didnt look very thai to me, at first i thought it was chinese martial arts because of his stance and arm positions, almost like praying mantis or snake.
    he did use the elbows and knees of muai thai very well though. but didnt he have a certain cma style about him, especially his manuvering and weaving and attacking with a small circular defense/offense. very cool though, i heard he was the best fighter in the world for his class.(so i hear)

Ong-bak

Watched Ong-Bak yesterday night, Finally someone looking credible!
    didnīt know about the elephant...

Noah

I saw the thai version of ong bak several months ago - great action in that film...and with no wires.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter