Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethics and martial arts...

The other common saying I heard over and over again.

Yao Yung Wu Mo.

Have courage or bravery but do not have strategy.

This is the biggest taboo of any MA'er.

We win by tactics and strategy and not by bravery alone.

I got knocked or tapped on the head a lot.

Tap!

Yao Yung Wu Mo.

Smile.

so, I was watching the history channel and they ran a doc on the history of the "samurai".

I missed first twenty minutes, but to summarize, samurai code were mainly developed during the ~100 years+ of relative peace before the meji restoration. the samurai class were attempting to find a purpose for themselves in the time of peace (soldiers without a war to fight) to justify their existence to themselve and others. they began to formalize ritual and codes of conduct (i.e., buring incense in your helmet before wearing it so when the enemy chop thy head off, he will have a pleasant experience. uhemm.....). it became ritualized and institutionalize.

before this period, the concept of honor although exist was not taken to the extreme. before this period, you can find war reports which states the enemy were numerous and more powerful, so we fled. during this period of peace, fleeing from combat was look down upon. death in combat became a great honor. etc, etc.

after meji era, japanese war machine needed to instill fanaticsm into their soldiers and they adopted "bushido" for their needs. they institutionalize bushido as the code of the Japan nation. as every japanese was a samurai in some sense.

if one take this doc to be accurate and my interpretation of the presentation to be accurate, we can draw the following conclusion, when people have more time than they know what to do with it, they can get really mess up. maybe not on every occasion, or at least, in this case, it seem like it.

what does this have to do with this thread's topic, how the heck do I know.