Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cirque Du Soleil martial dance...

If you think all Cirque shows are the same...

...you haven't seen the VEGAS shows. Mystere, O, Zumanity and Ka are each very unique. Mystere is the most like a standard Cirque show, in that it began as a touring show, done in a travelling tent. But O, Zumanity and Ka were designed for their theaters - O and Ka have these amazing stages. And Zumanity is, well, adult.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

Although I havent really seen any new performances by cirque. I'd like to rise to it's defense based on what I have seen. Maybe the standard has or has not dropped. However it's a performance showcase... Just like perhaps the martial arts tournament scene.. or maybe even a football game...All of these things are essentially the same things being repeated again in different ways. Don't be too jaded about it. It's just a show. And I too am happy that Chinese martial arts is geting exposure elsewhere, it can only be a good thing.
    peace.

Originally posted by Waxwood rod
    The choreography was lacking I thought. It looked pretty sloppy at over done at points, maybe that's all part of thier special cheesy fromage queso fondue dip.
    and the next tiome you will be on jay leno let me know. okay? i wish i saw it. but it will probably be online soon enough. good to see cma in the mainstream once again.

edit*
    as for the quality of the performerers, i have a friend who did top of the line circus shows for years, and he said the circque are the people who couldn't make it on the top. master hu said why dont you try out for it and he kindly declined but was having a good laugh when he told me about it. so dunno about that.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 02-11-2005 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

and he said the circque are the people who couldn't make it on the top
    Why? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I would think the opposite.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Originally posted by tug
    Why? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I would think the opposite.
    i'm not too sure. basically what i was getting, its all the washups, because all the good people are on top of their game doing something better more respectable. i guess if your in a top class show CDC is a step down.
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Interesting. I never would have thought that, but it certainly puts a different light on the whole thing. What are non-CDC ers doing? I got the impression CDC WAS the top.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

perhaps its at the top of the bottom, and maybe it is the bottom of the top

I'll buy that for a dollar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

i'm not too usre what is the top. all the people that cant get jobs in top shwos ive been told go to CDC. thats all i really know. he did professional acrobats for msot of his life. so idk. we didnt talk about it much.

quote : " I'll buy that for a dollar.

I've never heard that phrase used outside of Robocop!
    wow.

They can put down sushi, I know that! When O was in town we happen to hit a popular sushi bar here in town when the cast of the show also decided to hit it. We ended up meeting a few of them and sort of hanging out. At the end of the night the show picked up the tab for everyone who was still there!

um, as far as circuses go, someone fed you a pig in a poke Lueb. Cirque is considered one of teh hardest shows to get on board with and to stay on board with.

Like I said, as far as those types of shows go, IE: Circus type variety shows sans the lion tamers and elephants, Cirque is the top.

Are there more skilled people out there in a russian circus somewhere? Probably, but that is a question of access and not whether the Ringling brothers can put oin a better show or has more skilled players in the acrobatics.

But my personal spin on the whole thing is that Cirque is in my opinion passé. They had their value long ago and seem to be reiterating the greater part of their offreings in each show they do despite the name differences, you're gonna see the same stuff regardles of which one you go to. Production values aside (which of course have a huge impact on a show), the performers in Cirque are skilled in acrobatics, contortionism etc, but I can go see the Chinese acrobatic troupe and be just as amazed without the wild costumes and light shows and props that are to be seen in Cirq. I think that if all those aspects where removed from Cirque, you'd still have a bevy of talent, but would it be as good as something like the Chinese Acobatic troupe? My opinion says no. But, about that "top" thing. I would have to concede that Cirque is where the top performers go for that type of show.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I didn't see the Leno show, but I've been to a few different CDC shows as they rolled through my city. They may re-use elements from show to show, but you can't help but be wowed by the performers' skills. It really is unbelievable. Some of the things they do with no safety appartus at all is an amazing tribute to the time and effort these people put into mastering their craft. You really can't help but be impressed with it.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

somthing else cool

http://www.momix.com/

saw them at a local university show. amazing physical prowess.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

nah KL he didnt feed my anything. he could have made it on the show a couple times but didnt. maybe for people with no skill its hard to get on. hes been in the industry hmmm say 15-20 years, i think he knows what hes tlaking about