Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cirque Du Soleil martial dance...

I've never heard that phrase used outside of Robocop!

...just showing my age again...
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

red5angel

When O was in town
    O never travelled. Three Vegas shows - O, Zumanity and KA - are permanently installed in their respective theaters. They are not 'tent' shows. They cannot travel.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our newest exclusive web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In the May+June 2018 issue

Join the Circus!
    Philip Sahagun’s Unique Journey from Champion to Cirque Du Soleil Artist Coach

By Gene Ching

May+June 2018
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Alex Woo

Alex Woo worked his way from competitive kung fu to Cirque du Soleil
    By Juliet Pennington Globe correspondent,Updated November 20, 2019, 3:58 p.m.

Alex Woo with his father and grandfather at Walt Disney World.

When he was 11, Massachusetts native Alex Woo traveled with his family to Las Vegas and went to Cirque du Soleil’s “KA.” He said he “fell in love” with the show and told his father as soon as it ended that he wanted to be just like the martial artists in “KA” when he grew up. Woo, 26, who lived in Winthrop until he was 5 and then moved to Natick, began studying martial arts as soon as he returned home and became a standout in the competitive kung fu tournament scene. In recent years, his focus has been on the performance aspect of martial arts, and in 2015, he auditioned for Cirque du Soleil. He did not make the cut, but after a few more years of hard work and dedication, he tried out again in 2018 and this time made it. Woo, who attended the University of Massachusetts Boston, and was working in security at Tufts Medical Center prior to being hired by Cirque du Soleil, is in the troupe’s new production of the ice extravaganza “AXEL,” which comes to the DCU Center in Worcester Dec. 5-8. “The show is awesome,” Woo said, adding that fans will love the high-energy performance that combines world-class ice skating and stunning acrobatics — all mixed with pyrotechnics and lasers. “I’m looking forward to my whole family coming, my friends, the people I’ve trained with [at kung fu], my old co-workers from the hospital. … It will be really cool.” We caught up with Woo, who lives in Boston when he’s not on tour, to talk about all things travel.

Favorite vacation destination?

My favorite vacation destination is Disney World. I first went there with my whole family when I was just an infant. Disney World became a huge part of my childhood, as I would go once or even twice a year with my family.

Favorite food or drink while vacationing?

Every time I’m on vacation, I always must scout out the best Asian food restaurants. I love trying out new places to eat, but for the most part, I’m on the hunt for the best sushi or best Korean barbecue restaurants in the area.

Where would you like to travel to but haven’t?

I would love to travel to Tokyo. Besides Montreal I haven’t traveled outside of the United States. Many of my friends say Tokyo is an amazing place for a vacation, so based off their recommendations — and what I have seen on travel TV shows — I’ll put Tokyo on the top of my bucket list.

One item you can’t leave home without when traveling?

My phone. Technology is one of the biggest things nowadays, especially if you need to get to places and contact people. In case of any emergencies, or if I need to get to places via Uber or Lyft, I need to use my phone.

Aisle or window?

This is a tough question for me. I love a window seat because I can see the sky — especially when I’m taking a red-eye flight and I can watch the sunrise. I find my mind drifting off in a poetic daydream when I see something beautiful like the sun rising. An aisle seat is ideal though if you need to use the washroom. When you’re sitting in a window seat, you have to worry about disturbing the people sitting next to you when getting up.

Favorite childhood travel memory?

My favorite childhood travel memory is when I was about 11, I went to Las Vegas with my family and we went to see Cirque Du Soleil’s show “KA” for the first time. I fell in love with this show as it beautifully combines martial arts and acrobatics in one amazing production. After watching the show, when my dad asked me what I thought about the show, I told him that that is what I want to do when I grow up — that I want to be like the martial artists in “KA” when I’m older.

Guilty pleasure when traveling?

My guilty pleasure when traveling is cheating on my diet. I love trying out new places to eat, and when I’m on vacation, I feel like I am able to eat whatever I’d like, even if it’s not the healthiest for me.

Best travel tip?

Always arrive early for everything — especially when taking a plane to your destination. The last thing you need is to be late and miss your flight, because that just leads to potential delays in your vacation. I always like to arrive at least an hour early before my flight so I have plenty of time to rest before the plane ride.
    Not a very telling interview, but maybe when AXEL rolls through, I should reach out to0 get something more martial.

Cirque du Soleil is back on ice with Cirque du Soleil AXEL
    MONTREAL, WEDNESDAY, MAY 22, 2019
    Cirque du Soleil AXEL
    A New Experience Fusing World-Class Ice Skating with Breathtaking Acrobatics

ARENA TOUR STARTING OCTOBER 2019
    Exclusive pre-sale for Cirque Club members starts today
    General public on sale is Friday May 31, 2019

Montreal, Quebec, May 22, 2019 – Cirque du Soleil is proud to announce its return on ice with a new creation that will spin you into the vibrant world of Cirque du Soleil AXEL. This unique experience will showcase world-class acrobatic skating performances set in fantastical universes combining full-spectrum visual effects and awesome live music that seamlessly integrates popular songs with new original scores.

“The success of our first creation on ice has reinforced our ambition to further explore the extensive creative possibilities of a frozen playground,” says Daniel Fortin, Vice President Creation. “With Cirque du Soleil AXEL, we will offer a truly electrifying experience to all audiences, pushing the boundaries of creativity with the unique approach that has forged the reputation of Cirque du Soleil.”

The show tells the story of Axel, a young man whose passion for live music and graphic arts come to life in an exhilarating adventure that reminds us all that our dreams are within reach. Discover this young artist as he falls for the fascinating Lei in a high-speed chase for love and self-realization.

Created to tour in arenas around the world, Cirque du Soleil AXEL will hit the ice for the first time in Cornwall, Ontario, on October 4, 2019, before taking to the road to stop in several cities in the United States. This new on-ice experience will be presented in Quebec City and Montreal later this year.

Tickets Information
    Starting today, 11:00 am ET, Cirque Club members can purchase tickets via an exclusive online pre-sale at cirquedusoleil.com/axel. General on-sale will start May 31. To sign up for Cirque Club and receive access to this exclusive offer, click here.

Cornwall, ON
    Syracuse, NY
    Huntsville, AL
    Pensacola, FL
    Tampa, FL
    Jacksonville, FL
    Roanoke, VA
    Worcester, MA
    More tour dates to come.

Exclusive pre-sale for Cirque Club members for Montreal and Quebec starts June 17, 2019.

Partners

Cirque du Soleil AXEL is presented by Sun Life Global Investments, Presenting Partner of the Canadian tour. Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group would also like to thank Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte, Mastercard, Simons and Van Houtte, our Official Partners.

For more information, visit: cirquedusoleil.com/AXEL

Follow #AXELCirque and #CirqueduSoleil on social media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

About Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group

Cirque du Soleil AXEL is the 48th original production of Cirque du Soleil, part of Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group, and its second on-ice experience.

Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group is a world leader in live entertainment. On top of producing world-renowned circus arts shows, the Canadian organization brings its creative approach to a large variety of entertainment forms such as multimedia productions, immersive experiences, theme parks and special events. It currently has 4,500 employees from nearly 70 countries. Going beyond its various creations, Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group aims to make a positive impact on people, communities and the planet with its most important tools: creativity and art. For more information about Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group, please visit CDSentertainmentgroup.com.

Media contact:

Geneviève Laurendeau
    Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group
    514-723-7646 x 6411
    Genevieve.laurendeau@cirquedusoleil.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bakersfield is the closest to me for this tour

Cirque du Soleil AXEL
    Spectacular skating, breathtaking acrobatics, live music and stunning graphics - It’s waiting for you in an all new ice spectacle: Cirque du Soleil AXEL.

Join Axel and his adrenaline-fueled crew on an exhilarating adventure as his passion for music and graphic arts takes you on an electrifying journey.

See sparks fly as Axel falls for the captivating Lei. Together they jet off on a fast-moving quest through fantastic and colorful worlds to retrieve the stolen light from the mystical Vi. Will Axel find his voice and fulfill his destiny?

Get ready for amazing music, stunning projections, and mind-blowing acrobatic skating performances in Cirque du Soleil AXEL.

Bakersfield, CA Rabobank Arena
    Mar 12-15, 2020

Worcester, MA DCU Center
    Dec 5-8, 2019

Quebec, QC Centre Vidéotron
    Dec 12-15, 2019

Montreal, QC Centre Bell
    Dec 19-29, 2019

Detroit, MI Little Caesars Arena
    Jan 2-5, 2020

Milwaukee, WI Fiserv Forum
    Jan 9-12, 2020

Tulsa, OK BOK Center
    Jan 16-19, 2020

Cincinnati, OH Heritage Bank Center
    Jan 23-26, 2020

Kansas City, MO Sprint Center
    January 30, 2020 - February 2, 2020

Nashville, TN Bridgestone Arena
    Feb 6-9, 2020

Greenville, SC The Bon Secours Wellness Arena
    Feb 13-16, 2020

Columbus, GA Columbus Civic Center
    Feb 20-23, 2020

Prescott Valley, AZ Findlay Toyota Center
    Mar 19-21, 2020

Las Vegas, NV T-Mobile Arena
    Apr 3-5, 2020

Everett, WA Angel of the Winds Arena
    Apr 9-12, 2020

Tucson, AZ Tucson Arena
    Apr 17-19, 2020

Rio Rancho, NM Santa Ana Star Center
    Apr 23-26, 2020

Eugene, OR Matthew Knight Arena
    May 14-17, 2020
    Buy tickets
    Spokane, WA Spokane Arena
    May 21-24, 2020

Victoria, BC Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre
    May 28-31, 2020

Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Centre
    Jun 4-7, 2020

Kelowna, BC Prospera Place
    Jun 11-14, 2020

Kamloops, BC Sandman Centre
    Jun 18-21, 2020

Prince George, BC CN Centre
    Jun 25-28, 2020
    I thought there was a local one that came through the SF Bay Area. Honestly, I've tuned out of Cirque since I last checked in with Philip.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cirque du Soleil files for bankruptcy and cuts 3,500 jobs
    CNN Digital Expansion 2016
    Jordan Valinsky
    By Jordan Valinsky, CNN Business

Updated 1901 GMT (0301 HKT) June 29, 2020

New York (CNN Business)
    Cirque du Soleil, the producer of a number of Las Vegas acrobatic shows, has filed for bankruptcy.

In an announcement Monday, the Montreal-based company blamed its bankruptcy on the "immense disruption and forced show closures as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic" and is aiming to restructure its debt with assistance from the Canadian government and private equity firms.
    The filing comes three months after it temporarily suspended production of its shows, including six in Las Vegas. It also has about 10 shows on tour across the world, including "O," "Michael Jackson One," and "The Beatles LOVE."
    Cirque entered a "stalking horse" bid from its largest backers, including a mix of multinational private equity firms from the United States, China and Canada for $420 million. That offer is intended to be a starting point in an auction to draw other bidders.
    The company has also received $300 million in fresh funding to "support a successful restart, provide relief for Cirque du Soleil's affected employees and partners, and assume certain of the company's outstanding liabilities," it said in the release.
    Cirque is drowning in nearly $1 billion in debt, according to multiple reports. That's becoming increasingly untenable as its productions remain suspended. To help stem the financial loss, Cirque has laid off roughly 3,500 employees.
    "For the past 36 years, Cirque du Soleil has been a highly successful and profitable organization," said Daniel Lamarre, CEO of Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group in a release. "However, with zero revenues since the forced closure of all of our shows due to Covid-19, management had to act decisively to protect the company's future."
    Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated the stalking horse bid amount.
    Threads
    Cirque-Du-Soleil-martial-dance
    Cirque-du-Soleil-s-quot-KA-quot
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips