Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tai Chi

Tai Chi

My coach was insisting that I take this since I cant take Kung fu no more (for now), cause of the knee injury I have. Im thinking of taking Tai Chi until my knee heals, then I'll go back to kung fu practice. This should be really beneficial, dont matter what age right, and I wont have to put much pressure on my knee either (jumping, running..). SO what you think?
    Be water my friend.

Iron Monkey,

Listen to your coach. A time to practice and there is a time for recovery. I have learned the hard way. I would recommend that you seek a sport doctor and start from there instead of imposing another style to your injury. Heal quick then train.

Bao
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Useless telling me to go to doctor, will never do that again cause I know everything I need to. My knee is improving. I play basketball in school for almost an hour and no pain, and thats running and sometimes jumping. I dont think Tai Chi would cause harm, and whenever I'll feel pain, I'll simply take a small break and resume training.
    Be water my friend.

you're 15, yet you know everything you need to know about knee structure, injuries, contraindication, recovery, etc.?

no, you don't know everything. not even doctors do, but they know many times more about such problems than you ever will. take bao's advice and go see a **** doctor.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Blog Entries
    Who said Taiji was easy on your knees?

Taiji is a style of kung fu. Its not any easier or harder than any other style.

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    you're 15, yet you know everything you need to know about knee structure, injuries, contraindication, recovery, etc.?

no, you don't know everything. not even doctors do, but they know many times more about such problems than you ever will. take bao's advice and go see a **** doctor.
    Ok, let me make this clear, I have been to many ****in doctors. I get the same answer from each one. So going to another doctor would just be a waste of time.

And no, Tai Chi would be a little easier on my knee IMO. When I bend my knee alot and go at a fast pace, maybe doing forms lets say, is when I tend to feel some pain, not alot though. I think that in these 1 1/2 yrs that have gone by since I had my injury, it has improved, and I know it did, I see some results. And practicing Tai Chi from what I read last night, it helps strengthen your tendons ligaments and bones, correct? Im only attending class 2 times a week either way, and its only 1 hour session.

If during any time I'll feel pain, I'll just take a small break and resume training. More reasonable now?
    Be water my friend.

I thin tai chi is very different than other types of kung fu. That is why, for example, you won't see any seventy year old men doing wushu (Yes, Yes, I know that isn't a real form of kung fu but it fits for the argument!!), yet you'll see lots of elderly folks doing tai chi. I can say from having done tai chi for about a year and having done Black Tiger for over three years, that there is a very big difference in the physical structure not to mention everything else about it.
    I would go see a doctor and take your Sifu's advice.
    A unique snowflake

Taiji=good for you. Be careful, you could re-injure your knee. Knee injuries are by far the biggest injury among taiji players. My first taiji teacher has had one for a while. Make sure your knee points in the same direction as the toe.

Knee-strenthening exercise---Do BW squats. As you lower down, come up on your toes. As you come back up, go flat on your feet.

Good luck.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

Thanks for the exercise bung bo.
    Be water my friend.

Tai Chi is beneficial, yes, but you must be careful, as with all physical activity. Personally, I have been injured and in pain for nearly a year and a half due to an injury agrivated while training in Tai Chi. I now have a neck injury that could be permanent.

Sorry to hear that KungFuGuy. I will be most careful and train slow, I'll take all pre cautions cause my knee is the most thing I care about.
    Be water my friend.

Originally posted by WinterPalm
    I thin tai chi is very different than other types of kung fu. That is why, for example, you won't see any seventy year old men doing wushu (Yes, Yes, I know that isn't a real form of kung fu but it fits for the argument!!), yet you'll see lots of elderly folks doing tai chi. I can say from having done tai chi for about a year and having done Black Tiger for over three years, that there is a very big difference in the physical structure not to mention everything else about it.
    I would go see a doctor and take your Sifu's advice.
    After 30 years I can say that a year at anything doesn't qualify you to give any advice. Especially as wrong as this. Although it's already been said it bares repeating. Tai Chi is Kung Fu and there are few styles as demanding on the knees. With that I will leave you with one video clip of a bagua demo by 74 year old Sun Zhi Jun:

Quicktime Clip
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I bet that man is invincible.

Originally posted by IronMonkey
    Ok, let me make this clear, I have been to many ****in doctors. I get the same answer from each one. So going to another doctor would just be a waste of time.
    That could be a sign, you know. Your body is still developing and will continue to untill your early twenties. Mess up something now and there will be no making it right again. Continue training untill it is 100% and you will mess it up for good. You may not realize it untill you are older, but it will happen.

Ask yourself this: "Is my training now more important than being able to train my whole life? Do I want to be able to walk when I'm 50?"

It sucks, I know, but training on an injury at your age is bad news. And highschool coaches are notorious for pushing budding athletes untill they are really and truely broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

IronMonkey,

Go see an orthopaedist and a physical therapist. These guys can find ways to correct stuff. Please don't do this to yourself.

I have two bad shoulders, one surgically repaired. I have knees that aren't the best, and an old back injury I never let heal that now gives me problems - from when I was 14.

While I can still do everything I want to do in life, I have to be more careful than I did when I was younger. I have to do yoga. I have been to a chiropractor, etc. I have to stay away from several of my favorite - and best - weightlifting exercises. These are not "they make my life better," things, these are "If I ignore these things, I am laid up for 4 or 5 days" type stuff.

You're young, you'll heal - and a **** sight faster than me. But even young bodies can't handle repetitive stress. When I wrestled, I never used knee pads until I was about 16. One day, my knees just started hurting. I wore pads until the pain went away, then stopped wearing pads again. Then I found out the next practice, that knee pads for the rest of my life would be a good idea .

My point is, take care of yourself, and don't think you know better. Insist on a doctor who listens and answers your questions, but don't try to handle this on your own.

Good luck!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli