Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATTN Gene & the Shaolin Scholars:)

ah, you guys just made the thread interesting...this topic came up out the blue when i posted, but now it's got me thinking critically about the subject.

I need a bit of time to get my words together in order to build on some of the points yall brought up

some off the head thoughts tho

i remember hearing some info about how in kung fu you should get rid of the animal vigor and i took that as saying get rid of being a spaz...can't be a proper killer if you flinch all the time, which is very Zen...don't let little issues give you high blood pressure, argueing with your wife etc over dumb shiat punching holes in the wall...a more esoteric definition for getting rid of the animal vigor is, i see it that one should be vegan so they don't get clouded up by the animals spirit turning them into a drunken savage moron...wich prolly has something to do with the science of you receive the animals stress experianced when they die when you ingest their hormones etc...if you aren't vegetarian you prolly have no idea what i'm talking about Savage

anyway so i was thinking some monks would use kung fu to get over the animal vigor to get into a spiritual mindframe...with all the trance meditations monks do and the hardcore physical labor of kung fu conditioning etc makes me curious about their experiances overcoming our primal instincts...some things about hiphop and kungfu i notice

hiphop is about battling crews to find dope crews to make bigger crews

overcoming animal vigor in kungfu leads to spirtual mind which is battling the self

hiphop breakbeats put you into a funky gangsta mindstate

spiritual kung fu techniques like ape punches transforms your adrenaline levels and physical frame which gives you a vigor which is very aggressive that can be pulled out when needed

you wake up feeling sick with a runny nose and bad sleep...turn on some hiphop real Loud and you can pull out a vigor to get you through the day

things like that...I'm going to post later on what yall wrote.peace

I haven't actually read this thread yet, but I just had to mention that the thread title is possibly the best Band name I've heard in ages!
    Train Smart, Train Hard & Enjoy Every Minute Of It.

Kung Fu & Personal Training: ABActive.com

I see where your going. You express that you use your hip hop to establish a mindset other than the one you (at the moment) posses. How in much the similar fashion one will use the practice of kung fu to escape the state of mind they are currently in. I understand what you mean. Have you read much Chuang Tzu? I think in a sense he addresses this issue in his writings.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by diego
    i'm pretty good at chilling in zen under pressure, and when i pull out my hiphop aura i get like this calm-psycho vibe...like i'm tottally crazy but also completely polite...so i'm curious about the whole yinyang of shaolin martial training make sence?
    great thread diego!

Unfortunately for me i have lost my ability to "spaz out" But i know what you mean... i got the same thing when i practised my hard qigong. Very calm, but felt incredibly powerful.

When is the Gene & tha Shaolin Scholarz album coming out?

originally posted by diego
    I don't know all the facts, but I'm wondering if any shaolin monks use kung fu as a vehicle for enlightenment...i know they do but I'm looking for historical data on those that did...any records of monks getting enlightened while punching and kicking?
    A warrior monks concern is focused on the reality of here and now. Life and death experiences bring that reality into focus as well as anything and can also be shared when practicing kung fu. Shared experience that bring reality into focus may not lead to enlightenment but they certainly get one moving in the right direction. As for records that is a good question but Shaolin's history speaks volumes regarding the awareness of this very point.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Gene & tha Shaolin Scholarz

Hmm, I was rather hoping for my band to be called "Gene and the nacho ninjettes"

If you're so interested in Hip Hop and Shaolin, you've done your research and read my '99 article Hip Hop Fist, right?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

quick note before i get back to this thread...running a job search right now

thought about it and shaolin and conscious hiphop is good for marketing...many convicts have become conscious from listening to and emulating the likes of great MC's like KRS-ONE, Rakim and WU-Tang

many cats have wanted to be a righteous martial artist because of the shaolin legends

there is another good point of comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Hmm, I was rather hoping for my band to be called "Gene and the nacho ninjettes"

If you're so interested in Hip Hop and Shaolin, you've done your research and read my '99 article Hip Hop Fist, right?

bought that issue....that article is what got me paying attention to your writings genie

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    I see where your going. You express that you use your hip hop to establish a mindset other than the one you (at the moment) posses. How in much the similar fashion one will use the practice of kung fu to escape the state of mind they are currently in. I understand what you mean. Have you read much Chuang Tzu? I think in a sense he addresses this issue in his writings.
    cang and dez, good points...Pang is chuan Tzu another spelling for sun tsu?

if not i don't think i've heard much about him...got any good links that relate to the topic?
    peace

ohya that is a good band name!!!

genie?

That was a fun article to write, actually. And since I'm plugging old articles, there was a semi-sequel that appeared in seven chapters on the e-zine. This being said, I've mined the hip hop/shaolin relationship probably more than anyone in the biz. I was hoping it was a diamond mine. So far, it's only turned up diego but at least something came of it...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We talked about the connection on the martial media side....

maybe it was ORA
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    That was a fun article to write, actually. And since I'm plugging old articles, there was a semi-sequel that appeared in seven chapters on the e-zine. This being said, I've mined the hip hop/shaolin relationship probably more than anyone in the biz. I was hoping it was a diamond mine. So far, it's only turned up diego but at least something came of it...
    lol, what i meant was like compared to christianity etc...only peeps who get saved from christianity are those looking for a comfort blanket...shaolin and conscious hiphop is do it yourself ethic, so they really grab peeps and make them conscious...no bruce lee no breakdance like how we know it...no wutang clan....no jackie chan and all the shaolin monk popularity in the 90's...no jet li as we know him

it's all connected interestingly

KINJAZ | "Shaolin" @theglitchmob

Posted here because it came up when I searched 'breakdance'.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips