Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our 2005 Wing Chun Collector's Special Issue

Our 2005 Wing Chun Collector's Special Issue

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Smile The Competition...

Looks like Inside Kung-Fu has William Cheung on the cover too.

...but they'll never compete with YOUR mag, Gene.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

When I see "hidden secrets" I tune out.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Ha Ha thats a bad pic if you work for the FCC.
    If a person offends you, do not resort to extremes, simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick.

Mark Twain

Originally posted by 45degree fist
    Ha Ha thats a bad pic if you work for the FCC.
    LOL. I thought maybe it was just me.

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

Originally posted by Matrix
    When I see "hidden secrets" I tune out.
    Me to,, one speak of secrets,, speaks of his or her own limitations… there are no secrets!!

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com

Well, with that kind of enthusiasm...

...we'll see if we do any more Wing Chun specials...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now now Gene. I do hope that you do Wing Chun specials in the future.
    Just have to make sure that it is a good representation of the diversity in wing chun.

Joy Chaudhuri

I always like the issues that focus on wing chun...but like Joy said, a little more diversity in the various lineages, perhaps maybe more on the fighting aspects of wing chun without the filler....I agree with Matrix and Ali with the "hidden secrets" bit...there's just too many people out there that know better.

We want bud light, not bud.

But you did get me to buy some stuff from MA mart though! So your advertising was great!!!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Yeah, I'm just kidding.

Actually, the Wing Chun issues happen fairly organically. We get more article submissions on Wing Chun than any other style. You're a prolific bunch. At a certain point, we collect all the submissions together and do a special. We'll probably do another one since I doubt that the Wing Chun people will stop writing at this point. The last one did fairly well on the newsstand. Unless this one tanks (which is pretty unlikely) we'll probably do another. Ask me next year.

As to getting other lineages, everyone is welcome to submit articles. Here's our writer's guidelines if you're interested. We don't request articles except for some rare occasions with authors that have worked with us extensively in the past. And Wing Chun is far from my area of research, so it really relies upon the Wing Chun community more than anything else. We'd welcome more diversity with open arms.

As for the 'secrets' issue, it's simply a literary device. Surely you all know that. You can't really write an article called 'secrets' and say that you're actually keeping secrets. That being said, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. FWIW, it's a pretty good sell point. If I put 'secret' on the title of a videotape, I can increase sales in the popular market.

Thanks for your support Vankuen - what did you buy?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nothing big, just some posters and some vids of the WT system, I've recently gone from practicing WC, to practicing WT through the EBMAS method...and so I wanted to do some more research on the ideals of that lineage.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Re: Yeah, I'm just kidding.

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Actually, the Wing Chun issues happen fairly organically.

Hey Gene,

Without that wild Emei mountain snake Fujian white Crane spring water palm people often making joke about. It cant be that ORGANIC to eat.

just teasing you. hehehehe

an idea, you want a sizzle hot burning issue?

get the White Crane Fang Chi-Niang classical, The Emei 12 Zhuang writting, the Wing Chun Kuen Kuen Kuit from the Red Boat , Chi qi-Kuang's miritary writting, ... Shao Lin secret note... put the cover of all these books or manual in the cover page.

Then, get the white Crane, Emei, Wing Chun people together , Shao Lin Zen monk.. etc and discuss about Wing Chun and published everyone's view in that hot Special edition.

and,
    we can sell arrow mountain spring water for side job too to cool down the world and make lots of $$$ infront of your office where a stage put up so people can present their reasons. hehehehe

But, then, the world might get too heat up. hahaha. So, better not doing it that way. (just joking with wied ideas ofcorse.)
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-18-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Re: Yeah, I'm just kidding.

Originally posted by GeneChing
    As for the 'secrets' issue, it's simply a literary device. Surely you all know that. You can't really write an article called 'secrets' and say that you're actually keeping secrets.
    Sorry Gene, that's not quite what I was getting at. I was thinking more along the lines of Ali's comment................. "There are no secrets".

I understand the need for marketing in your publication, so don't get me wrong. I think I'll pick up the mag this weekend and see if I have any more specific comments.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

secrets

MT: Maybe there are secrets. Maybe nobody has told you them yet. How would you know? Actually, it really depends on how you define secrets. Sure, there was that book, There are no secrets, but there are definately levels of training - you can't reveal everything to beginners because you just befuddle them. It's like trying to teach calculus before multiplication. Which really has nothing to do with someone mentioning secrets in their article title, but I'm just saying...

HD: It's a good thing you don't publish magazines....

VK: Thanks for your support. It's nice to be carrying the WT stuff. We'd been discussing it with GM Leung Ting for years. It's good product, on the whole, and he had been having some problems with his US distributors. FWIW, his company does a great job packing - very professional!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yea I got the stuff today, nothing bad to say of you all as the distributor, but the video (Dynamic wing tsun) was pretty dissappointing. A'lot of what's on there is just total nonsense it makes me wonder if it was money motivated or maybe just really outdated.

I asked my EBMAS sifu about it the other night, he said he hadn't seen it in a while, but that he knows that from that time till now, the system (on the LT and Boz' side has evolved from what it was then.)

When do you think you will get the Hanwei forged butterfly knives in again? I wouldnt mind having a set of those waiting for me. It would prove to be good motivation to get to that point in the system.