Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Traditional forms training. (especially knifefighter)

In general, the applied kinesiologist finds a muscle that tests weak and then attempts to determine why that muscle is not functioning properly. The practitioner will then evaluate and apply the therapy that will best eliminate the muscle weakness and help the patient.
    Basically, but to the extent you can practice on yourself while training.

I don't think Tug meant exercise kinesiology but only kinesiology in the broad sense that you move and adjust your body while learning forms. Maybe some mild aerobic effect to that but obviously only a side effect.
    Yes.

And sorry for being so angry, not having a good week.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

How many of you can show and explain what each movement of your form is for?
    Not as many as there should be, but still probably a lion's share.
    If you can, can you make it work against a boxer or one of your childhood, muscle head, hero's?
    Against a boxer? maybe. Against childhood hero? Yes. Han Solo's gerneral thing was just running screeming into crouds of stormtroopers.
    Do you even understand how to stick to a boxer from your forms training? Do you even understand what I mean when I discuss principles like "sticking" and "following" and where do forms teach you how to do this?
    Yep. Part one of learning a form is learning the basic movements. Then we do the "self-defence" version, wich is learning the application of it. Finally, we go after each other full contact, trying to keep the form as clean as possible. Last, we take the form, pick it apart and use the bits while sparring. There is no way to do this without learning how to stick and follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

No fair Becca,

I think you peaked ahead. The point is, and I hope you are getting it, you mentioned a number of things you had to do besides form. It didn't stop at learning form. In my experience, you learn the other way around, ie learning the form last. Basic first--->applications--->drills--->drills with steps--->2-man drills--->applying it in free fighting--->than forms.

Doesn't anybody want to tell me how two man forms help and weapons forms are like weight training?

Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

The point is, and I hope you are getting it, you mentioned a number of things you had to do besides form.
    I think most people realise that you can't just stop at form. If that's your point Count, I thinking you're preaching to the choir here.

Maybe not in the US generally, but on this forum at least.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Originally posted by count
    No fair Becca,

I think you peaked ahead. The point is, and I hope you are getting it, you mentioned a number of things you had to do besides form. It didn't stop at learning form. In my experience, you learn the other way around, ie learning the form last. Basic first--->applications--->drills--->drills with steps--->2-man drills--->applying it in free fighting--->than forms.

Doesn't anybody want to tell me how two man forms help and weapons forms are like weight training?

I do not see how two-man forms are like weight training, but if you use a heavier-than usual weapon, yes it can be similar. I actually do this with my bo and nunchaku.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Originally posted by scotty1
    I think most people realise that you can't just stop at form. If that's your point Count, I thinking you're preaching to the choir here.

Maybe not in the US generally, but on this forum at least.
    Yes and no. The point is the OVERemphasis on forms during training, coupled with the expectations of learning to apply their martial art on the one hand. On the other hand, observations from the outside that forms training is all there is in CMA training and CMA'ists can't fight because of the way they train.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Originally posted by Becca
    I do not see how two-man forms are like weight training, but if you use a heavier-than usual weapon, yes it can be similar. I actually do this with my bo and nunchaku.
    Sorry Becca, the implication was supposed to be that two man forms might help learning to stick, follow, divert, adhere etc, and that weapons forms might help build strength. But keep thinking about it.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Yes and no. The point is the OVERemphasis on forms during training, coupled with the expectations of learning to apply their martial art on the one hand. On the other hand, observations from the outside that forms training is all there is in CMA training and CMA'ists can't fight because of the way they train.
    OK cool. That makes sense.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Originally posted by count
    On the other hand, observations from the outside that forms training is all there is in CMA training and CMA'ists can't fight because of the way they train.

that's not because of forms though, necessarily. It's because of the design of traditional training - it seems to take longer to produce a fighter in some styles. It's like paradox - traditional guys say mma guys are a jack of all trades and master of none, but at the same time, they are doing forms, iron body, two man, chi sau and various other drills, weapons, qi/nei gong, etc... where's the focus?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    traditional guys say mma guys are a jack of all trades and master of none, but at the same time, they are doing forms, iron body, two man, chi sau and various other drills, weapons, qi/nei gong, etc... where's the focus?
    Never heard that before, but I guess I get your point.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

its like eggo waffles vs. home made waffles. sure the eggos will be a little different from your buddies cause you toasted them longer. but primarily they will be very similar. but the home made waffles will be different from your buddies cause your recipie is different. Of course in a modern world the eggo's will get the job done alot sooner, and you will basically have the same end result. You will be full. The home made ones will just have a different type of satisfaction involved in the end result.

MMA will develop fast furious fighters who have a very rounded idea of fighting styles, TCMA will slowly develop fighters with a very very sound understanding of their particular style in regards to fighting.

Both are good, they just approach the end result in a different way.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Originally posted by PangQuan
    Both are good, they just approach the end result in a different way.
    It's only good if it works. Since TMA isn't producing the same ratio of quality fighters as MMA, there needs to be some tinkering with the training.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

wait until there has been long enough exposure of the TCMA in america, you will begin to see its effects. I bet you anything that there are some bad dudes over in china who studied traditionally. So what if they dont wanna go into cage fighting. Americans will. Besides all that cage fighting is american anyhow. And TCMA is producing great quality fighters, it just takes alot longer, after about 15-20 years of TCMA the mindset is also adopted from the style. And if you dont know what that mindset is, then I am not telling. There will be an upcomming account of TCMA fighters just wait. That is the whole point man, patients. Wait it out, it will come. Just like that baseball movie. If you build it, they will come. tell you what, Ill train my son to be a great fighter using traditional means. so wait about 20 - 30 years and Ill prove it. LOL.
    Last edited by PangQuan; 02-18-2005 at 10:18 AM.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Originally posted by PangQuan
    wait until there has been long enough exposure of the TCMA in america, you will begin to see its effects. I bet you anything that there are some bad dudes over in china who studied traditionally. So what if they dont wanna go into cage fighting. Americans will. Besides all that cage fighting is american anyhow. And TCMA is producing great quality fighters, it just takes alot longer, after about 15-20 years of TCMA the mindset is also adopted from the style. And if you dont know what that mindset is, then I am not telling. There will be an upcomming account of TCMA fighters just wait. That is the whole point man, patients. Wait it out, it will come. Just like that baseball movie. If you build it, they will come. tell you what, Ill train my son to be a great fighter using traditional means. so wait about 20 - 30 years and Ill prove it. LOL.
    MMA is like, what, 10 years old. TMA has been here since at least WWII. CHinese Arts have been openly taught since at least the 70s.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Openly taught yes, but not highly studied until more recently. MMA caught on really fast, and with the methods it develops fighters very fast. I am not in anyway knocking MMA, but you should also realize the methods of TCMA are just different, not wrong. If you change them then you no longer have TCMA. I will not change, and I can garantee you that no other TCMAist will change either. It is futile to try.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan