Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Demons and Martial Arts

Pang Quan, is a figment of your imagination. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

no

:: the sound of dreams shattering ::

Originally posted by ZIM
    But only because I'm a Western "demon".
    Sounds like "mumbo-jumbo" to me.

"lol"
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

My demons can beat up your demons

are you saying eastern demons are more real then eastern demons gene?
    No, red5angel, I'm not saying that, but they do have better Kung Fu. Ever seen Mr. Vampire? My initial comment was more in respect to the original point of this thread, that it was in a martial arts context, and I assume that it was an eastern martial art. It would seem laughable to me if some Karate guy was talking about Satan or Beelzebub or some western derived demonic beasty. It would not seem that odd if some Qigong master was talking about eastern demonology. In fact, I just had a conversation about this very subject - a noted master was discussing the need for some sort of protective circle, almost parallel to a western mystic circle but he was using Feng Shui terms, when drawing universal qi in qigong.

I'm not saying that's not odd. I'm just saying that it's not too odd. Nor am I saying that I believe in it. I'm just saying that there are many respectable masters who do believe in it. Know "what" I mean?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

My teacher's shi-gong would yell at him to become one with the animal's spirit of whichever animal he was studying at the time. While not demons, there is a similar spirit type theme.
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

Sweet pun on "shi-gong," bro.

Re: My demons can beat up your demons

Originally posted by GeneChing
    No, red5angel, I'm not saying that, but they do have better Kung Fu. Ever seen Mr. Vampire? My initial comment was more in respect to the original point of this thread, that it was in a martial arts context, and I assume that it was an eastern martial art. It would seem laughable to me if some Karate guy was talking about Satan or Beelzebub or some western derived demonic beasty. It would not seem that odd if some Qigong master was talking about eastern demonology. In fact, I just had a conversation about this very subject - a noted maste was discussing the need for some sort of protective circle, almost parallel to a western mystic circle but he was using Feng Shui terms, when drawing universal qi in qigong.

I'm not saying that's not odd. I'm just saying that it's not too odd. Nor am I saying that I beleive in it. I'm just saying that there are many respectable masters who do beleive in it. Know "what" I mean?
    I hear ya Gene. I have seen too many 'wierd' things in my time training kung fu not to at least keep an open mind about it. My Sigung was heavily into the mystical aspects of kung fu.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Just get yourself some astral spies to keep the demons at bay.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

But you can only do that if you are a ninja.

Besides, a demon would pwn an astral spy.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

You are not brought upon this world to "get it!"
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

I have heard that it is possible to be possessed by an evil spirit if you do meditation that requires you to totally empty your mind of all thoughts. Some people claim to have done such meditation without ever having that problem, though. I have also read that it is a pratice of some styles to allow a spirit to possess you in order for you to perform certain movements. But what are you supposed to do if that spirit does want to leave your body? I would be very afraid to mess around with that stuff.

Originally posted by Ray Pina
    Think of the 4-Fs (feeding, fleeing, fighting and fu(king ) OUr old brain ran on those. Our newly evolved cortex gives us reason.
    Okay, who put that other F in there?

About 3 or 4 years or so ago (I think) I presented a model (well, basic outline, of my own designing...) of human behaviour to an online martial arts forum (not this one) based on what I called the 3 f's: fleeing wasn't one of them. The entire point was that reason only makes us able to follow these three drives in more complex and abstract ways. It doesn't override them.

Gotta love finding something you said years ago repeated later but with the point entirely missed. It's like Chinese Whispers.
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

Re: Demons and Martial Arts

Originally posted by serene_dragon
    Has anyone else ever been confronted with this kind of problem?

An instructor in my area is calling on the demons, according to some of his students he has them meditate away from the light and into the dark to bring the power of the demons to them. Telling them after a certain level of training that it is the only way they can continue their training under him and it is the only way of reaching their true potentials.

When things like this get out, and it did in my comunity, it turns people away from Martial Arts thinking we all do the same things. The # of people who would inquire about class dropped off considerably when some of his students started talking about what was going on.
    Just think of it as the beginning of the end for that instructor. I wonder what motivates an instructor to begin spouting off about demons as a method of training. Especially in the bible belt. Truth be told, he probably had impure motivation from the beginning and it's coming out. It always comes out. I've seen it happen a few times here in Vegas as well. Ego and darkness tend to go hand in hand. Barely a year ago, I saw two senior students trying to "curse" each other in the parking lot. For various reasons both students have since been expelled, one lost his job and his home, and the other decided he was a master since he knew a whole two Tai Chi forms, so he opened his own school which didn't last two months.

Re: Re: Demons and Martial Arts

Originally posted by Scythefall
    I wonder what motivates an instructor to begin spouting off about demons as a method of training.
    Manga. What else?

I view it as a variant of making chi balls & hurling them at one another.
    Last edited by ZIM; 02-17-2005 at 09:49 AM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب