Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony C controversy...

Originally posted by reneritchie
    ...he takes a lot of glaucoma medication
    THAT was too funny!

Question

Joe Rogan from Fear Factor?
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Originally posted by Vio
    Who taught these guys catch, isnt catch wrestling english?
    You cant even get people who still teach it here anymore
    Here you go:
    http://www.catchwrestle.com/info.htm
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Dale:

When the back goes out - he shuts it down.

Until then - he just does his thing.

But the bottim line is - he can't push the envelope too far. There's no way he could chance going into a NHB event, for example.

And no...I'm not an area representative.

Just a student.

.................................................. ...........

Vio said this:

"Who taught these guys catch, isnt catch wrestling english?
    You cant even get people who still teach it here anymore."

THERE ARE BASICALLY two traditions within Catch-as-catch-can wrestling - and Lancashire (England) is one of them. (Karl Gotch comes from that school)....The other comes from the midwest (Ohio, Illinois, etc.) - from the 1880's...and starts with people like Martin (Farmer) Burns - and others.

Farmer Burns' top student was Frank Gotch - the first official title holder of World Heavyweight Wrestling Championship within the NWA (National Wrestling Alliance).

Karl Gotch's real name is Karl Istaz...he took the name Gotch in reverence for Frank Gotch. (Karl is a German-Hungarian who was born and raised in Belgium).

So today - you have Tony Cecchine teaching (he originally learned from Stanley Radwan)...and there is Karl Gotch...and Billy Robinson teaches in Japan at the present time.

Then there are one or two people who teach Catch - one being none other than Gene Lebell in California (though he mixes it with judo/jiu jitsu - and is close to being considered a true hooker - but not quite) - he learned his best Catch stuff right from Lou Thesz...and there is Billy Wicks - but I don't think he's still teaching.

The school in Wigan, England, to my knowledge - doesn't exist anymore.

.................................................. ...........................

Rene and Dale:

You two guys seem to know who Eddie Bravo and Joe Rogan are.
    I've never heard of either one of them until this thread.

What can you tell me about them?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-17-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Victor

Eddie B is a student of one of the machados and lives in California.

He is a BJJ blackbelt.

He beat royler Gracie with a triangle at ADCC but lost to Leo Viera who went on to win it.

He is known for being innovative and unorthodox - for example the rubber guard (high, tight climbing guard in which you grab your own foot) and the twister (a neck crank from a half back mount)

BTW my BJJ teacher has a herniated disk in his back. He can demonstrate techniques but he cant roll anymore - it might paralyse him.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Thanks for the info, Nick.

Here is a UK Catch school:Aspull Olympic Wrestling Club
    Monkey vs. Robot

Joe Rogan- Fear Factor Host; UFC commentator; BJJ purple or brown belt, I believe.

Joe Rogan is host of TV's Fear Factor (on NBC) and color commentor for the UFC. He is a JJ Machado Purple Belt. I think he used to work on Man Show, and was/is a stand up comedian by trade.

Eddie Bravo was a high school wrestler who joined JJ Machado's school. He started to figure our BJJ setups for the wrestling guillotine (called the Twister to differentiate from the BJJ guillotine). He uses funny names for his moves like lockdown, old school, twister, rubber guard, cavalcade, silverado, monkey mount, defcon 4, etc. When a brown belt, he won the North Am ADCC World Submission Championships US Trials (Eddie began a preference for No-Gi because he feels the Gi competitions are too boring). He went on to ADCC CHampionships in Brazil in 2003 and choked out a BJJ Black Belt with a rear naked choke (forget the guys name), then went on to tap out Royler Gracie by triangle choke. JJ Machado gave him his black belt at that point

Bravo used to write for the Man Show but quit to teach BJJ full time. He is helping train Chuck Liddel for his rematch with Randy Couture in the next UFC.

I went to his seminar in Ontario, and aside from being an incredible competitor, he is an awesome instructor (better than most I've encountered in any art).

I think Andrew S on this forum trains with him.

You can check out his highlight video at http://thetwister.tv/10PJJ.htm

Stranger:

You know...I actually visited that website once before - but forgot about it.

Thanks for reminding me.

Great to see that the Lancashire version of Catch Wrestling is still alive and well.

Have always been a fan of Karl Gotch - and have read about Billy Riley.

.................................................. ............................

Lots of info, there...Rene.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-17-2005 at 07:55 PM.

You know...I actually visited that website once before - but forgot about it.
    I think Tony had a link to Aspull on his website last year-ish.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    And no...I'm not an area representative.

Just a student.
    How many times have you trained with him?

Not enough times to my liking - as of yet.

And if you've been reading the monster thread over there - and I'm sure you have been - then you'll know (or should know) that I'm not going to answer this question in depth...as too many Catch haters and Cecchine haters are looking for ways to try and change the subject...

which is - WHERE IS THEIR PROOF THAT CECCHINE IS RICCIOUSA?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun
    WHERE IS THEIR PROOF THAT CECCHINE IS RICCIOUSA?
    No proof that I have heard as of yet. However, some pretty ****ing circumstantial evidence as far as his character is concerned.

I can't deny it.