Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to Bullshido?

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY
    This thread is useless, delete it. =)

Really, it's like a giant ad for Bullshido on your board.
    At one point, I would have agreed with you.

If anything though, it's a sign of how well KFO has weathered stuff like Ralek etc.

A lot of people have stuck by the forum and gotten value from it. Gotten used to moronic troublemakers etc. I know I have.

Why give in by giving a reaction at board level?
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then
    PROCEEDED TO BEAT IT TO DEATH , AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

im working on the song

songs are hard to do

here is a part, its really good

"yeah
    she nasty
    ooooh baby, do the dance
    myyyy lady, she romance
    yay, in my pants"

hey look here its me praticing the singing the tune

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM
    At one point, I would have agreed with you.

If anything though, it's a sign of how well KFO has weathered stuff like Ralek etc.

A lot of people have stuck by the forum and gotten value from it. Gotten used to moronic troublemakers etc. I know I have.

Why give in by giving a reaction at board level?
    I have too, hence the sense of humor with it (notice the smilie).
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

I'm a member at Bullshido under a different name. I've been on the internet in discussion forums since around 1990 (in the old .usenet forums) and I've found Bullshido to be one of the best forums. It's got a great cross-section of martial artists who are searching for the truth in a no-nonsense, "prove it" type approach. If somebody makes an absurd claim and is called on it, then they should be able to back up their claim with actions, not just words.

Can anyone tell me what is so wrong with this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhostDog

Nothing WRONG with it, so long as it is ON BS.
    It's when BS expresses itself on OTHER boards, and interfere's with THEIR 'Status Quo' that it sometimes becomes a problem.

It's got a great cross-section of martial artists who are searching for the truth
    The Truth though. That Holy Grail that is perceived to exist somewhere eh?
    Ever see 'The Silent Flute'?

If Bullshido is D4 C0rr3ct in it's mission, then it should surely have little or no concern for the lesser opinions of mere mortals on humbler boards?
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

J.R.R. Tolkien

OMG, some body got a DNA sample from the burnt carcass of the last dead horse, separated the live cells, cloned another horse, watched it grow, let it come to maturity and then

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhostDog
    I'm a member at Bullshido under a different name. I've been on the internet in discussion forums since around 1990 (in the old .usenet forums) and I've found Bullshido to be one of the best forums. It's got a great cross-section of martial artists who are searching for the truth in a no-nonsense, "prove it" type approach. If somebody makes an absurd claim and is called on it, then they should be able to back up their claim with actions, not just words.

Not a thing.

The problem is, with Bullshido, as any other forum, is portrayed by those who post the most and their opinions are viewed as what that board is about.
    Now, the 'idea' of being about exposing the BS in MA is great, but when it results in overgeneralization and such it actually adds to the BS in MA.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bullshido, it's not their fault, but some of the 'patrons' are jacka55es.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Um, I been skipping through it and it's pretty much like any other martial arts chit chat type alot kind of place...like this one.

It's got a few people who seem to know what they are talking about, dozens of lurkers, piles of punks, indignant folks, fortune cookie types etc etc.

Not much different from pretty much any board really.

And if post count means anything well crown me King! I have a gabajillion posts here and I been here since it was that funky ringbinder layout look!

Also at CK since it was ALMA 10 or more years ago... I mean, the internet has only really been around for most people for 10 years. Usenet was there before, heck I still check in on rec.martialarts now and then. same old same old. usenet seems to be mostly hitler apologists and people up in arms about the hitler apologists though. Its like 3000 boards worth of Makow or rense out there. freaky!

anyway, it's all the same old same old, nobody is doing anything new, and that seems to suit most people just fine. I dig this place mostly because of the whole game of death colour scheme. It is way better looking than Steve's original ring binder look. which was kinda goofy, even back in 95
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek

anyway, it's all the same old same old, nobody is doing anything new
    Nail on the head moment there;

A major theme that comes across, is that BS IS doing something new.

I held out high hopes for it initially, but it's just air talk, by air heads.

Maybe KFO should start a Kungshouldave section, where we can all explain our past failings on Karate traing?

J.R.R. Tolkien

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Actually, I did your work for you.

Using the "Primary Style" field in the User Profile:

Bullshido has (out of 8137 members)

156 members who list TKD
    423 who list Tae Kwon Do or some varient

That's : 579 -- and MANY of those are duplicates.
    (579/8137 = .071%)

As for Karate:

1 who lists "krotty"
    286 for Karate
    94 for Kenpo
    88 for Kempo

Again, tones of duplicates to reach a total of: 469
    (469/8137 = .058%)

Adding them together:

1048/8137 = .13% for Karate/TKD

Others:
    515 for BJJ alone
    191 for MMA
    357 some form of "jitsu"
    236 for Judo
    98 for JKD

Total: 1397

Last time I looked, 1397 was more than 1048 (which includes both TKD and Karate in some form). And yet neither is an overwhelming majority. Searches for the CMA's turn up results similar to the TKD/Karate ones.

This suggests ... Bullshido is what is claims to be. An open community where results matter more than style.
    I sure hope your JKD skills are better than your math skills...
    "(579/8137 = .071%)" ?!?!? that’s nonsense.

Here let me help you out. According to your numbers:
    7.12% of total BS members do some form of tae kwon do
    5.76% practice krotty
    6.33% practice BJJ
    2.35% practice MMA

We can either assume that the people who actually listed their art in the primary style category is an accurate representative sampling, or that most BS members don't have any primary style. What were the percentages for MT and various forms of kickboxing, I didn’t see where you listed that? Or maybe most MMA people don't consider themselves to have a primary style or fill out the forms?

Anyway, if it is a fairly accurate sampling, then there IS a higher percentage of TKD members than BJJ members, and way more krotty and TKD members there than MMA. Again, this is just based on the numbers you provided to back your argument. I'm sure there are a lot of different styles represented on that forum that aren’t listed.

The styles you lumped together as 'other' came to 1397.
    This is 17.17% of 8137.
    TKD & karate members combined give us 12.88% of the total.
    So all other arts listed combined, account for only 4.29% more members than TKD + karate members?
    That is a high percentage of what are often considered McDojo arts. Which makes sense, really, because they make up the highest percentage of martial arts schools out there, and therefore make up the highest percentage of registered members at BS and most other MA boards.

Sorry to interject... I'll let you get back to arguing how smart you are and how Bullshido is all about sound scientific analysis, "mathematics and concrete data, assembled in a logical and consistent manner."
    BTW, welcome to KFO

honestly, aside from mutant clarifying a math presentation error (.71 or 71%, not .71%, et al), who really gives a flying squirrel **** what the masses of bullshido study? to use a bit of wisdom already mentioned in this thread but seemingly lost, what one studies doesn't matter, only how one studies it. same thing goes for the masses. and anyone who's been around kfm knows that most forums have about 20 regulars, 100 formers and a few thousand accounts that belong to xebby.

this honestly has to be one of the biggest wastes of forum space i've had to read as a mod. either do something useful with this thread, or i'm going to close it.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Quote Originally Posted by rubthebuddha

this honestly has to be one of the biggest wastes of forum space i've had to read as a mod. either do something useful with this thread, or i'm going to close it.
    LOL.RTB, You've been one of the most significant polluters of bandwidth ever joined this forum.

Cool thy hatchet in yon shiny brook, lest your Halo doth burst asunder.

Bandwidth is not an issue here, so let's have it from Admin, not mods flexing new muscle groups thanks.

J.R.R. Tolkien

HTML Code:
    I sure hope your JKD skills are better than your math skills...
    HTML Code:
    Sorry to interject... I'll let you get back to arguing how smart you are and how Bullshido is all about sound scientific analysis, "mathematics and concrete data, assembled in a logical and consistent manner."
    I don't think I've seen ownage like that since Sun Tzu choked me out 2x tonight...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Quote Originally Posted by AmanuJRY
    This thread is useless, delete it. =)

Really, it's like a giant ad for Bullshido on your board.
    I may be mistaken but are you implying that its a BAD thing?

KL,

You know we have traveled many of the same digital circuits. And we haven't crossed hands yet. This needs to be rectified. After May I should be able to make Canadian CK meetings.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

andy -- good to know my contributions are appreciated. i'll send you a fan club registration packet tomorrow.

now, if gene had more free time, he would moderate. and if sevenstar and i had more free time, we'd moderate more often. and if renegade monk actually existed, he'd moderate more often, too. but gene has little free time, renegade doesn't exist, and sev and i were busy. so on this circumstance, gene just happened to beat sevenstar and i to the punch. he's already warned everyone, so if anyone misbehaves again, this thread will be closed.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA