Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taiji vs. White Crane, Macau 1954

Taiji vs. White Crane, Macau 1954

Since the forum changes the search doesn't seem to go back beyond the start of the year, so I can't resurrect the previous thread on this topic.

Someone posted a link on another forum about a new book on Chinese martial arts literature (wuxia), which focuses on the acclaimed author Jin Yong. The author of the book is John Christopher Hamm, an assistant professor in the Department of Asian Languages and Literature, University of Washington.

Anyway, the first chapter is available as a PDF. What is interesting is a detailed section on the Taiji vs. White Crane "fight" that took place in Macau, 1954. This event seems to serve as the inspiration for a piece of writing in the "New School" of MA fiction. I don't know what he used as references, you'll need to buy the book for that I guess.

But he has all the names, dates, places, lead up, the event itself, and the aftermath. A short and diverting read. I've only ever heard the gossip about the fight, never actually any detail, so this is quite a good read.

NOTE: the event is described from page 3 onwards.

um, isn't there a clip of that fight available for viewing?

and having viewed it, I would have to say that it is not something worth talking about much less write lol. It was a pathetic display in my opinion by both contestants, and I can't apologize if that ruffles anyones feathers, but come on, that was the sloppiest goofiest thing I've seen coming from 2 alleged masters of kungfu.

In my opinion, it kind of makes kungfu look stupid, and is probably best left to die. **** the cameraman for exposing such clear bumbling about. Rules or no rules, excuses excuses excuses. Truth is, both those guys defined a new level of suckage.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek
    um, isn't there a clip of that fight available for viewing?

and having viewed it, I would have to say that it is not something worth talking about much less write lol.
    It's worth talking about to the extent that even two supposed Masters can't display the signature style of their martial arts in a real fight. You can conclude that they can't fight or that is what real fights are like.

It just seems that the whole "match" was rather limited in duration to see how things would have developed. Who knows? With the "preliminaries" out of the way, they might have relaxed into it more. It just seems like they barely warmed up before it was over.

The reason I posted the link was just to provide more background info to the event, not that the fight was spectacular or anything like that.

I agree that it was a terrible display but I wouldnt say that they did not display the signiture style of there martial arts. I had no trouble discerning who trained what without knowing either one of them. In my experience I find that in various forms of free fighting practitioners usually dont look that different from each other when they mix it up. Maybe that was the problem they were just too rigid and trying to force there training to come out who knows.....

oh man that clip sucked
    im 100% sure i could knock those masters out
    even at the shape im at now

oh man, thats not saying much
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

true, man

It just shows how good people are at BSing.

Think about it, if this kind of fight can be retold so fantastically, how reliable can tales of the feats of other masters be?

This also goes to show how utter crap WuXia fictions are.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Quote Originally Posted by gfx
    Think about it, if this kind of fight can be retold so fantastically, how reliable can tales of the feats of other masters be?
    You've not actually read the article have you? There is nothing fantastical about the fight description at all; nothing flowery, just who hit whom and when, how they were hit and what the effect was. And just as it started, it was all over.

This also goes to show how utter crap WuXia fictions are.
    It's just fiction, no need to get your panties in a twist. Again, if you'd read the article you'll find that Jin Yong's works are considered works of literature, not just regular pulp-fiction.

The "fight" (and I'm tempted to not even dignify it with THAT term) is much hyped in CMA circles, until you SEE IT!!! It is the definition of "Sux water out of the canal" and is an embarassment to everyone in CMA.....

Which proves that stories about famous fights that no one has seen are probably not always accurate.....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

lol, maybe not EVERYONE... but most...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

HTML Code:
    Which proves that stories about famous fights that no one has seen are probably not always accurate.....
    I think that is a very good point...since so many people place such stock and confidence in such fight stories...
    Last edited by Akhilleus; 02-25-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

For old time's sake, someone whould post a link to that fight again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Coach Ross has dim mak'ed the correct.

That was the most pathetic display of fighting prowess I have ever witnessed. Nowadays you can see far higher levels of proficiency in a friggin' Muay Thai smoker or amateur San Shou match fought between 6-month newbies. Nevertheless, that fight was endlessly entertaining in its ridiculousness. I particularly love the Chinese commentator talking in Cantonese about how the Tai Chi master's movements are so graceful and deadly. lol, priceless! That epic duel will be forever immortalized on my hard drive =)

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMisfortune
    oh man that clip sucked
    im 100% sure i could knock those masters out
    even at the shape im at now
    what clip?