"Advanced Wing Chun"

I was in a bookstore today and I saw "Advanced
    Wing Chun" by William Cheung. It shows stances,
    kicking and shows you the second form.

I thought it was strange it only "taught"
    the second form, and skipped the first.

Has anyone read this book? Biases aside, what did
    they think of it?

Amazon.com' has a few reviews, but not much.

reysem Guest

only the second form

In my opinion, the reason why only the second form is taught in the book is because most wing chun practitioners don't know the third form. I'm not saying that William Cheung doesn't know the third form. Maybe he just doesn't want to teach it to everyone.The third form is not readily taught because it is supposed to be a "secret".

Most wing chun schools don't teach the third form. The reason behind might be because its a secret or maybe the teacher himself doesn't know the third form.

CLOUD ONE Guest

Third Form

I was told that the third form is for attack!

So my conclusion is that I think the only sound of mind would be taught this.

anerlich Guest
    The first form is covered in another of William Cheung's books, "How to develop Chi Power".

The third form is covered in another book, called (you guessed it!) "Wing Chun Bil Jee".

The word "Advanced" in the title may give you a clue why basic material and the beginning form is not included.

As for the other posters before me, you obviously don't know anything on the subject, so why post misinformation?

Sharky Guest
    since when has the 3rd form been a secret (in modern times...) ?

Basically, it's only taught to those who are ready for it, and most people aren't, or they quit too soon.

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

vierda Guest
    I know a student shouldn't do this, it goes
    against the purpose of learning an art and
    hundreds of other reasons, but:

would anyone be able to learn the basics of Wing
    Chun' hand forms by reading these books:
    -How to develop Chi Power
    -Advanced Wing Chun
    -Wing Chun Bil Jee ?

I don't ask for flames. I know there are always
    going to be little inaccuracies in my techniques
    that will go uncorrected by going along this path,
    but at this point it's all that I can afford
    ($$ wise).

kj Guest
    Wing Chun cannot be learned from *any* books, IMHO. For the uninitiated, a book can at best provide a cursory overview and a place to begin making more serious inquiry. Neither can a video suffice. For those with some foundation already, these types of tools may serve as references, or highlight some areas of contrast between different families of practice. I believe there is no replacement for a good teacher (subjectivity alert) and an effective student-teacher relationship for learning Wing Chun. If one doesn't already have a foundation in Wing Chun, I believe a book will mislead the practice more than suffice. A technique oriented perspective also misses the depth and heart of Wing Chun, again misleading the prospective student ****her from the essence of Wing Chun rather than closer, IMHO.

Regards,
    - kj

Chum Kil Guest
    IMHO Books and Videos are supplementary to learning Wing Chun at best. Find a good instructor.

John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

yenhoi Guest

Find a instructor

If you realy can't find one, then just get the first form, start a weight training and cardio program.

William Cheungs books are not the best ones on Wing Chun out there, nor are they the best written - however, they are the best when it comes to William Cheungs Wing Chun (TWC).

Dont learn from books, join a kwoon or dojo or something - even if its not Wing Chun.

If you dead set to practice something do the SLT, or do pushups.

strike!

Bessho Guest

I agree with Yen

Pointless to start without teacher. Find someone who can show you something worthwhile, then learn from them.