Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kind of OT: Altitude

Kind of OT: Altitude

I live at 2900 feet. Last week on vacation I was hiking around Yosemite (4000 - 6500 ft) with no problems. Some of my low elevation California family (my brother lives at about 15ft above sea level) were complaining about feeling short of breath. He's a pretty fit guy.

For those of you who live at higher elevations, do you find that you get less gassed than flatlanders in general? Are you cardio monsters at low elevations?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Yue
    For those of you who live at higher elevations, do you find that you get less gassed than flatlanders in general? Are you cardio monsters at low elevations?
    I live at 6,500 feet above sea level. When I go up in the mountains to run, hike or mountain bike I can be anywhere from 7,000 to 14,000 feet above sea level.

I'm originally from Pennsylvania, just outside Philadelphia. Probably only a couple hundred feet above sea level. When I go back there I can run forever and I can easily push harder than my friends when mountain biking. The only thing that gets to me is humidity.

Nice pictures by the way.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I used to live at 7500 feet... then I moved back down to the city (5280 feet) and my cardio was good, now that I haven't been hitting it hard, I've noticed a decline (plus the fact I've been sick). When I ski I'm between 9000 feet and 13,000 feet.... and I definitely feel it. But thats how I'm trying to get my cardio in on the weekends, hiking up to about 12,000 at Keystone with my skis on my back and wearing my ski boots....

but yeah, when I go to tournements, which are all lower in elevation, I can feel it a little.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

interesting...

so when you guys to go tourneys local to you, I bet you see a whole lot of out of towners sucking wind.

Thanks CF, Yosemite is such an amazing place it's impossible not to take a good picture. You could drop your camera and it'd be a good shot.

www.curious3d.com

Nice. A trip to Yosemite just popped up this week. The wife and I aare heading there after we do Baker. Her sister is moving to LA, so while we're in the area we are going to hit Cali and Yosemite. Where is it in conjunction to San Fran and LA? Her other sister lives in San Fran, so we were going to visit each with a Yosemite trip in between.

Nevermind. Just got off my lazy arse and looked:

http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/map.htm

We won't be able to take the PCH all the way again like we did last time, but it would be worth it.

That sounds like a good trip, I can't wait to go back, I'm dying to do the 17 mile half dome hike but it (and many of the other areas/trails) was closed for the winter.

If you decide to stay over in Yosemite, we stayed in the Yosemite Lodge. Nice rooms right on the merced river, and not too exspensive as it's just outside the park. In the park can be pricey. Make sure to wander through the Awahnee hotel while you're there, it's like walking into the movie The Shining.

More pictures....
    Last edited by Ming Yue; 02-25-2005 at 12:38 PM.

www.curious3d.com

I don't know how much hiking we'll be up for coming from a 6-day mountaineering trek. Thanks for the advice about the Lodge. I'm not sure if we'd be up for more tent living or not. I guess we'll wait and see. If you do a multi-day hike, do you need a camping permit or anything?

Tournies here don't really happen...

well there are the local kayratee tournies. But not much that people come into town for.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Camping inside the park is either car camping-family style or tent cabins. You do need a wilderness camping permit to backcountry camp, you can get one at the visitor's center. You'll pay a daily or weekly park use fee when you come in - we paid $20 for one vehicle for the week, that gives you full access to the park for day use.

more info: http://www.yosemite.national-park.com/camping.htm

Most of the backcountry type trails are closed in the winter. The walks to the waterfalls are very short and easy, usually paved. If you can bring mountain bikes, that would be the best thing . I was wishing I had brought mine...

www.curious3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by norther practitioner
    Tournies here don't really happen...

well there are the local kayratee tournies. But not much that people come into town for.

hehe... I think that's spelled "Crotty".

www.curious3d.com

Nice pics by the way...
    Some of it makes me miss me old casa..

speaking of mt. bikes, I'm thinking of doing my first ride this afternoon...

/looks at clock/

Later dudes and dudettes.
    practice wu de

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Yue
    hehe... I think that's spelled "Crotty".
    I always thought it was karoddy...?
    Train Smart, Train Hard & Enjoy Every Minute Of It.

Kung Fu & Personal Training: ABActive.com

oh yeah altitude is a very important issue

the brazilian soccer team has serious problems when they gotta play in higher places here in south america such as Equador and others.
    the heights make their physical resistance go down very fast
    so they try/have tried several adaptation tactics.
    either staying where the game is for a good period of time or arriving quickly (1 day before the game, i think)... but im not sure if they have reached a final veredict on the best method
    truth is its always very hard fighting altitude

also some long distance runners train in higher places before competing in lower places, helps them too.

it's part of why people from kenya roxors so many boxors when they travel elsewhere for races.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA