Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WT in UFC??

Question WT in UFC??

Hi all

I downloaded a clip today that showed Reza Nasri fighting in the UFC. the beginning of the clip the announcer says that he is a 2nd tech in Wing Tsun. I've never heard this mentioned on the net until now, and google search doesn't bring up anything more enlightening other than how he lost, which I clearly saw on the clip! Out of nothing more than idle curiosity, anyone care to enlighten me on him, as he seems to have videos out on greco roman as well. Some of the google searches are in non english pages, and seems to mention Emin Boztepe along side.

Many thanks in advance.
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Could we have a link to that clip?...

Last century called and wants its clip back. This was real popular on the wcml in the late 90's.

WT pretty much disown the guy and any claims.

FWIW, I saw a thread on bullshido that showed pics of a successful British (I think) WT exponent who, the poster claims, uses modified WT techniques in his standup for NHB fights. Sensibly IMO, he combines it with submission grappling.

David Levicki was a WT exponent too IIRC. He went down to Rickson very quickly in the 94 or 95 vale tudo champs in Japan.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    WT pretty much disown the guy and any claims........

David Levicki was a WT exponent too IIRC. He went down to Rickson very quickly in the 94 or 95 vale tudo champs in Japan.
    I once asked Sifu Emin about Reza Nasri, and he told me that Reza had taken about 8 lessons from him.

The declaration that Reza was a "2nd Tech" in Wing Tsun was an error. -In the WT world, a 2nd level technician would be training in biu tze and wooden dummy techniques, while Reza was still in the early learning stages of basic chi-sau.

I talked with a WT guy who (while traveling) met Reza and had a workout at his gym. He told me that Reza and his wrestling students spent the majority of their time on grappling, but were working on mixing in some WT for stand-up and certain kinds of entries.

He said, in talking to Reza, it seemed that the motivation to do the cage fights was to promote his wrestling videos and his school, but things ended up not going in his favor.......

As for David Levicki, he never did WT....... He was a student of Ron Heimberger (and Master Ip Ching?) for a few years until he and Ron had a falling out shortly after David's loss in the preliminary round of UFC2.

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

I stand corrected, Lawrence, on David Levicki. I seem to remember getting into an argument with a WT guy from Hawaii who claimed DL trained at his school once, and the instructor offered him an entire training program, which of course, like a fool, he did not and the rest is history. I might well be wrong about the WT connection (after age 50 my memory is starting to act up), but in any case in this "What if" I still would have bet the farm on Rickson.

You can probably find a clip of Sali Avci (sp?) a WT guy, against Dave Beneteau a seasoned grappler/NHB fighter, in an NHB fight. It's an EXTREMELY one-sided fight. From memory WT guy presents classic guard position, Beneteau double legs him, gets mount immediately, G&P's WT guy unanswered until fight stopped.
    Last edited by anerlich; 02-27-2005 at 04:40 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Andrew,

the fight you're talking about is the Reza Nazri/ Brian Johnston fight. Sali's a different beast.

The fight- Reza shoots a double, the clinch comes, Brian muscles Reza over in a nasty throw and he's out when he hits the ground.

Reza's credentials- WT-wise I heard he was a 10th SG. His training with Emin was them grappling together. Prior to the time of the fight I heard Reza had been warned he was out of his league, out of condition, and over-reaching. He had been an *excellent* competetive wrestler in Iran, but hadn't worked with people in his league for years.

Later,

Andrew

He said, in talking to Reza, it seemed that the motivation to do the cage fights was to promote his wrestling videos and his school, but things ended up not going in his favor.......

As for David Levicki, he never did WT....... He was a student of Ron Heimberger (and Master Ip Ching?) for a few years until he and Ron had a falling out shortly after David's loss in the preliminary round of UFC2.

-Lawrence

((Prior to the fight- in various posts and discussions- Reza apparently was being identified as being coached/trained by EB. Heimberger was originally with WT for quite some time. Levicki was shown doing the double bong sao from chum kiu- and not very well IMO. He also looked quite out of shape.
    I dont recall seeing the Avci fight.
    But a student(I forgrt the name) of Duncan Leung(supposedly) in a fight in a Canadian Indian reservation- surprisingly began his effort witha kick and was not surprisingly taken down. Suposedly he was not encouraged to enter in the first place.

It takes guts to enter any ring or cage- so kudos to all above.
    However , I have not seen a top flight wc person or a top ranked boxer in the ultimare/extreme matches. Grapplers yes. One needs appropriate training/conditioning regimens
    and complete internalization of the rules for each type of event.))

Joy,

funny, I don't remember anything of the sort being said about Reza at the time. I heard about him from Mike Adams, who had trained with him in Arizona, but he was not being touted within the AWTO as being our great hope. Obviously people wanted him to win, but he was never considered a great exponent of the system.

As far as I know Sali has never fought professionally.

Andrew

Andrew-
    I did hear about Reza working out with Emin before his fight... but I dont honestly remember where and how. I dont know about Reza's own wrestling ability but Iran and Turkey have produced good wrestlers. I was wishing the best for him and still do. A loss is not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti
    ((Prior to the fight- in various posts and discussions- Reza apparently was being identified as being coached/trained by EB. Heimberger was originally with WT for quite some time. Levicki was shown doing the double bong sao from chum kiu- and not very well IMO. He also looked quite out of shape.
    I dont recall seeing the Avci fight.
    But a student(I forgrt the name) of Duncan Leung(supposedly) in a fight in a Canadian Indian reservation- surprisingly began his effort witha kick and was not surprisingly taken down. Suposedly he was not encouraged to enter in the first place.

It takes guts to enter any ring or cage- so kudos to all above.
    However , I have not seen a top flight wc person or a top ranked boxer in the ultimare/extreme matches. Grapplers yes. One needs appropriate training/conditioning regimens
    and complete internalization of the rules for each type of event.))
    Hi Joy,

Reza was, in fact, taking lessons from EB prior to the fight, but they were lessons like would be given to any student (not fight preparation). Sifu Emin has never trained fighters for competitions (although it seems he plans begin to now.)

Ron Heimberger was with WT for three years. (I trained with him for the latter two of those three years.) Even though he had the largest WT school in the USA at the time (Ron is one of the best salesman-marketers I've ever met.), his knowledge and skill of LT's system would not be considered that of an expert. The ranking he had when he left was 6th student grade. If you want to see what rankings mean in the LT / WT world, check out Sifu Sergio's page here:

http://www.wingtjun.com/nav.php?nav=training

Ron later finish the wing chun system under Master Ip Ching after he moved to Utah........

I can't comment on Levicki's skill since all I've ever seen of him were the same snippets everyone else saw on the UFC2 video, but he did seem rather soft around the middle at that time to be fighting at a "world class" level. (Andrew, -I'd bet the farm on Rickson too!!)

I don't know of any fights that Salih Avci has participated in.

The fight referred to was actually Dave Benetau vs Abel Cancio (VT stylist).
    Here's the breakdown:

1) Abel comes out in a traditional man-sau / wu-sau on-guard position, throws one punch (which misses) and is taken to the ground by a double leg takedown by Dave. (All this happens in the first six seconds.)

2) Dave lands on top of Abel in a position in which Abel could have EASILY gotten a half-guard (had he bothered to cross train ), but he does not know this position.......Dave COULD have mounted Abel at this point, but for some reason went to side control (which Abel seems to have no idea how to escape), and held him there for 7 seconds.

3) Dave climbs over to the mount (which Abel appears to have no idea how to prevent) and proceeds to land AT LEAST TWENTY clean punches to the face during the next 9 seconds. -Abel was frantically tapping out, but the ref was at the wrong angle to see the tap, and allowed the beating to continue.

-I downloaded that from Bullshido several months back, and it's possible they may still have it available for those who haven't seen it.

The Duncan Leung student who fought in "Extreme Fighting" is Steve Faulkner. He claimed 13 years experience and a "fight record" of 14-0 (chi-sau competitions?).......He went up against Russian Sambo stylist Igor Zinoviev.

Here's the breakdown of that one:

1) Steve comes charging out and throws a low front kick, to which Igor responds by moving back out of range. Steve immediately throws the exact same kick with the same leg, but this time Igor closes in, lifts Steve up and slams him to the canvas. (All this happens in the first 5 seconds.)

2) Igor establishes side control, and Steve positions his legs to prevent the mount while he tries to position himself for some kind of strike. (Maybe he learned from watching Cancios' mistakes??) He spends thirty seconds in side control, and unable to create space for a strike or escape starts to turn his back. Igor loosens his hold allowing him to turn a bit, and then (with impressive speed) gets Steve's back and puts the hooks in.

3) Steve taps out a moment later as Igor applies a rear naked choke. (Total fight time is about 40 seconds.)

Steve appeared to have some basic groundfighting ideas, but likely had never worked with a top notch grappler like Zinoviev who was able to keep control positions so tight and make transitions so quickly.

If there's some interest to see this fight (and Steve's wing chun demo which they played before the fight), I might be able to post the clips. (Let me know.)

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Hi Lawrnce:

Hi Joy,

Reza was, in fact, taking lessons from EB prior to the fight, but they were lessons like would be given to any student (not fight preparation).
    ((OK))
    Sifu Emin has never trained fighters for competitions (although it seems he plans begin to now.)
    ((Interesting))

Ron Heimberger was with WT for three years. (I trained with him for the latter two of those three years.) Even though he had the largest WT school in the USA at the time (Ron is one of the best salesman-marketers I've ever met.), his knowledge and skill of LT's system would not be considered that of an expert. The ranking he had when he left was 6th student grade. If you want to see what rankings mean in the LT / WT world, check out Sifu Sergio's page here:

((LT's ranking would be of little inteerest to me. Thanks))

I don't know of any fights that Salih Avci has participated in.

The Duncan Leung student who fought in "Extreme Fighting" is Steve Faulkner. He claimed 13 years experience and a "fight record" of 14-0 (chi-sau competitions?).......He went up against Russian Sambo stylist Igor Zinoviev.

Here's the breakdown of that one:

1) Steve comes charging out and throws a low front kick, to which Igor responds by moving back out of range. Steve immediately throws the exact same kick with the same leg, but this time Igor closes in, lifts Steve up and slams him to the canvas. (All this happens in the first 5 seconds.)

((Generally a bad idea(the kick) - for reasons I have discussed before))

If there's some interest to see this fight (and Steve's wing chun demo which they played before the fight), I might be able to post the clips. (Let me know.)

((Would'nt be a bad idea to showwhat his "wing chun" was like))

Thanks, Joy

FWIW

Igor zinoviev is a very skilled (olympic calibre) Judo/sambo guy. He beat Mario Sperry (in an amazing 15 minute fight) before being KOed by Frank Shamrock in about 30 seconds.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer
    FWIW

Igor zinoviev is a very skilled (olympic calibre) Judo/sambo guy. He beat Mario Sperry (in an amazing 15 minute fight) before being KOed by Frank Shamrock in about 30 seconds.
    It's interesting that Frank KOed Igor with the same takedown/slam that Igor did to Steve Faulkner in the previously mentioned fight........I remember seeing Carlos Newton escape that type of slam (after being lifted) by executing a cool looking aireal sumersault, but it doesn't appear to be an easy technique to execute. Most people are probably going to end up hitting the ground hard once they've been lifted like that.....(Anyone care to offer their insights on what you can try using to counter / escape the "big slam" after you've picked up?)

Joy,

I'll give Justin the clips on Sunday, and ask if he can get them posted. (I don't have internet access at home and am using a public computer at the moment.)

-Lawrence

-Andrew Nerlich

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti
    ((Generally a bad idea(the kick) - for reasons I have discussed before))
    Absolutely astounding that he would have led, not once, but twice with a kick?

A Southern Stylist handing his base over to the grappler just blows my mind.

Reminds me of UFC 1, I think, where the hard core Karate guy from Japan, perhaps he was Shotokan lead with a flip floppy lead round kick that was out of range and also landed on the ground in 5 seconds or so. Shotokan is about focused and committed attack not flimsy dancing.

I mean if the guy takes you down fine, but giving him a big ole handle like that is just mind numbingly dumb and not in the nature of a Southern Boxing art.
    Last edited by YungChun; 03-03-2005 at 11:03 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

The fight referred to was actually Dave Benetau vs Abel Cancio (VT stylist).
    Oops! Lawrence is correct. Apologies to all, and especially Mr. Avci!