Thread: deadlift -- lean back at the top?

deadlift -- lean back at the top?

i've heard yays and nays on leaning back at the top -- what are your thoughts, and why?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Quote Originally Posted by rubthebuddha
    i've heard yays and nays on leaning back at the top -- what are your thoughts, and why?
    I've been throwing a little shrug into the movement at the top, which throws my shoulders back and ends up with me arching my spine, although I'm still standing up straight at the end of the movement. Is that what you're talking about?

I hurt my back last week (just sitting in a movie theatre no less), and although it didn't occur until four days after my last workout, that little shrug could have been responsible. If it happens again, I'll quite doing that.
    Bodhi Richards

actually, what i'm thinking is what the dude does on this page:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html then click on deadlift near the bottom. it looks less like a shrug and more like a deliberate lean back. however, i could be thinking about it all wrong.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

No, you do NOT want to lean back (ie, hyperextend) your back when completing a deadlift. That movement serves no benefit and you may injure yourself. Simply stand straight up.
    Don't Just Live- Live and Perform

Center for Integrative Health and Perfomance

www.centerforIHAP.com

I'm having total deja vu at this thread.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitdoc
    That movement serves no benefit ...
    My thoughts too. What does leaning back do? You only need to bring the bar to the upright standing position with straight arms. I can see why it's needed in Oly lifts, but not DL.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

thanks guys. oh, and ironfist? shut your trap.

I think some PL orgs still require it to show that you have locked out the DL or else it will be counted as a missed attempt.

we just pull up our pants and.... throw the mike away?

Lean back.... Lean back !!! Lean back...... ?