Thread: Chang San Feng Tai Chi Chuan

Chang San Feng Tai Chi Chuan

Does any one here practice Chang San Feng Tai Chi Chuan?

According to the Yang family and their students, all T'ai Chi Ch'uan descends from a monk named Chang San-feng who lived approx. 700-900 years ago. According to the modern Chen family and the current Chinese govt., Chang San-feng is a myth and Taijiquan was created by the Chen family about 300-400 years ago. Neither side has any conclusive, documented proof to support their story, so the student is left to their own devices to decide for themselves. It is like with religion, there is no proof Jesus was born of a virgin, yet millions believe that it's true regardless. Apparently Chang San-feng was a figure of some veneration in northern China at the end of the Ch'ing dynasty, but his connection to martial arts depends entirely on Yang Lu-ch'an as far as we can tell. The Chang San-feng in a monastery stories told by Yang and his students have a didactic purpose, they are all teaching stories that have a lesson for the students, so they are useful. The Chinese Govt. is notoriously hostile to religious influences in the systems they promote, but their version is useful for promoting Chenjiagou as a tourist destination.

It is highly doubtful (although I'm sure some make the claim ) that anyone possesses the semi-legendary Chang San-feng's "original" T'ai Chi even if such existed at one point. 900 years is a long time!
    Last edited by scholar; 02-27-2005 at 10:40 AM.

There's more than one taiji style using that name... are you looking for info on a particular group, or just curious about what it is?

Hey Brad,

I'm actually interested in the Chang San Feng School branch of this style. His sect practices a particular style that I also know, and I was wondering if there were any other practitioners here to compare notes with.

Scholar,
    No offense, but you are preaching Chinese communist babble . To many Chang San Feng did exist with recorded history. He had is own sect on Wu-Tang as well as recorded history of him being the founder. Taoism see's Chang San Feng as an ancestor and founder of the Wu-Tang Pai.
    I am not looking for the "original" style, I am looking for practioners of his particular sects style of Tai Chi Chuan.

LF

Talking

No offense taken, but you are quite wrong. I'm a disciple of the Wu family and light incense to Chang San-feng's picture before the classes I teach. I was giving the "scholarly" academic version of the story. You assume too much.

Quote Originally Posted by scholar
    No offense taken, but you are quite wrong. I'm a disciple of the Wu family and light incense to Chang San-feng's picture before the classes I teach. I was giving the "scholarly" academic version of the story. You assume too much.
    How can I assume too much when that is all that you gave me to go by. I don't understand why you would give an academic version of a story when you do not believe in it -

Although I did enjoy the story...thx

LF

I study Wudang Pai

What do you study from sanf fang pai LF? I am a 16th generation disciple of the san fang pai branch. in the late 80's master Zhong Yun Long was sent out across Hubei province and Wudang shan to retrieve "missing" arts from any masters he could find, so as of modern days ther are many different wudang styles but to keep from confusion they are all listed as san fang pai being that is what we the disciples (amongst other learners) are learning. some of these arts are Bagua and xing yi (wudang), xuan men (dark gate) Tai yi, and others. I believe that Kung-fu magazine has an issue with master Zhong from several years ago. I used to have a copy but it is gone from too much moving around. I would love to compare notes with you and hope to be of some assistance on any questions you might have about wudang pai.

Scholar--why is it unlikely that someone has any original teachings from zhang san fang? we practice the original 13 postures which he created--unaltered. unlikely in america, yes...china...no. there is so much more to wudang than is even remotely expressed in the west.

-Zi Zheng-

Zi Zeng - Taoyou

Thank you for replying. I know a set that is contributed to Chang san Feng, called the "San Feng Tai Chi". I do not know much about it. As a favor to my teacher I learned it from an old Taoists disciple in the late 80's. Really long form, seems that it has a mix of Pau Kua, Hsin yi, Yang and Chen styles.
    I also am a lineage holder to a system from the Pei Chi Pai and an older style of Kungfu which did not originate from the Pei Chi Pai, but is considered to be re-born there.
    I am actually very interested what you have learned and what styles that you may know from WuTang Pai.
    Are you a Taoist, or laymen?
    You are right, here in the west people think much of our Kungfu and practices are folk lore and legend. The styles that do exist and are taught openly are usually made up forms from bits and pieces of traditional and not so traditional kungfu.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply

Tao-an

LF