Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Supersize me

OT: Supersize me

So, I finally saw this. Have to say the folks who are talking about how awful corporate america is and McDonalds, etc, are missing the real commentary.

Seems to me, the documentary was really a commentary on American lifestyle habits.

If I ate McD's three times a day and limited my exercise, I'd get fat too...

So the show is really about how fat people eat badly and don't exercise.

Screw corporate responsibility on this one.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Perhaps both messages are important to the film, that's what I got from it.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

We must blame corporate America for our troubles or we have to admit the problem is us.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

The problem definately rests on the shoulders of the people. However, it is the corporations who provide and abuse the weakness that are also to blame. I mean really, we blame drug dealers and give them worse sentences than the users. And how many drug dealers would say they want their clients to die?
    A unique snowflake

At one time, it was said: "eat **** and die."

That wasn't a suggestion, it was a warning.

If you're too stupid to understand bad food = bad health, you deserve what comes.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Well said Vash.

Corp. America can't be blamed for fast food. People want it and are willing to spend the almighty dollar on it. If people didn't want fast food it wouldn't exist. It's a matter of supply and demand. The world's economy exists on it. If everyone completely 100% boycotted McDonalds for 6 months it would fold up and die, but it'll never happen.

-Will

Greetings,

I do believe in the responsibilty of the people to make decisions and be responsible for the outcomes of those decisions. Yet, people make decisions based on the information that is available to them. There was a time when cigarette manufacturers denied that there was anything wrong or addictive with cigarette smoking. And many believed in the information provided them. And now we all know that they were lying and even had the data to prove that they were lying all along.

That being said, a great many Americans, probably millions, are suffering from SATURATED FAT ADDICTION. This includes almost all fast food restaurants from McDonalds, to your local Chinese take out food to your local pizzeria. A great many of these "corporations" have spent the millions to find out these things and they are cashing in on it; yet, is there readily available information on saturated fat addiction that would enable the consumer to make an informed decision or get help if necessary? There is not even a five minute spot on the news.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by wdl
    Well said Vash.

Corp. America can't be blamed for fast food.

If they never advertised that would be true but they do a lot to convince people that eating at McPigs is actually healthy!

However Weber would have said that Corp America is a reflection of the tendency towards rationalization and numeration in American society that is a direct consequence of the protestant work ethic. So it could be said that America (and Canada and England and France and Germany, they are the main culprits) can be blamed for Corporate America.

The remedy is three-pronged. First: advertising needs to be fought. This is why I love culture jammers; they are creating awareness about advertising and advertising is most effective if people are not aware of how images and symbols are manipulated to invoke desire at an unconscious level. Second: greater emphasis must be placed on critical thinking skills at the elementary and highschool levels of schooling. If people learn to think for themselves they will be less inclined to act like stupid sheep. Third: people need to opt out of Corporate America. Buy fresh fruit from a farmers market and meat from an independant butcher, eat in, wear no-name clothing or de-brand "brand name" clothing. Walk or ride a bike instead of driving a car.

That or we need a violent revolution where the proletariat will rise up and overthrow the bourgeoisie and their running dog lackies, establishing a workers utopia.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by wdl
    Well said Vash.

Corp. America can't be blamed for fast food. People want it and are willing to spend the almighty dollar on it. If people didn't want fast food it wouldn't exist. It's a matter of supply and demand. The world's economy exists on it. If everyone completely 100% boycotted McDonalds for 6 months it would fold up and die, but it'll never happen.

-Will
    Sorry, but McDonald's markets primarily to kids. They want to establish users at an early age and indoctrtinate them into a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits. As far as I'm concerned, McDonald's is no better than R.J. Reynolds in that regard.

If you want to get a little deeper into it, read "Fast Food Nation." He details the marketing strategies and political wrangling that goes in Washington to keep fast food $ pouring in.

Why does a company that sells french fries and milkshakes have such clout in Washington?

$$
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I have not seen the movie yet, but I agree with MP. From what I have read of the movie, it appears to be more a dig at people's eating and exercise habits than a dig a corporations (though it may be a bit of both).

In Australia, a doctor decided to prove how silly the premise of the movie was by going on a McDonald's-only diet for 3 months. The main difference was that he maintained a healthy exercise regime (and he did not up-size, and had access to the healthy eating menu). After 3 months he actually lost weight and his blood work was good.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Sorry, but McDonald's markets primarily to kids. They want to establish users at an early age and indoctrtinate them into a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits. As far as I'm concerned, McDonald's is no better than R.J. Reynolds in that regard.
    I'd have to agree completely. But I can't blame McDonalds as a corporation. Corporations will do anything in their power to make more money. Capitalism is great!

When I was a kid and wanted to go see Ronald McDonald 4 times a week, I was told, "no". Parents have a responsibilty to teach their children health and nutrition. There is 8 years between myself and my next youngest sibling, then two more after him. They ALL wanted to go to the McDonalds playground when they were little and get a happy meal, default answer 90% of the time: "no". Sometimes we would eat somewhere else then go to McDonalds and get an ice cream cone and let the kids play.

If you let your kid eat an unhealthy diet your not a responsible parent. Simply put. Even the school systems now days serve pizza and fried foods like it's going out of style, which doesn't help when trying to teach your children proper eating habits.

-Will

The film only makes a point that if you eat that crap 30 days in a row it will seriously affect your health. It asks you to think about that before you go off and do the same.

Let's face it, people in general are pretty stupid and capitalism makes note of that and exploits it.

Of course there is too much blame thrown around for someone elses folly, that's always the way.

the film could have been about cigarettes, household cleaners, etc etc, but the guy just wanted to see if all the stuff he heard was true and it was. McDonalds are selling tidy little packages of early retirement. LOL

Don't make it out like they're innocent, they're merchants just like coke dealers and all else who prey on the stupid sheep like qualities.

If this makes capitalism great, then there is a problem with the fundamental application of Capitalism. Not the concept, the application. Kind of like how the theory of relativity was exploited to some degree to create atom bombs. Or how kitchen knives are used to murder.

If there is blame, it should be shared by both the idiot who eats the crud and the idiot who sells it to that idiot.

McDonalds doesn't do so well outside of westerm countries filled with stupid fat people anyway. So wallow in your world record breaking obesity! I'm loving it! lol And you deserve it, every saturated fatty ounce of it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The difference MK, is that cigarette manufacturers knowingly marketed a product that had NO purpose other than addiction and that causes all kinds of health problems, even in 'moderation'. That is, if you smoke, say, four cigarettes a day, your risk goes up considerably. By contrast, I can occasionally have a McD's meal -even 4 times a week (not something I would do, personally) and not risk my health.

However, McDonalds is no worse for you than Fetuccini Alfredo, Creme Brulee or Mac and Cheese - all of which are readily available anywhere. Further, the food has a purpose other than addiction- to nourish bodies. Some is more nourishing than others, but do we take action against the eggplant growers because eggplant is nutritionally valueless?

Nah. Eat less, exercise more, and stop making excuses for yourself.

Perhaps both messages are important to the film, that's what I got from it.
    I disagree. I believe the fellow chose to eat and behave as many normal sedentary Americans do. That's not a commentary on McD's as much as it is on lifestyle choices.

I won't deny there were some shots taken at McD's, but it's not THEIR responsibility to do something about it, unless they are saying things like "Eat at McDonald's, it promotes health!" If I sell lard in a bucket and people come back and buy it, I'm not responsible for the effects so much saturated fat has on somebody.

That being said, a great many Americans, probably millions, are suffering from SATURATED FAT ADDICTION.
    No they aren't, they're suffering from "I keep stuffing my face." Put the fork DOWN fatty! Yet another way to shift personal blame and turn it into a "condition."
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm
    The problem definately rests on the shoulders of the people. However, it is the corporations who provide and abuse the weakness that are also to blame. I mean really, we blame drug dealers and give them worse sentences than the users. And how many drug dealers would say they want their clients to die?
    this concluded the discussion
    thanx, Palm

only the ball licking **** ridding **** eating right wingers were not capable of realising this

a simple exemple so that your weak minds controlled by the right wing can begin to understand:
    i decide to sell LEMONADE.
    i start the BUKKAKE-DO LEMONADE CORPORATIONS
    now, this LEMONADE that tastes really GOOD.
    Ok, lets say im selling my LEMONADE with some RAT POISON on it, what can i do, its part of the recipe for my AWESOME LEMONADE.
    Cos it tastes good a lot of people will buy it, get sick and die.
    They dont stop buying, cos it tastes GOOD
    SO WHAT YOU RIGHT WINGERS ARE SAYING IS ITS NOT MY FAULT AND ITS NOT MY CORPORATIONS FAULT THAT I SELL THIS SUPER SICKENING GOOD TASTING JUICE?
    OH WHAT THE ****, OF ****ING COURSE ITS MY FAULT FOR SELLING CRAP
    YOU MOTHER ****ERS
    ARE YOU ****ING BLIND

btw, it wasnt my corporation that made you blind, i just sell lemonade, your blindness is not my problem, go mind your own bussiness.

sweet, now substitute LEMONADE for CRACK
    whats wrong with CRACK
    CRACK feels GOOD
    If i sell CRACK its NOT MY FAULT THAT THE KIDS BUY IT AND ****ING DIE
    They have their own choice not buy afterall!!
    YEAH RIGHT YOU MOTHER ****ERS
    OF COURSE ITS MY FAULT, IM SELLING THE SHYT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    but it's not THEIR responsibility to do something about it, unless they are saying things like "Eat at McDonald's, it promotes health!"
    That is exactly what they were doing with their "healthy choice menu options", trying to re-brand McDonalds as a health promoting restaurant. So I guess it is their responsibility.
    Simon McNeil