Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Supersize me

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    MK, APPETITE ENHANCER?! OK, now we're starting to get into an interesting realm. By interesting, I mean fairly improbable, but if you can point to something, I'd be interested in reading it.

Appetite is a function of hormone secretion, so if you are talking about something that actually enhances your appetite, you're talking about something that screws with hormone production, reabsorption or reception. You're talking about something that would cause a person to consistently keep eating beyond satiation.

However, some parts of the food industry refer to flavor enhancers as "Appetite enhancers." Flavor enhancers run the gamut from salt, to lemon juice to various glutamic acid compounds. Each works on the same principle - they increase ionization of flavinoids in the mouth which enhances the flavor. If this is the nefarious "Appetite Enhancer," then it's no different than putting salt on your meal. Hardly a devious thing...
    I tried to find some information about the appetite stimulation but can't, so maybe I just imagined that I read it.

But as far as flavor enhancers is concerned, processed food has essentially no flavor. There is a whole strip of chemical factories along the New Jersey turnpike responsible for flavor enhancers. They know exactly which chemical combinations, for example, produce the flavor of caramel popcorn, chocolate chip cookies, and yes, even chargrilled hamburgers.

So, those hamburgers and french fries that taste sooooooo freakin good really just smell so freakin goooooooooooood that your taste buds orgasm. The food itself has hardly any taste at all.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-28-2005 at 10:42 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek
    I'm saying, I am a little doubtful about the industry not being regulated.
    As far as I know, it is strictly regulated.
    I'm telling you that meat packing and distribution in the U.S. is self-regulated. Meat recalls are self-imosed by the packers. The FDA has inspectors at every plant who can call a work stoppage when they find evidence of tainted meat, but they cannot force a meat recall.

So, instead of arguing against that point with "as far as I know," go read a book or two about it and get back with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    Amen to that sista. When I'm rich, I will have a house with a basement, and a built in chick-fil-a. That fkr will be open on Sundays too.
    That's what I respect about Chik-Fil-A. They close all their stores because they are strictly religious and don't believe in working on Sundays. While I am not christian, I respect them for putting their beliefs ahead of their wallets.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    That's what I respect about Chik-Fil-A. They close all their stores because they are strictly religious and don't believe in working on Sundays. While I am not christian, I respect them for putting their beliefs ahead of their wallets.
    The other thing that is respectable about Chil-Fil-A is what it takes to buy the rights to franchise with them. They basically want insane background checks, financial information, etc. You have to prove your an extremely responsible citizen, etc. I've always been a fan of the business model.

As far as appetite enhancers being hormones it wouldn't surprise me. The amount of hormones in things you pickup every day down at the local grocery store is already insane as it is.

-Will

Quote Originally Posted by wdl
    The other thing that is respectable about Chil-Fil-A is what it takes to buy the rights to franchise with them. They basically want insane background checks, financial information, etc. You have to prove your an extremely responsible citizen, etc. I've always been a fan of the business model.
    Yep. I've looked into that too, hoping that someday they would become a public company. But as you said it takes alot to franchise one, which is why you don't see them on every block of a busy street, unlike other chains I won't mention.

MasterKiller, I was kidding about the sunday comment. I really do respect that alot. But it is usually sunday when I am saying "it sucks that cfa is closed on sundays". Guess it's one of those wanting what you can't have things.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    Yep. I've looked into that too, hoping that someday they would become a public company. But as you said it takes alot to franchise one, which is why you don't see them on every block of a busy street, unlike other chains I won't mention.
    Exactly. It's a shining example of a well run company that isn't publically traded. They've not gone down that slippery path yet, although like yourself, I'd be one of the first to invest if I had the cash and they IPO'd.

It's a business model I wish alot of startup companies would adopt. Screw wall street, screw corporate execs and their greedy pockets, just run your business on standards and don't question your principals. The entire economy would grow stronger if only 25% of the companies thought that way.

I have to admit though, my perv mind kicks in when I go through the drive through and the chick on the other end says, "how may I serve you today". Thank God it's never a guy, that would be hard to take.

-Will

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller

They lie about their food content. French Fries are cooked in Beef Tallow; yet, they market them as vegetarian and even Vegan friendly. They were almost chased out of India when nosy reporters started reporting that their fries were cooked in Beef Tallow, even though their literature specifically stated they used 100% vegetable oil. McDonald's did an about face and quickly refitted all of their Indian restaurants AFTER the media ran the story.

Actually that's not exactly correct. They were cooked in vegetable oil. However, they were adding some kind of flavoring agent to the oil that was derived from beef. The hindus freaked out about it because they don't eat anything with cow anything in it. They consider cows sacred....you know the whole Vishnu thing.

Here's something about it:

http://www.compassionatespirit.com/M...it-article.htm

Quote Originally Posted by YuanZhideDiZhen
    sounds like his metabolism went catabolic. it's more threatening for your heart if you bod becomes super efficient at burning fats. your digestive tract can actualy ignore carbs in that state of function. see any metabolic or cardiac problems with this?

I am not 100% sure of the details, only heard that he was actually healthier at the end of the 3 months than before. I think the point of it all was that the appropriate amount of exercise is the key. I will see if I can find more info.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I don't have audio at work so I can't watch the segment, but here is a link:

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/video/2004/

On November 25 there was a story titled "Downsize Me". If anyone gets more detail out of it that might shed light on the doctor's experiment please feel free to pass it on here.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen
    make.

How many people complain about MacDonalds and still eat there?
    Well, I don't eat there. Wendys gets my very occasional fast food dollars. Very occasionally KFC and Harveys. Never McDonalds.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I don't eat at any of those places.

they are filthy, the food is NOT food.

Just garbage. Mind you, it's a free country. If you wanna stuff garbage into yourself go ahead. It's your body. One less you equals more air and water for me.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Don't me wrong, I'm all for regulating corporations as needed, but this isn't one of those cases. People need to regulate what they put in their mouths, not McDonalds.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Filet Mignon? Ugh.

If you're going to eat steak, go with a Porterhouse. Filet Mignon (ok) and NY STRIP!!!!! ON THE BONE!!!!!

WOW!!!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen
    Back in Redneckberg (my hometown) they have free BBQ hamburgers at the hotel tavern, as much as you can eat, every thursday night.

Beer and home made BBQ hamburgers!
    Can't beat it!!!
    Homemade BBQ Hamburgers are definately the way to go. And they do go well with beer. Especially European/British beer.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

One of the best fast food joints is the Short Pump Arby's. Really nice inside, with a fire place, all kinds of food like roast chicken and prime rib, table service and beer. I love CFL too. That is good chicken.
    Last edited by rogue; 02-28-2005 at 09:00 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

It was pretty interesting to read up on the work of Soso Whaley, the Aussie that did the oppisite of "Super Size Me". The link above didnt work but I followed it up with ome searches. Let it be known she is procapitalist, pro-corporate, and pro personal responsibilty. So some may already be offended as much as some are offended by Super Size Me. The biggest difference between Morgan Spurlock and her is the amount of calories ingested. She kept it at a healthy 1800- 2000( I personally think an overweight person should keep at 1500 or so) versus MS who ate in excess of 5000 some days. She also did moderate excersize 1 hour 3x a week.

He gained 25 pounds, added about 65 to his cholesterol,
    She lost 10 lbs, and dropped 40 from hers.

This more or less confirms that eating fast food is **** anyways but its not exactly what you eat but how much you eat thats more important.

I cant wait until McD's has its very own "Jared."