Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagle Claw Question

Eagle Claw Question

Hi,

I'm german Kung Fu student and I've got a question concerning the claw-technique of the Eagle Claw Kung Fu. I'm very interested in the history of Kung Fu and that's why I oftern look around on homepages of different Kung Fu styles.

When I finally found Eagle Claw Homepages (Lily Lau Eagle Claw Kung Fu and Leung Shum Eagle Claw Kung Fu) I was a trifle bemused, because on every picture this kind of claw-technique was used:

I never saw this kind of claw-technique associated with the Eagle Claw before. When I saw the Eagle Claw technique for example in a movie the actor always used this claw technique:

Unfortunatly I'm not a student of the Eagle Claw Kung Fu and there is not even an Eagle Claw Skool in Germany. So I thought, that you perhaps could help me out. Can somebody tell me, where those different claw techniques come from, what their meaning is and when they are to be used?

Thank you previously.

Kind regards

the firsyt picture is the traditional northern chinese method of eagle claw chin na or kahm na , the symbolic representation and application of the eagles talons used to seize and control.
    the second picture is japanese, although i have seen this hand posture come up in a few southern styles and oddly in some hsing-i that i've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchaser107
    the firsyt picture is the traditional northern chinese method of eagle claw chin na or kahm na , the symbolic representation and application of the eagles talons used to seize and control.
    the second picture is japanese, although i have seen this hand posture come up in a few southern styles and oddly in some hsing-i that i've seen.

The second picture is actualy crane claw although if you ever see that lair of the green dragon guy he insists it's a tiger claw.

The second claw appears to be the same technique the Dragon (Southern) guys use. I could be wrong on this, but you'd do well to post the pic on the Southern forum and see what they have to say on the matter. I think it's primarily used for seizing and control (vs. tearing and raking) also.

for reallers, check the southern board for the second claw...
    in the 5 animals hung kuen book it appears as snake...

i'm almost positive that it's also the japanese version of eagle claw though.

Quote Originally Posted by shuaichiao
    The second picture is actualy crane claw although if you ever see that lair of the green dragon guy he insists it's a tiger claw.
    Plus he'll tell you quick it's .... inherently stronger, faster, meaner, better, more refined in technique, execution & performance than most any others taught today...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchaser107
    for reallers, check the southern board for the second claw...
    in the 5 animals hung kuen book it appears as snake...

i'm almost positive that it's also the japanese version of eagle claw though.

snake uses a hand form that looks similiar but it's not actualy a claw, it's a double eye poke.

Southern dragon does use that claw form too, I forgot all about that style.

SoulGuy2k - Eagle Claw

The three finger eagle claw is used in Hsing Yi.

It is also used in southern eagle claw, I have documentation and photo's of Golden eagle style from Taiwan that uses three fingers.

starchser is correct in the his explanation of the hand shaped claw, it is predominantly Northern eagle claw that uses that uses that hand shape.

Lung Ying or dragon style is a little different, the three fingers are used but the last two are not folded down so much and looks more like an extended tiger claw.

I have some students in germany practicing eagle claw and also a school in the Checz Republic.

If you are interested in Eagle Claw in europe or visiting England to do some training please contact me via www.worldeagleclaw.com
    Kune Belay Sau

Ok thank you very much for your answers.

I'll keep on investigating on that task. If I get out any news, I'll fresh up that post in here.

@Wong Ying Home:
    Thank you for your offer. I'll prefer to make progress in my Kung FU Style first, before starting practicing new styles. But when I'm an advanced student and I get to England, I'll get in touch with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home
    The three finger eagle claw is used in Hsing Yi.

It is also used in southern eagle claw, I have documentation and photo's of Golden eagle style from Taiwan that uses three fingers.

starchser is correct in the his explanation of the hand shaped claw, it is predominantly Northern eagle claw that uses that uses that hand shape.

Lung Ying or dragon style is a little different, the three fingers are used but the last two are not folded down so much and looks more like an extended tiger claw.

I have some students in germany practicing eagle claw and also a school in the Checz Republic.

If you are interested in Eagle Claw in europe or visiting England to do some training please contact me via www.worldeagleclaw.com
    as i said in the other forum. if you ask people from southern china to show you an eagle claw. they will most likely show you the 3 finger grab. do you have any linksa to the golden eagle style in taiwan? or video's? i am interested to see what southern eagle claw looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Shaolin Lueb

I'll try and find the article of Golden eagle from taiwan, it is not widely taught and I dont know where it is in my library.

But I'll pm you when and I find it

Regards

Wong Ying
    Kune Belay Sau

Wong Ying Home

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home
    I'll try and find the article of Golden eagle from taiwan, it is not widely taught and I dont know where it is in my library.

But I'll pm you when and I find it

Regards

Wong Ying
    Thank you very much. it will be m,uch appreciated.

Adam Lueb.
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Hi,

I would be interested in that artikel too.... as I said I'm always interested in historical stuff. Thank you previously for all informations.

A few days ago I sent an Email to Master Rothrock (Leung Shum Eagle Claw Lineage). The answer has just been arrived .... he also said, that the Three-Finger-Claw is associated to the southern Eagle Claw and the Five-Finger-Claw to the northern Eagle Claw (for a better grip).

So thanks again for all answers and informations :-).
    Last edited by soulguy2k; 03-02-2005 at 07:56 PM.

Good question on the Claws. Actually both methods have their place in Northern Eagle Claw.

The 5 finger method is used 90% of time time for the majority of catch and restrain/break etc.

The 3 finger method is more specialized and used in specific/tight spaces ie: the carotid artery etc. Its often over looked as it doesn't appear in any of the standard forms of the style.

I'll plug myself here. Am arranging a teaching tour/vacation in Europe next year. Basically teaching for free in lieu of room and board.

I've got Ireland, Scotland, France and Italy covered but not Germany (got relatives ont he border in Alsace Loraine (my spelling sucks). Interested. I don't eat too much

e-mail me

Hey Wong Ying
    send me a copy of the article as well, sounds interesting. Just slip it in the envelope with the other articles I'm anticipating soon

i would like too see videos of lueng shum in his younger days performing. i hear is is really really good. but now since he is older i guess he teaches more tai chi???? (correct me if im wrong).