Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Could Bush Have Been Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek
    zim is playing hypotheticals again. yeesh, where was that coming from?
    Geez, and I gave you such a nice clean way to get out of looking like a fool.

Here's the answer to my [trick] question: At no time is war required, but it is always an option that any one of the countries could declare. After the 3 deaths, the responding body can be either the individual countries acting in concert or a larger body, such as the EU. War is still not required, but is reserved as an option. Why should be self-evident.

Since you weren't even able to come up with an answer a schoolchild could, I have to conclude that you're so infected with Bush Derangement Syndrome that you're not even able to read or understand general questions, let alone specific ones. Talking to you is hence a waste of time.

But it does bring up an uncomfortable reality: If any of us here are "Cheney-bots" it is you. You react mechanically to every instance of the topic. It hardly matters that its in a negative vein- you're every bit as 'robotic' as any other knee-jerker.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

sure zim

whatever you say. again you drop down to some low level and take a shot because I called you on a hypothetical that had nothing to do with the argument.

why not talk about Kirstie allies new fat actress show as a way to destroy the supersize me film credibility instead and then wander off into some other tangent?

Dogboy, When Merry is pressed to speak his mind, he will continually speak someone elses and also wander off when challenged on a position, He has been far less than critical of teh Bush administration and if you bothered to read a lot of his stuff you would see that for the most part he seems instead to fully support teh Bush agenda and also equally seems to have a hard on for teh arab world.

almost to a level of hatefulness, but because he can be clever with words, it may not be as obvious to someone such as yourself.

anyway, I notice none of you have responded to the simple thread of this thread wherein I agree with Cams position early on because it is "the correct"

Q: Could Bush have been right?
    A: NO - followed by factual reasons IBID: cam's post previously inter alia

the rest of the supporting stuff is nonsense, especialy in regards to the things like wdls attempts to tie Iraq to 911. But this is as typical as the swiftboat vets for misinformation saying that the AARP is standing for all the things it clearly does not stand for because it conflicts with teh neo con agenda they uphold.

Will America ever get to have truth again? Probably not during this administration.
    Bush can't even face an open press. He can't face an open question period and he can barely speak the english language. Peopl here like to say I hate the man, I don't, I just point out he is not fitting to serve in teh ofice of president of teh United States. he has neither the mental capacity or fundamental skills to do so. He is wholly unqualified and as much as people like to attack the people who point these things out, they are unable to rebut them with facts.

the facts regarding his incompetence stands.

You may choose to "believe" what you like I suppose, that does seem to be a trend down there these days. How convenient.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kung Lek.

This 'man' is such an ignorant knee-jerk he is one of the reasons I gave up writing on political threads... so at least you can thank him for that!!!

And that's coming from a real rabid left-wing extremist!

BTW, Bush was wrong, and still is. I have the facts to back it up, but my typing's too slow (the other main reason I don't take part in these threads!).

Connect the dots?
    Lets see, on 911 four jet-liners take off, they travel for a short time before going wildly off-course, no explanation... why they even turn their transponders off and what is done, nothing.
    I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why the airforce didn't scramble planes immediately, after all it's not like this happens everyday.
    I can think of 3 scenarios
    1. A total failure of the American armed survices
    2. Total incompetence
    3. It was allowed to happen
    I find all those scenario disturbing, but can someone please explain to me how the U.S. could be caught so completely off-guard! And why no-one is saying anything about it?

Here you go cam, a nice new tin foil hat in your size.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

FD,

You have to go further than U.S. politics (this also applies to dezhen's post, which was excellent, and IMO largely on the mark and I'll get to it in a minute).

I agree that Western policies in the ME are not always viewed favorably, often with good reason...but not always.

However,
    While I agree that the latter is true, wouldn't you say that the motivating factor for a good amount of AQ's support is the former, and that lack of the former might well reduce AQ to a fringe organization with a very small and thus ineffective membership?
    I disagree with the above statement because the motivating factor is not Western policy related. Man this is complicated. I'd have to write a small novel.

Let me give you a quick outline as best I can. These are generalizations. Inasmuch as I am talking about Millions of people, individual miles may vary...It's like the "ugly American." Not all are that way, but there is truth in the statement. We can be quite boorish in our behavior around the world....

In general, the ME is in decline, and has been for a good long time. This was not the result of western policy towards the region, but the product of internal rot and stagnation in the Ottoman Empire, which manifested in a variety of ways that I don't really want to go into. It's similar to "Reagan won the Cold War!" Um no....Reagan was president when the USSR began its implosion. The spending might have helped a touch, but he hardly forced the USSR to topple.

There is a real sense of lost grandeur and lost respect. Islam is not just a religion. It is a way to structure society. It is a way of governance. Ideally, the state governs in accordance with Islamic law (which does not translate either to a theocracy, or to the AQ vision of the world, or an autocratic state BTW, unless you are an Iranian Ayatollah or buy in to the AQ message, or are trying to justify a repressive regime, like the KSA).

Thomas Friedman once called humiliation the single most underrated force in human history. I'm inclined to agree. As a collective society, the ME has a sense of cultural humiliation - a once great empire of artisans, intellectuals and warriors now relegated to a secondary status. Culturally, the ME is insecure. Think about your experiences with insecure people. They LOOK for insults. They LOOK for perceived slights. And they usually find what they are looking for, regardless of actual intent or context. They are extremely sensitive towards social status. They are extremely sensitive to protocol and formality - and they do not excuse lack of such things as cultural difference. It's the kind of stuff that derails business meetings and political agreements.

Anecdotal story from a Foreign Service Officer I know - in a meeting with four VIP Iraqis, a U.S. General wore a flannel shirt, jeans and work boots. He had three or four armed guards with him. He sat at the head of the table and rolled his sleeves up. In the U.S. this is a guy who is one of you and ready to get down to business - a no nonsense fellow.

Each of the Iraqis left with the message that this was a guy who had no power to do anything. First, a representative with power would never dress like that. Secondly, the presence of armed guards indicated he was scared for his life and didn't control anything. Third, they were all offended that they'd had to meet with somebody who obviously didn't have the same status to control things they did.

Yeah, a lack of cultural understanding on the General's part, but the Iraqis were also looking for insults.

Couple this sense of Islamic humiliation with a total lack of opportunity, and you have a volatile mixture. The ME countries have mostly adopted policies that have caused economic stagnation and decrease job availability to their own people. Things aren't getting better, they're getting worse as GDP drops per capita.

People start looking around for answers. Well, these same people aren't educated in models of the world. The concept of the humanities is a small one. Fewer books are translated into Arabic each year than any other language on the planet.... and most of these are technical manuals and engineering texts, not treatises on economics, global political theory, etc. There is a general lack of knowledge about the rest of the world, or demand for such knowledge.

However, lacking such context, there is a readily available explanation. Internally, the Islamic world has been declining because they have strayed from the path of righteousness. We see this here in the United States with Pat Robertson and others who argue the United States is in decline because it strays from the path of god. But we have a host of secular counterarguments because of humanities educated people. (I would also note that the argument is phrased differently by our fundamentalists because we have a concept, validated by the Bible of separation of Church and State - we can go into that later if you like).

There are few such counterarguments in the ME - the ones that DO have them are typically moderate Muslim reformists, and quite frankly, they aren't that well known or popular amongst the populace (which isn't surprising, since most ME people don't have the requisite background in the humanities to grasp the argument effectively - doesn't matter how smart you are if you don't have the knowledge)

Externally, the Islamic world is in decline because the world conspires against them. This fits several things. First, it capitalizes on the sense of cultural insecurity. Secondly, it fits the message, reinforced in many Mosques, that the Islamic world is Allah's chosen place, to which great things will be given. If they AREN'T getting great things, then some force must be responsible. 'Them' against 'us' satisfies the requirement nicely. Thirdly, and this is a general human trait, it projects the problem, meaning "it's not your fault." That's a hell of a lot easier to swallow than the message that you might be at least partially to blame.

In fact, many ME regimes have ENCOURAGED this message in moderation, because it takes attention off of their inability to "deliver the goods" of governance. The radical Islamists get to spread their message of "returning to Allah," - as long as they don't implicate the host regime as un-Islamic - and blame the non-Islamic world for their own decline. Very useful for taking the internal pressure off the failings of your own regime.

Of course, it's an uneasy truce. When the local radicals start denouncing the regime as apostate, the crackdown begins. UBL was expelled from KSA for declaring the House of Saud apostate....Egypt beat the **** out of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad for challenging the regime, etc.

Anyway, this message "finds what it's looking for." Every action, every policy involving the ME, or a company or trade or anything is an attempt to keep them down. It's a sulf-fulfilling framework that leads to preposterous conclusions about policy, motive, intent and global system structure based on...well, just about anything. For instance, a popular opinion in the ME is that the tidal wave and earthquake in Indonesia was a result of U.S.-Isreali joint nuclear testing in the Pacific, because no earthquake or tidal wave that big could ever have happened naturally. The U.S. and Israel did it as part of a conspiracy to kill Muslims. A popular debate.... But in the world of policy and public mood, perception is reality.

Where was I going with this....oh yeah.

IMO, the biggest "western harm" done to the ME has nothing to do with any specific policy, and certainly not with any actual (recent) intent to exploit the ME. Rather, it is the cumulative effect of the globalization process as well as general western pressure to adopt reforms coupled with old world Imperialism in the region. Namely, there is a lack of development in Islamic Jurisprudence. There is a strong cultural bias in the ME against "non-Islamic" models and systems - you can't institute them in an Islamic system. How do you justify a system built on secular humanism (Man's Law) within the context of a society that doesn't recognize the concept as valid? You can't push that type of reform and expect a positive result

Old world colonialism (and the Ottoman Empire, which relegated the religious adviser to a secondary role over time) stunted the growth of Islamic Jurisprudence. It kept it from growing into a system that can handle the demands placed on a modern government. There has been real progress in Islamic Banking law, which has shown remarkable flexibility and resilience in the global market. Great Islamic template for future reform in the region.

Underscoring the old idea that change must come from within....

Dezhen is of course correct that most of the Islamic world is appalled by terrorist acts, and none of my writing should be construed as an indictment of Islam or Muslims. I was attempting to outline what I perceive as driving forces.

[cont]
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Sadly because of oil money and the lack of organization in the Muslim community worldwide, the Wahabbi school and its ofshoots the Salafiyya (which tend to come more from the Wahabbi created Ikhwan movement in Saudi and have a more violent and extreme mindset) are gaining presence, especially in the cut-off-from-tradition Western muslim populace. This has caused the rise of such groups as Hizb ut-Tahrir and others even more extreme such as al-Muhajiroun who are gaining in popularity in Europe and even here in Australia. The lack of education most Muslims in the west have is staggering, and its no surprise to me at all that many fall prey to such an approach - simply because of their lack of knowledge of traditional scholarship and works.
    This, by the way is SPOT ON. "Traditional" Islamic scholars dismiss the AQ mindset outright. In fact, there is a group of Yemeni preachers going into the terrorist prisons who are talking the terrorists out of their ideas. They've got around 400 converts in three months or something like that.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

And why no-one is saying anything about it?
    Ummm. They are. There was and is vibrant public debate on the subject.

We have....

A Department of Homeland Security
    A National Intelligence Director
    A Fusion Center for Terrorism
    A new Transnational Issues Director (Terrorism)

All of which are to try and keep this from happening.

I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why the airforce didn't scramble planes immediately, after all it's not like this happens everyday.
    There's this really cheap document called the 9/11 commission report. I'm not going to fat finger something in that you can read on your own. It addresses what happened with that in the first 30 pages or so. Since you're obviously literate, I suggest parting with about 11 bucks and purchasing a copy.

But what I really suspect is that you have an agenda, and therefore, no amount of evidence will be enough. Faith denies proof, so I've discovered.

The 911 flap has never been allowed a public and third party investigation.

There are so many suspicious points about it is is indeed very disturbing to think about on so many levels that people are simply afraid to ask. the fear is that they may be presented with the truth of the matter which may be so shocking it would rock the foundations of the 'free' world.

Remember, just because people call other people silly conspiracy theorists and tinfoil hat people doen't mean there isn't a conspiracy going on. LOL

There's enough conspiring going on in anyone's government in any country to rattle anyones brains.

But again, in regards to 911, the Bush admin has been dodegy and far less than transparent and forthcoming about the big questions that are posed by millions of people in teh USA, around the world and so on.

are some of these folks crackpots? sure they are. But there are many very intelligent people as well who put forth the questions only to be drowned in obfuscation and outright lies from their own government who are supposed to be duly elected to serve them.

I understand the need for secrecy in matters of national security, but the threat in re: the wtc and the magical pentagon crash are passed.

People like to say large groups of people couldn't possibly keep a secret. People who say that are ... well, I guess they aren't aware of a lot of things in the real world.

By one example alone that statement can be crushed. IE: D-Day Best kept secret by several countries and hundreds of thousands of men. I would say it is quite possible for large organizations to easily withold truth and keep majour secrets from coming out.

There are so many holes in the 911 event that have yet to be answered with any certainty at all. Go to memoryhole.org and get the official commision report on the matter. Holy waste of paper batman.

As was recently heard and will likely be heard again soon, "we're mad as hell and we're not gonna take it anymore".

Anyone debunk Moores little film yet? I thought not.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As a right wing nut job I concur with MPs summary.

The 911 flap has never been allowed a public and third party investigation.
    And a brand new double thickness tin foil hat for KL too.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

As a right wing nut job I concur with MPs summary
    Birds of a feather.

Show me the 3rd party stuff please?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ot: Kl

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    This 'man' is such an ignorant knee-jerk he is one of the reasons I gave up writing on political threads... so at least you can thank him for that!!!

And that's coming from a real rabid left-wing extremist!

Ditto and I'm not just a socialist, I'm also a Canadian. Egad! I just posted on a **** political thread! Thank the gods for OT!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

To paraphrase Richard Clarke, an outspoken administration critic...

Conspiracy theorists ask us to believe two mutually exclusive claims.

1. The 'gubmint' is so cohesive, competent and capable, that they can plan and execute a major operation in complete secrecy, while fabricating a cover story, without making mistakes in the process that spill the whole thing.

2. The 'gubmint' is too stupid to keep it a secret.

Pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    You have to go further than U.S. politics (this also applies to dezhen's post, which was excellent, and IMO largely on the mark and I'll get to it in a minute).

I agree that Western policies in the ME are not always viewed favorably, often with good reason...but not always.
    Sorry didnt wanna quote all of your posts above. I'mm not a politican nor particularly savvy when it comes to politics, so please excuse my generalizations before But i was referring more to the generic mindset that people have (at least as i have experienced), as opposed to specialist views experts in the area have.

I agree with a heap of what you say, but i disagree when you say:

Namely, there is a lack of development in Islamic Jurisprudence. There is a strong cultural bias in the ME against "non-Islamic" models and systems - you can't institute them in an Islamic system. How do you justify a system built on secular humanism (Man's Law) within the context of a society that doesn't recognize the concept as valid? You can't push that type of reform and expect a positive result.
    This is actually a really heavy issue and complex area, something that i dont think you or anyone else here is a specialist in, so i think its prudent to not generalize about such things. I am not either unfortunately (though i am getting there slowly), or else i would be able to answer more succinctly than i currently am

Suffice to say there always has been a distinction between what is classified as "Shariah" (divine law, that is applied as-is) and "Fiqh" which is the constructed law developed by scholars over the last 1400 years. This is one thing that anyone who studies Islamic Law will learn at the beginning before progressing further in to the principles of law etc. "Shariah" has been used as a catch-all term to denote Islamic law in totality, whereas it actually has a very specific jurisprudential application in practise. This is the difference between the everyday person and the juristic class.

Islamic Jurisprudence has plenty of tools available for use to develop a productive legal system that fulfils modern needs - its a case of having the caliber of scholars/intellectuals who can do this. There are many good people now coming out of the likes of Malaysia, and even places like Nigeria to name a few who are up on this. You guys also have plenty of intellectuals in the US who are really doing pioneering and important work - if Mr. Pipes doesnt get them arrested or put them on his jihadwatch thing then its all good.

Without getting in to the nasty geeky details of it, throughout history some of the best scholars have stated that Islamic law exists to provide for the public interest, and protect 5 key rights: life, religion, intellect, property, and family, as well as others which include dignity and honor. This is for anyone in the "islamc state", not just Muslims. Even those scholars that the extremists like to often quote to justify their opinion have worked on this immensely, so their thoughts are based on selective quoting.

You are right that there seems to be a "bias" against other modes of government. But this is only natural. Muslims believe Islam was sent to help bring justice for the whole of mankind - so anything less than that will simply not do. But it gets complex as soon as you start talking about "Humanist law", because Muslims generally believe that mankind has some type of moral essence too that you have/experience without even knowing about any religion.

Of course, then you get in to the whole issue of what an "islamic" system of government actually entails and so on, which is hotly debated, but i dont think any Muslim of whatever persuasion would deny that they believe Islam has the means of providing the most just and fair system for mankind. This is a kind of "emotional" attatchment that everyone has - which is why you would still get people supporting for example the Taliban for their attempt at creating an Islamic State - even if they feel disgusted at their actions within it. Or more "close to home" many support whats happening in Iraq now simply because they believe that the US and others unjustly invaded their country, and are not giving the Iraqi people what they want. I mean heck dude - Sunni and Shia all working together, supporting each other under a common cause - im sure its y'alls biggest nightmare and is something almost unprecedented in Islamic history! So i guess we have the US to thank for that eh?

It really is a difficult situation, because these types of extremists, as well as the various regimes like to play on the emotions of the everyday people to get what they want. This is why Sadr could make his cause seem to be a jihad against oppression and rally so much support, when in realisty he like others were just scumbags playing the islam card.

This is especially prevalent in regards to Muslims speaking out or standing against the various factions and groups who are doing the bad things. The Msulim community is in such disarray that most seem to believe that speaking out against another Muslim is some type of wrong thing - especially to non-Muslims. Whereas actually this directly contravenes one of the major teachings of Islamic law itself, which is to stand for justice, and speak out for justice - even against your own selves.

This is not forgetting of coure, that ever since the 4th Caliph (Ali) was killed, religion has been seperate from the State. This is what made Joseph Schacht and others classify Islamic law as "Jurists law", because the scholars made the law and expected the state to impliment them in some way - there was no real consultation between the two. The Ummayads were pretty much tribal and areligious, and the Abbassids led one of the harshest religious inquisitions in history, to name but a few examples. Who would have thought that within 30yrs of Muhammads death, religion and state were seperate? Unfortunately popular thought doesnt realise this, and most people still think in utopiac terms.

Again, the prevalence of the what i call "Salafi" mindset (either folks following that school, or just sympathetic to their ideals) is a lot to do with the crappy state of the countries that they come from, the defeatist mindset and the general lack of education in most things - but especially in Islam itself. Also the communities in the West tend not to be in the best of conditions - whos fault? I dont know but its something we all have to help sort. Anyone who is faced with such surroundings cant really do anything but have such a mindset, unless they are extremely lucky. Anyone who comes from a community ghetto with severe unemployment, poverty and other things i am sure will be able to share the mindset to some degree. I mean heck, there are plenty examples i can share about police profiling of the lebanese community here, especially males.

Anyway, enough rambling, dont wanna bore y'all... whats with this word limit anyway?
    Last edited by dezhen2001; 03-05-2005 at 09:32 AM.
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

merry-

it is not so much the "gubmint" as it is the powers that be that are not elected.

IE: the warhawks in the Pentagon.

nice attempt to deflect though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.