Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yi Jin Jing

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Shi Guolin's yi jin jing is in both Chinese and English, which partly account for the longer running time. FWIW, yi jin jing is one of Shi Guolin's specialties. I learned more about the form in a two-day semianr with him than I learned from all my studies under other masters and in books and videos. I'm not sure if that comes across in his video per se (I had studied it prior to taking his seminar), but I must say that I admire his form the most of all I've seen so far.

Shi Deqian's yi jin jing is our exclusive translation from Chinese to English. We got the rights for US distribution, while the original Chinese language is available in China. I worked on that translation. Deqian also produced an accompanying yi jin jing poster. Shi Deqian is much older than Shi Guolin, and age always changes your practice. I have the most respect for the elder masters.
    so, what would you recommend for a beginner, shi goulin's or shi dequan's.

also, are there any on dvd's. not too fond of vhs.

Muscle / Tendon change

Has anyone completed this exercise with the Massage and herbs of Dr Yang Ming Jings?

If so what do you feel in regards to Chi and Health benifits?

Kind Regards
    FT

I practioce Ba Duan Jin and Yi Jin Jing on a fairly regular basis. Mostly in the morning after waking and before eating or in the early evening.

I do not follow YJM's teachings at all, but anyway, I find the benefits to be many.

My joints do not pop, ache or feel tight in anyway.
    My muscles are limber and easy to warm up.
    My alignment has self corrected through qigong practice in general.
    My breathing is not laboured in vigorous kungfu practice.
    State of mind seems to have some clarity, but that's a subjective thing.
    Physical strength is good and maintained through these practices.
    Body Balance improves with qigong practice.

There's lots and lots of benefits to these types of practices. I would encourage anyone to do them or similar exercises like Yoga or taichi or what have you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Cheers David,

Do you do the massage that is part of the training or just the chi kung section?

I do lots of chi kung and meditation, i was looking at a Tibetan Yoga for something different when time permits you know any good tibetan yoga?

Regards
    Garry

There is some light pounding and rubbing involved in the version I practice. there is small massage in the hands, the back of the head and neck.

I have looked at a couple of different versions of this now. There is some face washing and limb brushing in one, just the gongs in another and on the one i know there is small breaks for standing post before next section and in some parts a light pounding on the back, light rubbing on the lower back, grasp and rub the back of the head and neck and face washing massage at the end.

And yet, despite their differences, they are all called yi jin jing.

I do believe that old texts have been analyzed and the exercise has been repieced together while the direct transmission practice will morph ovber generations, hence the variations to the gongs, their sequence and the intent that is encouraged to be part of the practice.

Sorry, I am not in the know when it comes to Tibetan yoga other than one or two things that are very much the same as the Hatha Yoga asanas that I do know. There are so many asanas that like kungfu, you can find the sets that suit you, that fix you, that correct you, that help you and so on and many of the rest you can learn if you like, but basically you want to put together a set of asanas that will completely work the entire body, all it's joints and as many of the muscles as can be worked while lengthening and strengthening tendons and lightly stretching/stressing the ligaments. Match body to breath and away you go.

THere is a lot of material out there. It's a matter of finding what is going to work best for you. Sometimes that can take a while.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, YKM has massage and internal work but we dont call it Yi Jin Jing. Thats why i asked about Dr Yangs book i saw it and has similar stuff to what we do so i thought i would ask.

Tibetan Yoga is something i would like to try later, my internal has pretty much what i need i was trying to see how different or similar all these healing systems are. I guess they all reach similar roads in ways!

thanks
    FT

Well, like i said, it's been variated and adapted from it's original form anyway.

lots of things have come out of those two classics as far as buddhist qigongs go.

not to mention the fusion with the taoist versions of dhayana practice and their own stuff, hundreds if not thousands of other qigongs, the neigong sequences of exercises and so on.

THere's quite a lot available, a lot of it is similar, but from school to school it is all a little different, slight variety etc etc.

funny that isn't it?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The thing is are they really training Yi Jin Jing?

FT

indeed they are.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I looked at allot of books on chi and massage. The problem is I don't wan to use a book or a video, since they all worn that if you do it wrong, you are screwed.
    And 20-35 bucks per lesson, I ain't going there.

Have anyone was able to succed with the book?

johnyk-

many people have used books and videos and what not to gain new information in their practice.

people who tell you that if you don't learn it from them you are screwed only want your money and then you really are screwed!

There is a lot of "oh, this is the right way and that is the wrong way".
    Be wary of those who dwell on this and favour themselves as a 'better' source.
    Everything has some usefulness to it in the wide array of practices in the genre of martial arts.

Wise folks can learn from fools better than fools can learn from wise folks.

having said all that, if the trasnmission is clear and understandable to you and to your best efforts you are practicing as shown, then no harm will come to you from the simple breathing exercises couple with body motion.

Like I said, it is unlikely you will find anyone who does things 100% the same as the next guy. If you can establish the basics, you can move forward with more confidence.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

True, i have alot of books for massage, i have my remedial Massage qualifications and colon massage plus other healing courses ive done. Each book tells you different ways to do it and alot contradict each other. My question was to see if anyone has attained this Damo type training fully and how different or what they have acheive from it that you wouldnt from any other internal art or healing practise.

Regards
    Garry

Shaolin Yi Jin Jing

Well, there have been a number of threads about paoquan, hongquan, tongbeiquan... etc so I thought why not one about Yi Jin Jing which should be a fundamental practice in Shaolin.

I'll start off with a question for LFJ as you studied with Shi Deyang and you have mentioned that in his videos Deyang only shows bare versions of the actual forms. I suspect the same (or even more so) goes for his videos on Ba duan jin and Yi Jin Jing. So the question is if Deyang actually teaches different levels of softness/hardness.

Some video examples
    Deyang's vcd version which is very "soft" without any grabbing or very obvious twisting of the limbs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIg0_NK1OoI

and two other versions which have more torsion, torque,...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y72-29g7Tes
    and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6mom0Z0YaU

so, let the conversation begin

Good timing, Shen Yi.

I've been revisiting Yijinjing lately. I'm slowly reintegrating it into my daily regimen. Thanks for the links.

Here are our Yijinjing resources:
    DVD - Shaolin Muscle-Tendon Change Classic (Shi Deqian)

DVD - Shaolin Kung Fu Bodhidharma Yi Jin Jing (Shi Guolin)

DVD/Book - Muscle-Tendon Change Classic (Yijinjing) DVD with instruction manual (Chinese Health Qigong Association)

Music CD - Muscle-Tendon Change Classic (Yijinjing)

Shaolin Special 2010
    : The Muscle Tendon Change Classic: Yijinjing By William Oh

Shaolin Yijinjing: Shaolin Summit 2011 demo
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart