Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feeling doubt+no trust-Relationships with teacher, and the business aspect of kungfu

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek
    5k to be a disciple? That is whack!

You can't "buy" kungfu and those who ask money for it, don't have it to give.

In my opinion, but then, I guess you have your own idea of what's what and your entitled to it. I'll keep my 5k though. LOL

P.T Barnum was absolutely right though.
    My school has what they call the "wosu program" which you must first be invited to join and then must pay 6k for. But you aren't paying for the privlage of being a disciple; you are paying for special classes that are only taught by Sifu Galiano. These classes are required to be a sifu. You can be a black belt without being a wosu, but can't go any higher than second degree without taking these classes. BTW, once beginning this program, you don't pay for regualr classes any more, as you are helping to teach, unless you choose to drop out and return to regular classes.

I have also been asked for money, but I always know what it is for. This week-end my school is holding a benefit for Muscular Dystrophy. In exchange of a $10 donation, we get a mini seminar which is open-door. (most of our seminars are active Pai Lum Colorado only.) I have been asked to buy things like liniment with all prosedes going to help financially troubled class mates attend summer camp. Only once was I asked to donate money without giving something back, and that was for a class mate who's knee was distroyed in a sparring match. But he was unable to work and had a family to support; he needed the money immidiatly for food and rent; sifu didn't have time to set up anything special to raise the money. The people who help in this way or help by buying things for the kwoon, or help when we spring clean, ect... get payed back in other ways. We had money left over from our summer camp fund last year, so sifu used the surplus to buy them all a rattan bo staff.

Maybe I am being a sucker by your standards, maybe not. But I definantly feel my kwoon is a family. If I need a baby sitter, I know I have several people I can ask. If my car breaks down and I can't get ahole of my dad, I can call the kwoon and someone will be there. I am expected to do the same for my kung fu brothers and sisters.

In a world filled with increasingly dishonest or self-centered people, I like knowing I am a part of something that is a bit "old fashioned".
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

first let me say that i do shaolin-do, i am an instructor, and i try to be good to my students on all fees, equipment or extra classes , YES i charge for what i do , i have a family to feed,
    BUT to your problem here if you feel like you don't get what you pay for? if you are always being asked for extra money ( ask why, if you don't feel like it is something you should do DON'T )? and if you feel that your money is getting them to be your friends and family?
    then do like forest and "RUN FOREST, RUN!!!!!!!!!!!"
    you don't need people like that in your life
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..