Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling doubt+no trust-Relationships with teacher, and the business aspect of kungfu

There is no doubt that there are indoor students (closed door), disciple, senior students and then regular students.

But tuition is tutition. That should allow you to attend whatever number of classes was agreed upon upfront.

Now, if he'll except you, then you should pay extra (I'd say at least $5,000) to become a disciple ... that's for likfe. Now, if that seems like too much, maybe what you're learning isn't valuable to you.

Also, if there's a special seminar above and beyond the regular class, that seems fair to pay extra for.

I'd feel wierd though if every time I saw my teacher he asked for money, unless of coarse I was paying on a per lesson basis.

When I think about how little I pay my teacher overall its embarrassing. I need to get a better job. Anyone in NYC hiring? I have good communications skills and am developing a nice uppercut.

5k to be a disciple? That is whack!

You can't "buy" kungfu and those who ask money for it, don't have it to give.

In my opinion, but then, I guess you have your own idea of what's what and your entitled to it. I'll keep my 5k though. LOL

P.T Barnum was absolutely right though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Now, if he'll except you, then you should pay extra (I'd say at least $5,000) to become a disciple ... that's for likfe. Now, if that seems like too much, maybe what you're learning isn't valuable to you.
    I hope that's sarcasm.

If it ain't, I've got a very nice, fully-stocked brothel to sell you.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

No the disciple that he said is true. My school has it, except it's $3000 instead of 5

dude, bolt, bolt now and don't look back.

that truly is whack, out of order and you are being played for an idiot.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A lot of this stuff I think is just in my head though. I might have some psychological problems lol. But, I've been talking to one of my sigung's classmates and he said that he can't help me, and that my sigung does thinks quite different from his classmates. A lot of this is all in my head, I just thought that my sifu and classmates would think poorly about me, if i dont give money when the basket comes around, I just want them to like me for me and not for my wallet.

This thread stinks of scientology. Seek help.

as long as you stay there is as long as you will subject yourself to the mind fuk you are receiving.

when you finally get sick of it, you'll realize you have wasted years of your life on this nonsense.

No one has any secret stuff to bestow upon you and anyone who says they do is full of sh.it.

Kungfu is hard work and good instruction is abundant and there are actually plenty of people who will help you to get to the point where you can make your kungfu a functional and worthwhile part of your life.

There seems to be just as many people who regard those like you as sheep waiting to be fleeced as I have said.

YOu came on and asked your question, now you are feeling guilty and blaming yourself.

fine, do what you want, don't say we didn't tell you so when you look back on this 5 years from now. You're only fooling yourself and you're only lying to yourself.
    Take ownership of your life dang it. It's too valuable a thing to let someone else run it for you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Listen to your parents and the experience of the people on this forum. You ARE being taken for a ride. We all pay the same at our school whether your begineer or advanced student. IMO Kung Fu is silmiliar to religion - a way of life and should be available to all if you are willing to put in the time. Our Sifu teaches us because of the love he has for the art and not for any monetary gain.

This sounds like a money making scam or a cult, that sounds more like it.

Look for another school thats not going to rip you off.
    Last edited by JadeMantis; 03-04-2005 at 11:13 AM.

Unless you are completely over exaggerating the circumstances (dont let yourself be led to believe you are over exaggerating when you are not.) then you are being totaly taken advantage of. Much like other people here, the school I attend is based on a tuition, those students that take on more responsiblity, such as, cleaning, teaching, opening, book keeping, get a little financial help from our Sifu, as in a little cash here a little cash there, dinner here dinner there. From what I have noticed anyhow. This seems very reasonable to me. The more you do for someone the less they should ask of you. I kind of understand how someone may ask for more cash to become a "inner door" student, but I think this is wrong. They should except you based on your devotion to your style, and the level of your skill. This is the method of the kung fu family.

I suggest, that if you value your parents as strong role models and intelligent people, heed their advice.

Often times the most glittering and sparkeling gem is not the most valuable. Make sure and not to judge a school based on the building and equipment. It is the teacher that makes it a decent environment. If your teacher is actually taking unfair advantage of his students, then this is most certainly not the best kung fu in your area. Find a GOOD man to teach you your fighting skills.

This is the best advice I can offer on your situation. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

trust yer gut

if the situation makes you uncomfortable then there's probably a reason.

now maybe some big name masters will hit you up for money; but most of the best guys i've ever seen only charge if they need help paying rent for the school building (and even then, you can tell they're still pretty reluctant).

it ain't about how much money you spend, it's about the skill.

Where you live?
    Someone here may know some good options.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek
    5k to be a disciple? That is whack!

You can't "buy" kungfu and those who ask money for it, don't have it to give.

In my opinion, but then, I guess you have your own idea of what's what and your entitled to it. I'll keep my 5k though. LOL

P.T Barnum was absolutely right though.
    My master has turned down people offering $20,000 .... it's all about the money.

But he flew grand master Wong in from China back and forth, and while his visa allowed it hosted him in NYC putting him up in fancy hotels .... how much do you think that cost? That's only one teacher. This is a man who learned from teachers from 5 to 55.

So is $5,000 too much?

Well, right now its not in my budget, though I'd never ask to be a disciple, in my heart that seems like something the teacher should bring up. But $5,000, to get my master's treasure, that's nothing.

Not like I'm not getting the train now anyway. My master knows I fight and he arms me. But there are certain things that I'm sure I'm not ready to learn and honestly, he's only known me three years. You have to be careful who you give the gun to.

I'm hoping to have some life changes, and I hope I can give my master more than $5,000 .... this man has changed my life. I want to hand him some hi-fighting titles, I want to promote his style. I want E-Chuan to be recognized.

How much to serious golfers spend on clubs? I just bought a $700 surfboard for Puerto Rico (going on Wed.) which can snap just like that. This is not a hobby, this is my life. $5,000 .... actually, it's quite insulting already.

Blog Entries
    Tell us the name of the school and we'll have a much easier time knowing what kind of monster we're dealing with here.

Is it Shaolin-Do, Temple Kung Fu, Oom Yung Doe/Chung Moo Doe?

These are all organizations that are known to have *ahem* questionable aspects to them.

Bmore Banga has good advice.

If you're feeling uncomfortable, leave. It's that simple.

You don't have to train somewhere that makes you feel like that.

Plenty more fish in the sea.

Tuition doesn't have to be free, in fact it could be fairly expensive, but if you consider what you're getting to be good value then it doesn't matter.

I might have to pay more than I might for a normal class if I want to get a neigung set, but I consider it to be worth it, as I've seen the results in my seniors and my instructor and I want it. But the situation you describe is nowhere near that.

Listen to the advice of the forum, that's why you asked - that says a lot in itself.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

the fact is that your teacher or any teacher should not under any circumstances ask his students any money except for tuition.

what do you get out of being a disciple.